News Cooky going at the end of the year

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The club would have gone broke if it wasn’t for him. They were pretty much there when he came in. If it wasn’t for cooky asking ford to provide 2 years sponsorship up front, and for bendigo bank to help out/provide concessions in regard to our debts, then it probably would have been all over. Then he had to rebuild the finances from there.

Should build a statue out the front of KP of him.

But yeah, he has said he still hasn’t decided what he will do next year though. Sounds like even if he does step aside, he will still provide guidance to whomever his successor is.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The club would have gone broke if it wasn’t for him. They were pretty much there when he came in. If it wasn’t for cooky asking ford to provide 2 years sponsorship up front, and for bendigo bank to help out/provide concessions in regard to our debts, then it probably would have been all over. Then he had to rebuild the finances from there.

Should build a statue out the front of KP of him.

But yeah, he has said he still hasn’t decided what he will do next year though. Sounds like even if he does step aside, he will still provide guidance to whomever his successor is.
Yeah would be good if he could hang around. There's some s**t to deal with.
Out of pokies now, new stand, the whole Corona thing now probably means a sizeable debt and who knows how we'll go with home games next year and beyond considering we all go bonkers over one single covid case.
The new guy or girl will have a bit on their plate.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah would be good if he could hang around. There's some sh*t to deal with.
Out of pokies now, new stand, the whole Corona thing now probably means a sizeable debt and who knows how we'll go with home games next year and beyond considering we all go bonkers over one single covid case.
The new guy or girl will have a bit on their plate.

If we're going to have the borders again all year, he needs to be part of a push for a hub in Vic with Kardinia used as one of the venues.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry. After ACTUALLY reading the article, he's still gonna hopefully hang around and get paid.
So we're probably not losing him.
But stepping aside as the CEO.
The club making overtures to keep him, presumably in a consultancy role, is the positive. Doubt he'll take-up any role with another AFL club. A former great Cat businessman with whom he was very close was very good to him and would turn over in his grave if the great man defected.

Changing CEO and President in back to back years is the most change at that level we've had in 30 years.

Its a lot.

WE need Cookie to be around - at arms length - to help still but a new face and some freshness will be good too.

Wanna try and get best of both worlds from this - and its possibe.

First task... get the Cookie statue next to the Frank one out the front.

Cant even think about how far the club has come from 98 to now. Cookie's effort can never be underestimated. He was not alone but he was a major force in it.

Go Catters

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Did not no we had a president Carter did not say much how long was he president
I thought I read the max term was 10 years... which he completed

Might be wrong there however

GO Catters

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I thought I read the max term was 10 years... which he completed

Might be wrong there however

GO Catters

Carter will step down following ten years in the role after replacing the legendary Frank Costa after the 2010 season, despite the club negotiating its ways through the COVID-19 crisis.

His own desire to limit tenure on the Cats board to 12 years will see Carter become a victim of his own “soft” rule.

“There’s no hard and fast rule on that, but I think it’s right, and we’ve got a very good board,” Carter told K rock Football.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
100,000 members: ambitious target for Cats as new president takes over

New Geelong president Craig Drummond will oversee a club plan to have 100,000 Cats members by 2025 as the perennial contenders continue to strive for premierships.

Geelong Cats: new president sets ambitious target (theage.com.au)
I get being ambitious, but surely this is a bridge way too far? I’d actually expect memberships to take a sharp drop this year. Due to covid restrictions. And might be a struggle to bring them back further down the track.

I get being ambitious, but surely this is a bridge way too far? I’d actually expect memberships to take a sharp drop this year. Due to covid restrictions. And might be a struggle to bring them back further down the track.
Possibly is, but I remember Brendan Gale making similar statements several years ago that everyone scoffed at.... Seem to turn out pretty well for them. Hope we can do the same success as they have had.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought that. Considering our ground will only hold around 40k, that's a lot of non game attending members.

Ambition i get... bridge completely too far and a little tone deaf in these times.

Take a breath for a year or two..... try and build it a little then push harder IMO

GO Catters

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Possibly is, but I remember Brendan Gale making similar statements several years ago that everyone scoffed at.... Seem to turn out pretty well for them. Hope we can do the same success as they have had.

We simply do not have the weight of numbers, in terms of support like richmond do though.

Ambition i get... bridge completely too far and a little tone deaf in these times.

Take a breath for a year or two..... try and build it a little then push harder IMO

GO Catters

If it wasn’t for covid it wouldn’t have been seen so bad. But with all the uncertainty of the world atm it’s just not realistic. Aiming for 75k would be more reasonable.

I really think covid restrictions in crowd numbers etc will see a real dip in membership numbers.

Flogwater

Senior List
Aug 30, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

GO Catters

Agree 100 %. A poor choice of timing to go the hard sell.

In relation to the departure of Carter and Cook leaving at the end of the year, Drummond made some statements in the latest edition of the Cat Attack podcast that were concerning. He said that both Carter and Cook would remain at the club in roles so that (I am paraphrasing here) the club would have the benefit of their know-how and experience.

Drummond was vague about what the roles would involve and where they would sit in the club's hierarchy. However, in light of the fact that Carter and Cook were/are in very senior positions at the club, it's reasonable to suggest that the new roles would not be junior! It is also sensible to infer that views put forward by Carter and Cook in their upcoming roles would probably carry significant weight with Drummond and Cook's replacement as CEO.

In a non-hostile changing of the guard here, I don't dispute that there is value in Carter and Cook helping their replacements transition into their new jobs. But, after a short transition phase is over, Drummond and Cook's successor should have the opportunity to serve in their roles without their long-serving predecessors still being at the club in official roles. There is a hint of the club hedging its bets and not fully backing in the new administration.

At worst, there is perhaps a jobs for the boys element here.

I suspect that Drummond and Cook's replacement would feel uneasy and awkward by their predecessors staying at the club, perhaps in some senior advisory capacity.

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Stuart Fox was the person originally groomed to take over - would we want him now and would he be interested?
He one of the best 'sports' jobs in Australia. And he has been the CEO of an AFL team. Funnily enough Cook was tipped to be the MCC CEO because he was the best. Fox pipped him well and truly.

kittypurry

Senior List
Oct 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

GO Catters
I actually like this attitude.

One issue I have with Geelong is the language they use is often so shy. I remember Buckley telling Collingwood last year in one of their behind the scenes videos, "We're going to beat the Eagles in this elimination final," and I laughed but they actually did it. In comparison I have noticed both Scotty and Selwood using timid language around finals for years now. I mean, I could never see Geelong putting a video up where Scotty says, "Right, boys, we're going to beat Richmond this final." But that is what the Pies did. It's all kumbaya from Scotty and Sels and the club. I'd love the club to drop the inoffensive politician-like talk and use some edgy, ambitious language. Geelong is almost too classy for its own good. I want a bit more mongrel both on field and off.

It reminds me of what Conor McGregor did at the height of his powers. Here is a short video on Conor McGregor where he talks about the need to be vocal about your dreams. Also, I saw someone mention Brendan Gale and his famous comments about premierships and membership. Look at the Tigers now. Gale had to come out and defend his comments, but the joke was on all of us sadly.

If you cannot do something as simple as say what you want out loud, how can you expect it to come true? It's something I am putting to use in my own life now - speaking out loud my goals. I do see why people don't like this sort of thing, but hopefully I have articulated why I like it.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually like this attitude.

One issue I have with Geelong is the language they use is often so shy. I remember Buckley telling Collingwood last year in one of their behind the scenes videos, "We're going to beat the Eagles in this elimination final," and I laughed but they actually did it. In comparison I have noticed both Scotty and Selwood using timid language around finals for years now. I mean, I could never see Geelong putting a video up where Scotty says, "Right, boys, we're going to beat Richmond this final." But that is what the Pies did. It's all kumbaya from Scotty and Sels and the club. I'd love the club to drop the inoffensive politician-like talk and use some edgy, ambitious language. Geelong is almost too classy for its own good. I want a bit more mongrel both on field and off.

It reminds me of what Conor McGregor did at the height of his powers. Here is a short video on Conor McGregor where he talks about the need to be vocal about your dreams. Also, I saw someone mention Brendan Gale and his famous comments about premierships and membership. Look at the Tigers now. Gale had to come out and defend his comments, but the joke was on all of us sadly.

If you cannot do something as simple as say what you want out loud, how can you expect it to come true? It's something I am putting to use in my own life now - speaking out loud my goals. I do see why people don't like this sort of thing, but hopefully I have articulated why I like it.
Fair enough. I remember the last time we set lofty goals was around when Bomber started.
Was to win the most flags in the 2000's and a bunch of other stuff that seemed a bit unrealistic.
But we actually came really close to doing it all.

Back