Resource Contracts [Updated 05/10/2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple at years end
Retire:Waite, Gibson and Thompson

And would let one of Neilson or Hansen go
The Waite call is in the balance I think.....look at BBB today he is still struggling alone as top dog similar to Darcy Moore @ Collingwood, I still think BBB needs support. One could argue to swing Hansen up front and allow Durdin or EVW into the back 6......

its a mess our structure at the moment remove all the player magnets and start again starting with the non negotiables, Tarrant/Williams in the back half they are my 2 locks back there........1 ruck, Cunners and Dumont with Ziebell there at times as well as plugging holes up front and down back. BBB and Higgo as the 2 locks atm up forward. Other than than the is argument for everyone else to be dropped or to be given game time in a transition year.

The Waite call is in the balance I think.....look at BBB today he is still struggling alone as top dog similar to Darcy Moore @ Collingwood, I still think BBB needs support. One could argue to swing Hansen up front and allow Durdin or EVW into the back 6......

its a mess our structure at the moment remove all the player magnets and start again starting with the non negotiables, Tarrant/Williams in the back half they are my 2 locks back there........1 ruck, Cunners and Dumont with Ziebell there at times as well as plugging holes up front and down back. BBB and Higgo as the 2 locks atm up forward. Other than than the is argument for everyone else to be dropped or to be given game time in a transition year.

Lot to like about your approach Ozzyoslo. I still think it needs to be time for Waite... he's been great for us but his injury history over the last couple of years is a concern and we meed to find replacements. I think unless Daw is a bust we just have to move him on. I like your plan of working back from non-negotiables though. JZ could be a second forward (as could Dusty ;)), but more importantly I think it is worth being systematic and brutal about working through our players and structure. I think we still have glaring weaknesses in the midfield and that if we didn't have this problem we may have been more keen and willing to push Durdin / EVW through earlier.

Still think Hansen if he keeps his form is a handy backup at worst and can play both ends.

Lot to like about your approach Ozzyoslo. I still think it needs to be time for Waite... he's been great for us but his injury history over the last couple of years is a concern and we meed to find replacements. I think unless Daw is a bust we just have to move him on. I like your plan of working back from non-negotiables though. JZ could be a second forward (as could Dusty ;)), but more importantly I think it is worth being systematic and brutal about working through our players and structure. I think we still have glaring weaknesses in the midfield and that if we didn't have this problem we may have been more keen and willing to push Durdin / EVW through earlier.

Still think Hansen if he keeps his form is a handy backup at worst and can play both ends.
The season is cooked for us.....but I not say its a wasted season, Scott and co have a licence to try to mix it up ( Im expecting them to think we are a big chance to win with the current structure ) So Im expecting little or no change to be honest this week for sure.

Like I said I'm surprised the mods don't have this stickied up top.....because contracts will always be a topic of discussion from now on in when people get bored, when we are on the bottom of the ladder plotting old players demise etc......Ive notice that the clubs do that (stickied up top)

Like I said I'm surprised the mods don't have this stickied up top.....because contracts will always be a topic of discussion from now on in when people get bored, when we are on the bottom of the ladder plotting old players demise etc......Ive notice that the clubs do that (stickied up top)

We're meant to limit stickied threads to four max and if there's interest in contracts people will be bumping this regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So... Waite's round 1 & Saturday make things interesting again. How many does he have to play this year to keep on... all of the remaining games? more than 10? He still clearly has the talent so it comes down to money and list spaces. Hard to see an argument that he doesn't play on unless he breaks down completely.

So... Waite's round 1 & Saturday make things interesting again. How many does he have to play this year to keep on... all of the remaining games? more than 10? He still clearly has the talent so it comes down to money and list spaces. Hard to see an argument that he doesn't play on unless he breaks down completely.

Based on his few games I'd been giving him another year.

Thompson/Hansen - keep one only on one year deal for list management. Probably Lachie at this point.
Higgins - another 2 years
Mullett - another 2 years, surprisingly. Thought he'd a be a delisting candidate at start of 2017.
Jacobs - one year if the prognosis is okay. Or delist and re-rookie.
Dumont - recontracted (2019) - needs updating
Durdin - 1-2 years
Nielson - 1-2 years
Mountford - 1-2 years
Wagner - 1-2 years
Waite - 1 year (yearly)
Gibson - 1 year (yearly)
Fordham (Rookie) - delist

I'm updating the OP with each announcement.
My thoughts, within the quotes on the contracting situation.

Thompson
Hansen
Higgins
Mullett
Jacobs
Nielson
Mountford
Wagner
Waite
Gibson
Fordham (Rookie)

Theres a valid argument that all of those guys outside of Fordham should get a new contract. I really hope we keep Nielson on but he would be borderline

Surely the list management group wont keep all of Thompson, Hansen, Waite and Gibson though - hard to argue with their form this year though

Thompson
Hansen
Higgins
Mullett
Jacobs
Nielson
Mountford
Wagner
Waite
Gibson
Fordham (Rookie)

Theres a valid argument that all of those guys outside of Fordham should get a new contract. I really hope we keep Nielson on but he would be borderline

Surely the list management group wont keep all of Thompson, Hansen, Waite and Gibson though - hard to argue with their form this year though
Wow some really tough calls to make. Gibson is a tough one. Played well on Sloane but prior to that he hasn't been as good as previous seasons (may be because of the interupted pre-season). Also, ideally we'd want younger guys stepping up and taking his place.

Definitely keep nielson. If he continues to improve he takes thompson's spot.

Jacobs comes down to his injuries. If he can get over them and show some form surely he gets another year.

Thompson
Hansen
Higgins
Mullett
Jacobs
Nielson
Mountford
Wagner
Waite
Gibson
Fordham (Rookie)

Yep, some tough calls coming up given the requirement to turn the list over. Mullett, at the start of the year, was a monty for delisting, but now 'Give him three years.' (Well, two.)

Pity that isn't something you can go into deficit with list management and turnover. Less one year, but the same amount over two. If they kept up their form, you'd keep Waite, Thompson and Hansen on next year, prospectively delisting them all later, rather than staggering it.

Similar to the comments re the Famous Four, however, it's what's best for future list management and while you might otherwise retain and play, for example, Thompson, it may ultimately be better if he paves the way for Nielson and/or Durdin, particularly with Watson also in the mix now too. We need to give the kids playing time and they'll want it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back