Roast Cooked against the Saints - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question, if someone can fill me in.
Why do we play at Marvel so often? Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn, other clubs in our membership bracket, play a majority of their games on the MCG, and not surprisingly they have been pretty successful teams post 2000.
Why can't we flex our muscles and demand to play at the G more? We would fill it out better than Melbourne/Carlton would, and i think the atmosphere of a packed MCG is way better than a packed Marvel. May be irrelevant but seems like there's areas of our football department that are happy to accept mediocrity as long as they are making money.

Quick question, if someone can fill me in.
Why do we play at Marvel so often? Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn, other clubs in our membership bracket, play a majority of their games on the MCG, and not surprisingly they have been pretty successful teams post 2000.
Why can't we flex our muscles and demand to play at the G more? We would fill it out better than Melbourne/Carlton would, and i think the atmosphere of a packed MCG is way better than a packed Marvel. May be irrelevant but seems like there's areas of our football department that are happy to accept mediocrity as long as they are making money.

Marvel is Essendon's official home ground, whereas Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn are officially home at the G.

Our boys got together with Shiel for a coffee to talk about our system and where he would fit in, didn't they? I thought they explained his role to him? One wonders wtf they told him and how it aligns with what they're doing, because things done changed.
So Dylan, you run round, get the ball, work your arse off.
We'll put some effort in from rd 10 onwards

Cheers

Still joined us over carlton and the hawks.
I dont get it

The manner of both losses is really worrying, with the lack of cohesion and so many players looking flat.

Lack of height down back and lack of marking targets all over the ground really hurting us too.

Must focus on developing the kids to salvage something from this season. I want BZT, Ridley, Redman, Parish and Laverde to play every week they are fit.

Essendon should think about changing their brand from the Bombers to the Bafflers.

I'm baffled by the tone deaf marketing
I'm baffled by the team selection
I'm baffled about what actually was achieved in the preseason
I'm baffled at the 'Play the way we want to play' line regurgitated by the players ad nauseam when they don't even know what it is.
I'm baffled at the coaches lack of in game strategy and exploiting opposition weaknesses

I could go on, but I seem to have baffled my train of thought and more importantly, lunch is ready! :)

Talk about being over-hyped and having expectations through the bloody roof. Seems we are still judging this team against preseason media hype.

Compared to last week it was better. There were patches of clean disposal, there was tackling, there was shepherding, there was real fight, a few times melees started to break out, they really got up in the opponents' faces and remonstrated. There was a lot of pressing up the ground as well, from my vantage point behind goal those sort of structures were particularly evident. Trapping the ball in forward 50 and forcing turnovers on kick out that led to repeat shots on goal. There was a spirit among the group of sticking up for each other, and they didn't drop their heads at half time and pray for it to be over. To me that's improvement.

We also definitely changed tactics after the first quarter break, started to "bullet it" through the centre clearances with e.g. Fantasia running in off halfback to get the numbers in, which improved that aspect of the game quite a lot, for a while anyway. So that's promising. The fact that the coaches had to tell them to do that at quarter time is a little bit of a worry though. I think losing the runners has made it even more difficult to execute match day tactical changes and coaching, and I have to wonder whether we did match sim over the preseason without the runners, since that seems to be where we're falling down at the moment. Perhaps we need to do like Sydney(?) and have a mini-huddle after each goal is kicked, get around each other and make sure any messages are passed on from the bench. Perhaps the stoppage after the goal needs to be longer than 30 seconds to accomodate that.

Overall we did not play at an acceptable standard, we hit 4th gear for periods in the third quarter but there's still a way to go, a lot of rookie errors and dirty disposal. The team defence is still quite leaky, if St Kilda had capitalised on it we would not have been in as good of a position as we were. But there is evidence that we are capable of playing at an acceptable standard, unlike last week, and I expect continued improvement over the coming weeks. If we are up and going before round 8 then it's better than we did last year, and if we can put in a respectable showing on ANZAC day so much the better. We may even win more games than we did last year if we can settle a little earlier.

If it makes you feel better to melt for another twenty pages, roast the coach and the captain and melt your membership card then be my guest, but so far it screams of throwing the baby out with the bathwater (which you clearly shouldn't have been drinking).

Maybe just maybe ruttens defensive tweaks have disrupted our gameplan and created a rift?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about being over-hyped and having expectations through the bloody roof. Seems we are still judging this team against preseason media hype.

Compared to last week it was better. There were patches of clean disposal, there was tackling, there was shepherding, there was real fight, a few times melees started to break out, they really got up in the opponents' faces and remonstrated. There was a lot of pressing up the ground as well, from my vantage point behind goal those sort of structures were particularly evident. Trapping the ball in forward 50 and forcing turnovers on kick out that led to repeat shots on goal. There was a spirit among the group of sticking up for each other, and they didn't drop their heads at half time and pray for it to be over. To me that's improvement.

We also definitely changed tactics after the first quarter break, started to "bullet it" through the centre clearances with e.g. Fantasia running in off halfback to get the numbers in, which improved that aspect of the game quite a lot, for a while anyway. So that's promising. The fact that the coaches had to tell them to do that at quarter time is a little bit of a worry though. I think losing the runners has made it even more difficult to execute match day tactical changes and coaching, and I have to wonder whether we did match sim over the preseason without the runners, since that seems to be where we're falling down at the moment. Perhaps we need to do like Sydney(?) and have a mini-huddle after each goal is kicked, get around each other and make sure any messages are passed on from the bench. Perhaps the stoppage after the goal needs to be longer than 30 seconds to accomodate that.

Overall we did not play at an acceptable standard, we hit 4th gear for periods in the third quarter but there's still a way to go, a lot of rookie errors and dirty disposal. The team defence is still quite leaky, if St Kilda had capitalised on it we would not have been in as good of a position as we were. But there is evidence that we are capable of playing at an acceptable standard, unlike last week, and I expect continued improvement over the coming weeks. If we are up and going before round 8 then it's better than we did last year, and if we can put in a respectable showing on ANZAC day so much the better. We may even win more games than we did last year if we can settle a little earlier.

If it makes you feel better to melt for another twenty pages, roast the coach and the captain and melt your membership card then be my guest, but so far it screams of throwing the baby out with the bathwater (which you clearly shouldn't have been drinking).
It's not about pre-season hype. That mentality is exactly what's wrong with the club.

"Improvement from last week" is not a complement when last week wasn't AFL standard. The fact that they "tried" in the last quarter and couldn't win is proof that we're still fairly weak. This is an injury-hit St Kilda outfit that scraped past the supposed worst team in the comp at home and collected a total of 4 wins last year. They didn't even play well either. We weren't playing Collingwood or West Coast. Expecting a win is not drinking the bathwater or buying into the hype. It should be the minimum requirement for a side looking to win its first final in 15 years.

It was a garbage performance that exposed the true state of this club.

We were expected to lose last week. We were expected to win this week.

When was the last time we started the year 0-3?

It's not about pre-season hype. That mentality is exactly what's wrong with the club.

"Improvement from last week" is not a complement when last week wasn't AFL standard. The fact that they "tried" in the last quarter and couldn't win is proof that we're still fairly weak. This is an injury-hit St Kilda outfit that scraped past the supposed worst team in the comp at home and collected a total of 4 wins last year. They didn't even play well either. We weren't playing Collingwood or West Coast. Expecting a win is not drinking the bathwater or buying into the hype. It should be the minimum requirement for a side looking to win its first final in 15 years.

It was a garbage performance that exposed the true state of this club.
Ok

We were expected to lose last week. We were expected to win this week.

When was the last time we started the year 0-3?
Expected by whom?

WE COULDNT GET THE JOB DON AGAINST ******* ST.KILDA FFS

They have (what I thought) was a nothing list. Sadly for us. A team such as there's can beat a team of talented individuals like ours.
They had a team with a game plan suited for the players at their disposal; we have a bunch of talented individuals with a poor game plan that none of them seem capable of understanding so our team's skills are down because we have no confidence in either ourselves, each other or the game plan. We need a psychologist for the team and a tactician on the coaching staff. Wholesale changes to the team will only further disrupt and unsettle. Burning down the house is not the answer.

One question. Are St Kilda with all their injuries better than us?

If no, then we're expected to win. If the answer is yes, then why did the club sell the farm if we're a bottom 4 team?
Define 'better team'? St Kilda were better on the day, that's why they won. If you want to know whether we are a better team "on paper" then you'd have to ask yourself what your expectations are of each guy whose name is on that paper, what their best footy looks like individually and as a team, how you expect them to work together, and what that team could achieve. Do that for both teams and see what you come up with.

But if you think what we played yesterday was our best footy, you'd be kidding yourself. And if you think we can't improve on that with the current group of coaches and players, then you're entitled to that opinion and I won't waste my time arguing with it. I have better things to do than try to change your mind about an idea you've married yourself to.

Something isn't right atm.

Don't think you can put it onto one area either. Langers and gueffi ignoring the ball to get to the bench is beyond anything a coach can do,

There was a Saints kick into the corridor at one point there their was 3 dons to the 1 saint, it was marked by the 1 uncontested.

our gameplan too is off,

Norf showing what a 'response' is supposed to look like &, while it may not last, at least their fans didn't have to witness the lame assed bs we did to start off yesterdays game.
The difference between talking the talk and walking the talk is confidence, which for whatever reason, is sorely missing at Essendon.

Define 'better team'? St Kilda were better on the day, that's why they won. If you want to know whether we are a better team "on paper" then you'd have to ask yourself what your expectations are of each guy whose name is on that paper, what their best footy looks like individually and as a team, how you expect them to work together, and what that team could achieve. Do that for both teams and see what you come up with.

But if you think what we played yesterday was our best footy, you'd be kidding yourself. And if you think we can't improve on that with the current group of coaches and players, then you're entitled to that opinion and I won't waste my time arguing with it. I have better things to do than try to change your mind about an idea you've married yourself to.
I know we can play better than that, which is the whole issue. If I thought that was our ceiling, I wouldn't care. Never said we couldn't play better. When have I said we can't improve?

If you say that we as supporters cannot expect for the team to beat St Kilda and perform better than what they dished up yesterday, then the club is completely stuffed.

I know we can play better than that, which is the whole issue. If I thought that was our ceiling, I wouldn't care. Never said we couldn't play better. When have I said we can't improve?

If you say that we as supporters cannot expect for the team to beat St Kilda and perform better than what they dished up yesterday, then the club is completely stuffed.
Even though its completely off topic and irrelevent we did manage to beat st kilda comfortably last year with no fit player on the bench in the last quarter. Something is a bit off this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back