Controversial Question - Should Dustin Martin be Richmond's next captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention how easily sides shut him down with a tag. Off the top of my head, Guthrie, Hibberd, Jacobs, Conca, De Boer, Greenwood and Yeo have all absolutely pantsed him.

Just because a few dribblers have managed to stifle him on a handful of occasions doesn`t mean he`s easily shut down.

How has he achieved everything in the game if he`s easily shut down?
He gets tagged all the time and continually destroys taggers, they stifle him once in a blue moon

It was Cunnington who he lashed out on after Jacobs took him out of the game. Another one was Robertson against Brisbane in 2017 where he almost got suspended and lost the Brownlow.

So 1 minor incident in 2017, 1 wrestle in 2018, 1 suspension v GWS in 2019 and a wrestle v Conca in 2020.

For one of the most tagged and targeted players in the game that isn`t proof that he "loses it".

Consider in that time he`s won 2 Norm Smiths, a Brownlow, All Australian and 2 premierships and it`s proof he absolutely destroys teams and taggers all the time and very occasionally one gets the better of him and he has the odd wrestle/altercation with them.

He is already a leader of the club by his actions - doesn't need a title.

Just because a few dribblers have managed to stifle him on a handful of occasions doesn`t mean he`s easily shut down.
When he plays midfield he gets shut down almost every time someone puts a hard tag on him. I actually don’t recall him beating a hard tag outside of that Robertson bloke from Brisbane. They all do a number on him.

For one of the most tagged and targeted players in the game that isn`t proof that he "loses it".
Lol what? Providing proof is not proof? Righto.

Cripps, Fyfe, Dangerfield, etc. don’t get as visibly frustrated and aggressive as Dusty when they’ve got someone running with them. He drops his head when his opponent beats him and borderline gives up.

Very interesting op and great topic.

I too love Trent Cotchin. The new one. The old one not as much. But the guy we've had the last four or five years who smashes in, wins the really hard footy and inspires though his on field leadership where it's do-as-I do and follow me is just awesome. I also like that he's calm at the coal face and calm with the media. Were lucky to have him.

Having said that he can't go on forever so it's a great thought provoking conversation to have.

I for one, love that Dusty gets frustrated sometimes with a monkey hanging off his back all game. Controlled aggression is a great trait for a top level footballer. I think Dusty as a captain would grow into the role but I'm also in the camp that says he'd probably be honoured, but shy away from the focus it brings. He's a private person it would seem.

So, if not Dusty, then whom ?

Grimes ? Already 29.

Vlaus ? Still a little immature ?

Prestia ? Interesting but not inspiring ?

Graham ? I'm a big fan but I want to see more and for him to be solid B22.

Jack R ? Speaks well and loves the club but 31 already.

It ideally needs to be someone aged 23-28 who is solid Best22, a calm, collected natural leader who inspires those around him and can continue to take the club forward.

I keep coming back to Jack Graham.

Last edited:
vlaus doesnt seem like captain material

i reckon someone like grime/meatball/edwards/rance will take over for a bit when cotch retires at the end of this year until a younger player takes over like graeme then down the line teachers pet dow will be captain

and Cotch never threw a punch when frustrated?
He doesn’t lash out as much as Dusty, no. Cotchin conducts himself better on the field and off the field. There’s a reason why he’s the best captain in the league. He’s in a different stratosphere to Dusty in terms of leadership. I actually can’t believe people are trying to make a case for Dusty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t lash out as much as Dusty, no. Cotchin conducts himself better on the field and off the field. There’s a reason why he’s the best captain in the league. He’s in a different stratosphere to Dusty in terms of leadership. I actually can’t believe people are trying to make a case for Dusty.

I’m only comparing the two on the occasional frustrated incident.
Cotch is an outstanding skipper, clearly.
Whether Dusty would be I’ve no idea. Probably would be if he did it his way and not try to be like Cotch.

dusty the god would've been the best captain of all time but he wanted to let his buddy cotch have his moment in the sun

I’d go Stacky and CCJ as vice. Imagine the oppo melts. Imagine the team bonding sessions 👌

Trent Cotchin is amazing. God, I love Trent Cotchin. The way he attacks the ball, steps up in the biggest moments and has led this fantastic club for almost a decade has been inspiring. He is essentially Richmond born and bred at this point

Royalty.

However, he has missed many games this year, he is closer to the end than the start and i didnt really like it when he was 'apparently' so close to leaving the hub with his family.

What I saw from Dustin Martin after the West Coast win was really special. He looked motivated and laser focused. He wanted that win so badly.

Questioning whether Dustin Martin was a leader was never contemplated. He was rough around the edges, known as a party goer and gave the impression he was naturally talented and hardly hard working. As we have seen Dustin grow, this man is an onion with many layers. He meditates apparently, has been the star pupil throughout the Emma Murray's Mindfulness program. In the change rooms, he unites the boys, they listen - its Dusty, of course they do. On the park, he more than any other player in the competition, brings his teammates into the game. He gifts them goals, serves it to the big boys on a silver platter. He is durable, hardly misses a game! For a man the cameras follow more than anyone else, he never gets into trouble, he has grown up. Dustin is respected by all footy supporters, the most popular player in the game.

This is a man who has grown up, arguably the greatest Richmond player of all time, I dont view him as that shy boy from country Victoria anymore. He has grown before our eyes, the ultimate professional that demands respect and leads by example.

I personally think he should be Richmond's next captain. What do you think?
No. Hes not a captain and doesn't want to be. Hates that type of attention and is not the public media face of a club.

There's probably a dozen better options right now and more developing.

Tiger Of Old has it correct if Titch feels he has the years ahead still in him. Bachar would have made a great Captain. Vlossy is a good candidate. Lynch too!

Vlastuin without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Vlaus will have to...pull his finger out...if he ever want to be Captain.

Can you imagine Trent Cotchin engaging in that kind of immature stuff ?

I like him, he's a terrific footballer but Captain ? Not so sure anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back