North Melbourne
1696471720458.png

Last edited by a moderator:

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the only way he has a future with us is it Swallow inexplicably wanted out. You cannot fit him, Ziebell, Cunnington and Swallow in the same side.
Yeah I think he would be the perfect replacement for Swallow. Question is, will he want to wait that long.
As much as I admire the captains ticker, Dumont is a massive upgrade on him skill wise and has greater outside capacity

Looking at that list, it's in pretty good shape. Outside of the old guys, who will either retire or sign for one year, we have a bunch of kids who I believe are zero chance of leaving - McDonald, Turner, EVW. Then some guys who are playing for their future so the ball is in their court - wood, McKenzie, Tippett. Give Thomas 2 years and we're all good. The other deals will just get done.

Viper2Jester

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah I think he would be the perfect replacement for Swallow. Question is, will he want to wait that long.
As much as I admire the captains ticker, Dumont is a massive upgrade on him skill wise and has greater outside capacity

I really like Dumont too but if that was the case he would already be playing. But it isn't and you underestimate the Captain.

Swallow was more than handy last year (as good as Zeibell for example who most fellate) and it's been one game since.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I really like Dumont too but if that was the case he would already be playing. But it isn't and you underestimate the Captain.

Swallow was more than handy last year (as good as Zeibell for example who most fellate) and it's been one game since.
Swallows positives do outweigh his flaws ATM but just IMO. Its also my opinion that the game will go past him very quickly. So Dumont might get his chance sooner rather than later.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I don't share a lot of others love for Ziebell either. More than anyone else on our list, he frustrates the s**t out of me!!!

Viper2Jester

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Swallows positives do outweigh his flaws ATM but just IMO. Its also my opinion that the game will go past him very quickly. So Dumont might get his chance sooner rather than later.

Yes you may be right and I agree Dumont is very unlucky to not have played more games. Scott seems reluctant to change our inside/mid groups to fit him in (rightly or wrongly).

Swallow is a quality player, but for mine we are often too slow when we play all three in the middle. If and its a big if that we set up our season and win most of the first half of season, i'd be very disappointed if players weren't managed which would allow Dumont and co chances.

Viper2Jester

Cancelled
Mar 4, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't share a lot of others love for Ziebell either. More than anyone else on our list, he frustrates the s**t out of me!!!

Our most frustrating player I agree. For every heroic moment, which no doubt he is capable of and his courage is admirable, there are three others where you are simply like WTF is he doing.

NORTH Melbourne looks set to bring forward contract talks with free agents Daniel Wells and Jarrad Waite after their stunning early-season form.

Wells’ career was in jeopardy last year because of a lingering achilles injury and Waite this year finishes a two-season deal at North.

The Kangaroos made Brent Harvey sweat on a one-year extension last year before re-signing him and fellow veteran Drew Petrie in August.

But the club is open to discussions on Waite and Wells, and Harvey is in such strong form, he seems certain to play next year, too.

Waite, 33, played 23 games last year and has kicked eight goals in two games this season, including five against Brisbane Lions.

Wells, 31, might want two years but would be more likely to be given one after just 14 games since the start of 2014.

Former North Melbourne forward Nathan Thompson twice led the club’s goalkicking tally and says the Roos’ veterans are in vintage form.

“Sometimes we can get rid of players too quickly and Petrie and Wells and Harvey have been great contributors and they have looked after themselves an absolute treat,’’ he said.

“You wouldn’t find three more professional people and you throw Jarrad Waite in as someone who is still playing good footy.

“I am rapt Wellsy has been able to get over his injuries and rapt for Boomer and Petrie is a ripper.

“If you end up with too many players in an older age bracket there is a danger they will all end up at once.

“But North Melbourne has the right mix with those guys and younger players like (Jack) Ziebell and (Ben) Cunnington.

“They get their bodies right and work hard on their fitness and form and it’s paying dividends.”

Silky midfielder star Wells is coming off a lucrative three-year extension and has been in sparkling form in the first two rounds.

The Roos are aware he broke down in Round 2 last year and did not play another game for the season.

But as an unrestricted free agent he could cross to another team without impediment, giving him some leverage with the Roos.

Harvey needs only 15 more games to equal Michael Tuck’s AFL games record of 426 games.

He turns 38 on May 14 but played every game last year and is hitting or bettering all of his running and fitness benchmarks of past years.

Already this year he has a combined 40 possessions and five goals after a late comeback against Adelaide and a strong win over Brisbane.

Hawthorn legend Leigh Matthews remarked this weekend that “35 could be the new 30” after 15 players 33 and over took the field in Round 2.

Waite amassed a remarkable 23 disposals, 13 contested possessions and six marks to go with his five goals, which brought up his 300th career goal.

“I knew I was getting close (to the milestone) but I wasn’t sure. It’s cool,’’ Waite said on Saturday of the 300 goals.

“(It doesn’t mean so much) right now but maybe in 10 or 15 years when the young fella is old enough and looks at it ...

“When I was younger I used to look at dad’s (goals) with more excitement.

“At the moment I just want to play my role for the team and hopefully I am doing that. I got on the end of a couple of really nice kicks but overall it was a quality effort (by the team).”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/b6fac78c013c894d667048ddf91294dc

Back