News Cooky going at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

People bang on about how great Brendon Gale is at Richmond and how he is a shoe-in to become next CEO of the AFL. I believe Cook's achievements far outweigh anything that Gale or any other CEO has achieved. He could have been CEO of the AFL if he wanted. He put WCE on the map, oversaw its membership quadruple, then transformed Geelong from a club on the brink of collapse into a modern 'powerhouse', and shared the glory of 5 premierships at the 2 clubs.

I really hope he stays on in some capacity at Geelong FC as is being suggested.

KROCK podcast that came out in the past week was a interview with Craig Drummond. Said all the right things, but nothing that gave me goose bumps. The message on 11 home games at Kardinia Park once Stage 5 was completed was a bit confusing as he also said something about (as an example) the Easter Monday game being at the MCG.

Also said that they are/will talk to Cook about staying on at the club in a non-CEO paid role. Not clear what sort of role that would be though.

KROCK podcast that came out in the past week was a interview with Craig Drummond. Said all the right things, but nothing that gave me goose bumps. The message on 11 home games at Kardinia Park once Stage 5 was completed was a bit confusing as he also said something about (as an example) the Easter Monday game being at the MCG.

Also said that they are/will talk to Cook about staying on at the club in a non-CEO paid role. Not clear what sort of role that would be though.

The message on 11 home games at KP was clear in my view. When he talked about Easter Monday still prospectively being at the 'G, it was on the basis that it was a Hawthorn home game for that year. He spoke directly about every home game (and every possible final) being hosted at KP as our preference. Sounded like exactly the right message to me.

Would agree that he doesn't sound like a world-changer. Still, I would say that Carter would be considered by many to be somewhat the same. And yet he's presided over a massive improvement in our facilities and our finances, as well as a flag and many years of staying entrenched at the top end of the ladder. After the events of recent days at clubs like Collingwood, I'll take a president who is quiet, full of character and competent every day of the week.

Would agree that he doesn't sound like a world-changer. Still, I would say that Carter would be considered by many to be somewhat the same. And yet he's presided over a massive improvement in our facilities and our finances, as well as a flag and many years of staying entrenched at the top end of the ladder. After the events of recent days at clubs like Collingwood, I'll take a president who is quiet, full of character and competent every day of the week.

Agree wholeheartedly with these sentiments. Whilst Carter was relatively low-profile compared to some other presidents the values-based initiatives he has presided over ( for example exiting pokies, no gambling advertising at GMHBA) have been significant and position the club well as a community-focused organisation moving forward.

I think very early on he said he would love Geelong to be financially secure enough to do something like FC Barcelona and rather than having a paid jumper sponsor wear the Unicef logo on our jumper to raise awareness of their work. He was very good at the big picture stuff.

Probably unlucky not to snag at least one more premiership during his tenure, but there are other threads for that.

I get being ambitious, but surely this is a bridge way too far? I’d actually expect memberships to take a sharp drop this year. Due to covid restrictions. And might be a struggle to bring them back further down the track.
Listening to Drummond on the Cat Attack podcast he clearly states that that 100k target is over the next 3-5 years.

I know i posted about it being a bridge too far and a little tone deaf in the current climate ( and it is currently) - but a 3-5 year window id accept as far more reasonable given that context.

He also clearly states 11 home games at KP and pushing for finals and acknowledges that some Easter Mondays will still be at G as away games for us.

Ill say this much, hes got a decent background and business acumen.

GO Catters

Listening to Drummond on the Cat Attack podcast he clearly states that that 100k target is over the next 3-5 years.

I know i posted about it being a bridge too far and a little tone deaf in the current climate ( and it is currently) - but a 3-5 year window id accept as far more reasonable given that context.

He also clearly states 11 home games at KP and pushing for finals and acknowledges that some Easter Mondays will still be at G as away games for us.

Ill say this much, hes got a decent background and business acumen.

GO Catters
I really think that even maintaining current levels over the next 2-3 yrs would be a good achievement.

Beloved Geelong Board Member James Sutherland now in bed with the Murdoch Slime, writing feature articles for The Australian.

About his new-found love, golf (nothing to do with the cash).

Truly a Renaissance Man.

How would the GFC ever get along without him?

Beloved Geelong Board Member James Sutherland now in bed with the Murdoch Slime, writing feature articles for The Australian.

Truly a Renaissance Man.

This guy's even better than I thought

Truly a Renaissance Man.

He's the new CEO of Golf Australia, so probably not that surprising he now loves the game

Truly a Renaissance Man.

We well and truly dodged a bullet as it was smelling very much like a jobs for the boys set up. Lets hope like hell he isnt an applicant for our job. Will continue to remind everyone he and his son got 'Golden Tickets' to the AFL Gold Coast hub for the finals based on his 'experience with touring sports teams'' and how he may be able to be of assistance to the AFL. Seriously the AFL needs to stop treating the fans like idiots - they are getting caught out nowdays on social issues when they BS us (treatment of women, racism), and I would hate us to go ''back to the future'' with someone like Sutherland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

;)
I hope his new-found love for golf is enduring. That way he won't be eyeing our CEO position. It would take something significant for me to not renew my membership but him being CEO might just do it.

We well and truly dodged a bullet as it was smelling very much like a jobs for the boys set up. Lets hope like hell he isnt an applicant for our job. Will continue to remind everyone he and his son got 'Golden Tickets' to the AFL Gold Coast hub for the finals based on his 'experience with touring sports teams'' and how he may be able to be of assistance to the AFL. Seriously the AFL needs to stop treating the fans like idiots - they are getting caught out nowdays on social issues when they BS us (treatment of women, racism), and I would hate us to go ''back to the future'' with someone like Sutherland.

Sutherland's questionable history at Carlton and Cricket Australia provide plenty of warnings.

Writing an article for The Strayan is another red flag altogether ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back