North Melbourne
1696471720458.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tell you what though, a thread on contracts is a great way to settle frayed nerves and sooth the masses. Not.

I don't know about you but when I look at that list I feel all warm and fuzzy seeing names like Ziebell, Wells and Swallow in the 2013 column.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Jamie MacMillan wrote a big article about how he loves the club and would never consider leaving, I've heard it personally from him too at last year's cocktail party. I wouldn't worry about him.

Finally, there is some good news for the 19-year old with North Melbourne offering him a new deal.

At a time when many young players are being head-hunted by the AFL’s newest team GWS, Macmillan doesn’t want to be anywhere else but Aegis Park.

“It was a pretty easy choice when they (North Melbourne) came to me and asked if I wanted to sign another contract. I didn’t even consider being at any other club. I love it here and the club showed faith in drafting me so I didn’t even think twice when accepting the offer.”

http://www.kangaroos.com.au/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/120088/default.aspx

You'd assume minimum 2 years so out of contract end of 2013 at the earliest.

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers King Corey, added to the OP.

OK, as for the rest...

We know talks between Thompson and the club were put off a while ago. No news since.

I have no idea about McMahon and Adams. They're key players so they could well be tied up for next season already.

Firrito's 3 year deal has nearly come to an end. Despite his below-par form this year, you'd expect he'd get a new one year deal. Although his spot in the side may not be quite as safe next season.

Speight was only elevated off the rookie list at the last draft. I assume he only got a 1 year deal. No doubt he'll be offered a new deal very soon, if he hasn't already.

Richardson and McKinley are new recruits through trade week but I'm not aware of how long their respective deals were.

Black and Kennedy are due to come out of their initial 2 year draftee contracts.

The only other players that I haven't seen anything about are Thomas, Garlett, Tarrant, Pratt, Warren and Campbell. These deals might be postponed until after trade week.

Teffy

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
May 6, 2011
Norf
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Crutchy Push
J-Mac is quality.

He's also a Scotch boy so fate will probably deal him a decent hand in other facets of life.

Villie88

Debutant
Oct 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Southampton
Edwards signing a new contract today for a year makes me happy. His had his up's and downs but was really happy with his season this year. Easily one of the best marks of the ball in the North Melboure Football club apart from the Dish and had a pretty consistent season, on the back of being one of the most accurate kicking forwards in the league. I'd really like to see Ryan Bastinac and Todd Goldstein sign a long term contract just like Spitter did, they are the future of NMFC :)

Shincruncher

Draftee
Sep 21, 2011
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Firstly, North draftees sign 3 year deals. Secondly, many contracts are extended and then publicised months later e.g.Hamish

This thread is pointless and will only worry people.

Cruncher signing off his first big footy post!

curiousLplater

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
May 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Firstly, North draftees sign 3 year deals. Secondly, many contracts are extended and then publicised months later e.g.Hamish

Sorry Shincruncher, but you are incorrect.

Most (99%) draftees initial contract are for 2 years, unless they are from interstate and then maybe they get 3.

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hamish's contract actually was publicised (on Fox Sports' website) during the pre-season, we just all missed it.

I didn't know that about the draftees. I doubt it applies to all of them, look at Brayden Norris. Also, some draftees might decide to keep the initial 2 year deal and hope that their performances would increase their next offer.

I don't think it's pointless. It just helps people keep track of these things. For example, it explains why Urqs hasn't been delisted.

Welcome to BF, good to have you onboard:thumbsu:

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
99%??? not true.... Check Basta, Cunnington, Atley etc etc All 3 years.

This thread just worries people.

All the best.

The standard draftee contract is 2 years, and there's an exact figure, set out by the AFL, that they earn. Obviously the club can offer an extension on that, but they wouldn't offer one to everyone (see Brayden Norris). There will be some high draft picks that will back themselves to increase their value before agreeing to terms.

The best example is Scully and Trengove. Trengove extended his contract the moment he got to the club, Scully stayed on the standard 2 year deal.

curiousLplater

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
May 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
99%??? not true.... Check Basta, Cunnington, Atley etc etc All 3 years.

This thread just worries people.

All the best.

OK maybe not 99%, but the majority.

Shincruncher

Draftee
Sep 21, 2011
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Trengove and Tapacott signed 3 year deals at the start and extended them by a further 2 years. Scully only signed a 2 year deal at the start.

Most North players sign 3 year deals at the start.

That is the facts champ... Stop arguing... You are wrong!

curiousLplater

Cancelled
May 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Trengove and Tapacott signed 3 year deals at the start and extended them by a further 2 years. Scully only signed a 2 year deal at the start.

Most North players sign 3 year deals at the start.

That is the facts champ... Stop arguing... You are wrong!

whatever :eek:

Shincruncher

Draftee
Sep 21, 2011
North Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is good administration to lock away the kids. Hats off to the club. Just means Basta, Cunnington and Black can't be touched until the end of next year. Good culture.

Back