AFL Club
North Melbourne
1696471720458.png

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Roo Hibberd keen for senior action
Nick Bowen March 30, 2016 7:00 AM

413200-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Mitchell Hibberd is keen to wear the blue and white stripes in the seniors this year

RELATED
To play a game – if not a couple – this year would be huge
Mitchell Hibberd
MITCHELL Hibberd's initial taste of senior football during the NAB Challenge has left the first-year North Melbourne utility wanting more – this year.

Hibberd's impressive summer at Arden Street earned him a game in North's second pre-season game against Collingwood.

This week it has also earned him a one-year contract extension that ties him to the club he has barracked for all his life, until the end of 2018.

Hibberd told AFL.com.au he was "absolutely rapt" to re-sign with the Roos and was extremely appreciative of the club's "huge show of faith".

Match preview: Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne

The Tasmanian had nine touches against the Magpies playing in defence, and even spent time on one of his childhood heroes, Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury.

Hibberd acknowledges he has work to do to build his body up for the one-on-one contests that will come his way in defence.

But he does not think that rules him out from debuting this season, and is aiming to run out for the Roos sooner rather than later.

"To get an opportunity in the NAB Challenge was great. It gives you a little taste and it leaves you wanting more," Hibberd says.

"So hopefully I can get a senior game as soon as possible and get another taste of it, and then hopefully build on what I was able to do in the NAB Challenge game.

"To play a game – if not a couple – this year would be huge.

"That's my goal this year. That and just building my body up to get ready for the rigours of AFL."

Hibberd says his development since joining North has been fast-tracked by the mentoring of veteran Roos defender Michael Firrito.

The Clarence product played most of his junior football on the wing and in the midfield, but says he has already learnt a lot about backline play from Firrito.

"Michael Firrito has been a huge mentor for me. I haven't played heaps down back in the past, but he's been teaching me a fair bit," Hibberd says.

"He's still going as well as ever and he's just showed me the structures and how he uses his body to out-muscle guys, because he's a medium-sized guy who plays on keys.

"The way he uses is body and his positioning is huge. Learning the way he goes about it, and how I can implement that into my game, has been fantastic.

Hibberd says his adjustment to AFL life – and to the city of Melbourne – has also been made easier by the close bond that's formed between the Roos' 2015 draftees.

Mitchell Hibberd (third from right) with the Roos' other new players for 2016. Picture: AFL Media
newrooooos.jpg

Of the five players North took in last year's NAB AFL Draft, just one came for suburban Melbourne – and even then Ryan Clarke, as a local of Rowville in Melbourne's outer southeast, is hardly a city slicker.

Along with Hibberd, Corey Wagner (Queensland) and Declan Mountford (Western Australia) have relocated to a new state, while Ben McKay has shifted from Gippsland in Victoria's southeast.

"The first-years have bonded fantastically. We've all just become really good mates," Hibberd says.

"On our days off we're all just hanging out together.

"We've all become close, which has been so good for all of us and helped all of our transitions to the Melbourne lifestyle."

Asked whether there was rivalry among the group to be the first to debut for North, Hibberd was unaware of any.

"There's no friendly rivalry. We all want to debut, but we're all supportive of each other," he said.

"Obviously we all want it to be us, but no one's really said anything."

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where's Dumont's contract status at?

I could see other teams that need tough inside midfielders sniffing around if he doesn't get much game time with us this year.

Where's Dumont's contract status at?

I could see other teams that need tough inside midfielders sniffing around if he doesn't get much game time with us this year.
I think the only way he has a future with us is it Swallow inexplicably wanted out. You cannot fit him, Ziebell, Cunnington and Swallow in the same side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back