Toast Contributions to success

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst it sucks people hated Buckley from the 90’s it’s sounds like you’re just projecting that hatred onto anyone who criticises him.

You can argue as much as you want that Buckley didn’t get a fair go with the footy department in disarray. But at the end of the day once the footy department got its s**t together they came to same conclusion of many us, that Buckley wasn’t the man to take us forward.

I also find the lament of not looking at other ironic since you use the exact same approach when evaluating Hine.
You felt the need some months ago, to deride Buckley, that he would begrudge Fly, having Flag success.

A very unfortunate post.

I hope from the various video’s that abound, showing Buckley’s celebrations and emotion after the win, that you now understand how unfair you were.

I know people will think i'm joking but I honestly think that most of the gameplan and the technical movement of players during a game, is worked out mostly by Leppitsch Bolton etc. I think Macrae takes charge of attitudes and motivations etc.
Fly also has a big say. It’s the reason he spectates training / practice matches on the field / like a running umpire. He will quickly halt training if they are not possessing the ball enough, or gaining territory, or not defending properly. They are a tight knit group the coaches, so work on most things as a collective I reckon.

Last edited:
Fly also has a big say. Its the reason he spectates training / practice matches on the field / like a running umpire. He will quickly halt training if they are not possessing the ball enough, or gaining territory, or defending properly. They are a tight knit group the coaches, so work on most things as a collective I reckon.

Obviously he is heavily involved. I wasn't suggesting that Leppitsch would post in the gameplan to him and he would read it out to the players. I would suggesting from the coaches' individual experience that Leppitsch and Bolton were brought in to develop the overall game style. I'm sure Mcrae was sitting in the room at the time. It just seems to me that Mcrae is more concerned with the overall attitude of the group. He isnt thinking about the particulars which he leaves to the line coaches. On the flip side, Leppitsch is probably happy to stay clear of dealing with the public. Bolton was never a great media performer at Carlton. SOme coaches are great coaches but they dont manage the fans or the media well, and they get undermined. I think the strength of the collingwood coaching group is that it is playing to its individual strengths.

Obviously he is heavily involved. I wasn't suggesting that Leppitsch would post in the gameplan to him and he would read it out to the players. I would suggesting from the coaches' individual experience that Leppitsch and Bolton were brought in to develop the overall game style. I'm sure Mcrae was sitting in the room at the time. It just seems to me that Mcrae is more concerned with the overall attitude of the group. He isnt thinking about the particulars which he leaves to the line coaches. On the flip side, Leppitsch is probably happy to stay clear of dealing with the public. Bolton was never a great media performer at Carlton. SOme coaches are great coaches but they dont manage the fans or the media well, and they get undermined. I think the strength of the collingwood coaching group is that it is playing to its individual strengths.
Very good point, Macrae is more like a Sir Alex Ferguson type Manager than a coach. That being without the venom.

Ange Postecoglu is a little like Fly.
Players love him. He also has genius game plans.

I dont think it's a coincidence that a few coaches were going over to spend some time with ange. It's the same theory. Positivity...make them feel wanted...hard work....playing exciting footy...playing to get better not just to win ...making players feel that they're a part of something etc etc..

Bucks worked his arse off, but was essentially the wrong personality to coach. Would have been a great 2IC - Leppa style.
Isn't it ironic, though, that Buckley had "manually forced" the behaviors which, for McRae, came naturally. That is, Buckley began implementing the "personality," as you say, and laid the groundwork for McRae to come in and run with it and take it to levels beyond Buckley's capability. Most ironic, however, is that those were Buckley's words after the fact.

Leppa style? Quite possibly.

Peace!

if a quarter was 20 seconds shorter, your assessment would be completely different
No it wouldn't. 2018 was an outlier and it's been documented that Bucks was told to back off in 2018 as a result of the review and then gradually backed back on in subsequent years. He basically couldn't let go of control and trust others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it wouldn't. 2018 was an outlier and it's been documented that Bucks was told to back off in 2018 as a result of the review and then gradually backed back on in subsequent years. He basically couldn't let go of control and trust others.

i heard that there was a thing called covid at the time....and some players like brodie grunswan drifted into a depression state and then morphed into a mungbean...and then the rest of the crew went dysfunctional and threw a ton of list problems at buckley and were either too gutless or incompetent to deal with it. I do wonder sometimes how the supercoach would have dealt with all of that. Maybe he would have said, not my problem, i'm here to just talk positivity...

i heard that there was a thing called covid at the time....and some players like brodie grunswan drifted into a depression state and then morphed into a mungbean...and then the rest of the crew went dysfunctional and threw a ton of list problems at buckley and were either too gutless or incompetent to deal with it. I do wonder sometimes how the supercoach would have dealt with all of that. Maybe he would have said, not my problem, i'm here to just talk positivity...
You seem real salty Fly got us a premiership not Bucks

it was graham wright who stage-managed the departure of ginnivan. Supercoach wagged his finger about not reading the room, but the heavy lifting was done by wright....as it should. As is his job. If the gutless geoff walsh was in that position he would have just shrugged his shoulders or resigned to get out of the furnace. Supercoach is lucky that he has someone behind him who'll do the dirtywork while he can remain teflon and just wrap his arms around them.....just wrap your arms supe....
i dont deny that supe was the right coach at the right time and had the right support around him and he pulled it all together and i thank him for that.

we should remember that grundy went out the door......and who did that?...well it was graham wright. Supercoach hasnt worn a speck of the s**t for that. Grundy was the best player in the competition but supercoach couldnt wrap his arms around him and get him to play.... and we dont blame the supe because Wright did the heavy lifting....Ironically buckley speaks well of geoff walsh. I have no idea why. I am amazed that he doesnt dump on him for renegging on his job....such is life

we should remember that grundy went out the door......and who did that?...well it was graham wright. Supercoach hasnt worn a speck of the s**t for that. Grundy was the best player in the competition but supercoach couldnt wrap his arms around him and get him to play.... and we dont blame the supe because Wright did the heavy lifting....Ironically buckley speaks well of geoff walsh. I have no idea why. I am amazed that he doesnt dump on him for renegging on his job....such is life
What point are you trying here? Wright has had heaps of praised heaped on him by this board.

What point are you trying here? Wright has had heaps of praised heaped on him by this board.

I post to state my opinion. I'm not here to defend it unless I feel like it. I've made a number of posts over the journey about this. I will probably do it again in the future as we revisit the supercoach is god scenario. I always thought eric clapton was an okay guitarist but he was never god. I'll stick with both assessments.

I post to state my opinion. I'm not here to defend it unless I feel like it. I've made a number of posts over the journey about this. I will probably do it again in the future as we revisit the supercoach is god scenario. I always thought eric clapton was an okay guitarist but he was never god. I'll stick with both assessments.
I always thought you were cracked, this proves it beyond all reasonable doubt.

i'm listening to simon goodwin at this very instant.....he's great coach...he won a premiership. He seems to have a connection with his players that buckley would never have. It might have something to do with the respect that the players have for goody.....

i'm listening to him speak now and his credibility is really startling.... i would definitely play for him as the coach. No wonder he is a premiership coach...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back