Controversial Question - Should Dustin Martin be Richmond's next captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin is amazing. God, I love Trent Cotchin. The way he attacks the ball, steps up in the biggest moments and has led this fantastic club for almost a decade has been inspiring. He is essentially Richmond born and bred at this point

Royalty.

However, he has missed many games this year, he is closer to the end than the start and i didnt really like it when he was 'apparently' so close to leaving the hub with his family.

What I saw from Dustin Martin after the West Coast win was really special. He looked motivated and laser focused. He wanted that win so badly.

Questioning whether Dustin Martin was a leader was never contemplated. He was rough around the edges, known as a party goer and gave the impression he was naturally talented and hardly hard working. As we have seen Dustin grow, this man is an onion with many layers. He meditates apparently, has been the star pupil throughout the Emma Murray's Mindfulness program. In the change rooms, he unites the boys, they listen - its Dusty, of course they do. On the park, he more than any other player in the competition, brings his teammates into the game. He gifts them goals, serves it to the big boys on a silver platter. He is durable, hardly misses a game! For a man the cameras follow more than anyone else, he never gets into trouble, he has grown up. Dustin is respected by all footy supporters, the most popular player in the game.

This is a man who has grown up, arguably the greatest Richmond player of all time, I dont view him as that shy boy from country Victoria anymore. He has grown before our eyes, the ultimate professional that demands respect and leads by example.

I personally think he should be Richmond's next captain. What do you think?
The RFC of this Dimmisty has evolved beyond the RFC of the pervious 3 or 4 decades. No longer do we do things to just follow what has been done before - we do better. I don't think we need to have a captain that fits the mold of how captains were previously imagined. Same as the fact that many of the most successful current day CEO's no longer fits the molds of CEOs from last century. Those in the know at the club have publicly rated Dusty as being a great and important leader of the team. If he wants the job, then yes, he should be our next captain.

The RFC of this Dimmisty has evolved beyond the RFC of the pervious 3 or 4 decades. No longer do we do things to just follow what has been done before - we do better. I don't think we need to have a captain that fits the mold of how captains were previously imagined. Same as the fact that many of the most successful current day CEO's no longer fits the molds of CEOs from last century. Those in the know at the club have publicly rated Dusty as being a great and important leader of the team. If he wants the job, then yes, he should be our next captain.

The captain usually has to do lots of media etc. I reckon he wouldn't want that. He can lead without being captain

No he shouldn’t be the Captain. Being the captain isn’t just about being on the field and leading. He’d have to do more press conferences, more work behind the scenes, more work for the AFL (including captains day) etc...

Let him concentrate on dominating on game day and have Cotch (Grimes/Vlastuin or whoever our next captain is) worry about the off field stuff

there are a lot of media commitments that go with the job. even tho dusty has loosened up a bit in that area i'm not sure the whole media shebang would sit well with him. on-field no worries.

What extra media is there? Holding up the cup with the coach on grand final day?

Cotch was vacant from media commitments and the VC helped him out.

The media commitment argument is a joke, Dusty to start his career as a country boy who lacked maturity and to end it as Richmond captain and greatest of all time would be a testament to the club and the people running it.

He doesn't need captain, but it would be a fairytale end and an exclamation mark.

And he would actually be amazing, has the respect of the players, vocal already and leads by example on field.

This will happen and he wants it. Just listen to our clubs and his interviews of late. Is it the right decision just because he’s the best player of our club? Are others as deserving?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This will happen and he wants it. Just listen to our clubs and his interviews of late. Is it the right decision just because he’s the best player of our club? Are others as deserving?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Vlastuin for mine.

I'm not convinced dusty wants it.

Dusty Already a great leader why does he need 5o be officially skipper?

Grimes and martin wrong age group too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There really aren't that many media commitments for the captain
Other than Captains Day and doing a speech after collecting the premiership cup, what else is there?

Exactly right.
And who cares what the "rules" are re being the captain. Dusty makes the rules.

As Cotch has been saying for ages now, the change in skippering he made was to be himself, not be someone others thought he should be.

Seems like there is some interest being generated in the media just lately regarding this topic and today Nathan Broad was asked about it on RSN Breakfast Club radio and he confirmed Dustin is part of the leadership group.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back