Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Many years ago, maybe 7, I bought the Dovo Klipette Nose and Ear hair trimmer

1551849652160.png

As it says on the mensbiz site (https://www.mensbiz.com.au/dovo-klipette-nose-and-ear-hair-trimmer.html) - a small stainless steel, non-electric, rotary clipper that safely and gently removes unwanted nose and ear hair. Simply insert the clipper and twist to rotate the concentric blades. Hair is cut cleanly without being pulled. Superb quality instrument made to the highest quality in Solingen, Germany.

Cost me $40 from memory. I didn't think much at the time, thought it could work or something I would use a few times and go meh.
But it really has been a great little gadget.

What little gadgets do you have which you find are great?

I have a hitachi hand wand to relieve my neck muscles. really works those knots out. by far the best massager I've ever used

(its actually the reason I have one and not the clitoral stimulation for a partner reason - but that works pretty damn well for that too, squirty squirty)

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
This.

images

I was constantly losing my wallet and my keys around the house/at the office/in the car. The frustrations were never ending.

For ~$40 a piece, it has genuinely changed my life for the better, and that's not an exaggeration. I have brought it for others, and would recommend it to everyone. Lasts for about a year, if you use it once it has paid for itself. I probably use it once a week.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
This.

images

I was constantly losing my wallet and my keys around the house/at the office/in the car. The frustrations were never ending.

For ~$40 a piece, it has genuinely changed my life for the better, and that's not an exaggeration. I have brought it for others, and would recommend it to everyone. Lasts for about a year, if you use it once it has paid for itself. I probably use it once a week.
I'm finding now I have an apple watch, I use it quite often to buzz my phone. My missus tells me just to be more careful with my stuff and remember where I put it, but I genuinely need this sort of stuff.

I considered getting the tile, but never got around to it. Maybe the wallet version would be handy for me

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I'm finding now I have an apple watch, I use it quite often to buzz my phone. My missus tells me just to be more careful with my stuff and remember where I put it, but I genuinely need this sort of stuff.

I considered getting the tile, but never got around to it. Maybe the wallet version would be handy for me
I just got a small silver tray from the op shop for a few bucks and the keys, wallet and phone live their when Im home

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We never pay any attention when we put that stuff down so it's no wonder we misplace it. Like Hawk Dork, I've trained myself into a habit to mitigate it. Whilst not technically a "gadget" - but I'm gonna talk about it anyway - a couple of years ago I purchased myself a "forever" desk. Modeled on the olde style executive desks, it's large (6' x 3'6"), walnut veneer, green vinyl inserts, lots of storage on both sides and along the top. I really love it. I have dedicated one of the smaller drawers to hold all my things that go in pockets - wallet, eReader, keys, glasses, USB sticks, fisherman's friends, etc. and I dump as the first thing when I get home. Phone goes on the desk above the drawer.

Actual gadgets - I bought a $15 bluetooth speaker from KMart and it's pretty good, surprisingly. Always links to my phone. Tells me when it wants a charge. Sound is OK for what I want it for.

As I talk about in the pleases me thread - my Thecus N4800eco media server is a fantastic bit of kit. I may even shout it a HDD upgrade this year.

A few years ago I bought a dedicated eReader. One of the jobbies with that electrostatic or whatever screen tech that is intended to be as close as possible visually to ink on paper, rather than a blue light screen. This thing was a life changer. It fits in my pocket, so I take it everywhere. And it means I can convert typical dead time like riding a tram to work into more productive time by reading. Would've gotten through 50 books the last couple of years-ish. Sitting in a cafe? Have a read. Work lunch break? Have a read. At the MCG on my own waiting for the game to start? Have a read. I enjoy it so much, that often when meeting mates at the pub, I'll get there early under the guise of securing a good possie but actually to squeeze in a half hour read.

I reckon I'll pickup an Apple watch later this year. Also intend to pick up a CrowPi kit for hobby screwing around next Summer.

I bought my gf a tile for Christmas as she was constantly misplacing either her keys or her phone. been a great purchase. I should get one for myself
are they small enough that you can put them on things like credit cards as well? my gf is constantly misplacing hers, something like this would be very handy

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
are they small enough that you can put them on things like credit cards as well? my gf is constantly misplacing hers, something like this would be very handy
yeh I reckon you could, its like a 20 c piece size
but would you punch a hole in the credit card and key ring it in? guess you could do that if its away from the chip and magnetic stripe, bank may not like it tho?!??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
This an EDC thread?

I have a couple of Swiss Army Knives on rotation; take them with me basically everywhere.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I have so many so its hard to name a favorite but the Kindle is worth it's weight in gold. I bought some Beats a few years back leaving Belize so I could actually hear the movies on the plane but I only use them when using loud machines. I had the 3IC of Apple gift me a set of airbuds last year after looking after her for a day and find them really useful. In fact I bloody love them for Podcasts.

My Dog has a GPS tracker that is invaluable... not easy to find a Beagle on 5 Hectares where he seems to find new holes in the fences as soon as I fix the known ones. For outdoors I use a Marshall bluetooth speaker nightly.. But in the end it's the Phone that is most valuable as it controls all of these devices(more or less). With my phone I can track my dog, turn on/off alarms, open the gates, change channels on the TV system, turn on/off lights in the house, watch security cameras, order pizza and even talk on it when the rare vibe hits. Oh and I can read BigFooty on it too.

The Smart(in my case iPhone) is an incredibly versatile invention.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
I was looking at an astrolabe in an antique shop once when I went back to get it it was gone
Would have loved one of those gadgets

iu
Seems too complex for me, but I have been thinking of building a sundial from scratch. No need for it but I think it would feel rewarding looking at it and checking the watch is aligned.

Back