Politics Coon cheese?

change the name?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Calls for the cheese to be re-branded

One side of the argument - Name is linked to an offensive slur against black people

The other side of the argument - was named in recognition of “the work of an American, Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original Coon cheese”

I can see the argument for changing the name but it was named in honor of Edward William Coon who had no links to an racist past so surely some context should be used in this case

One side of the argument - Name is linked to an offensive slur against black people

The other side of the argument - was named in recognition of “the work of an American, Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original Coon cheese”

I can see the argument for changing the name but it was named in honor of Edward William Coon who had no links to an racist past so surely some context should be used in this case

It's stupidity that it might be renamed, but fits the current cultural narrative.

Hilarious Josh Thomas spouted this crackpot rubbish only to get busted in a racism scandal himself.

It’s utterly stupid.
Like I said everyone has a past.

The tallest grass is the first cut. This applies so much to cancel culture and outspoken 'offended'.

I'd rather the term be overtaken with something like delicious cheese than have it used as a racial slur. Renaming will only forever associate it with one thing.

I wonder what people with that last name think of movements like that where they are inherently classed as racist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The country names of Niger and Nigera is also very offensive, as is the planet Uranus. Saturn was the god of wealth and war, two horrible things, let's change the planet's name to something else.

The cheese was named after the bloke who invented the method of making it.

I think the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method is one of the most english sounding mouthfuls so much that the Stern gets left off the end.

Hilarious Josh Thomas spouted this crackpot rubbish only to get busted in a racism scandal himself.

It’s utterly stupid.

The even stupider thing is that the issues he was raising in 2016 were perfectly legitimate. i.e. if you're casting a 7-11 clerk as a bit part in a TV show, what race should they be? If he weren't such a flog, he'd tell his detractors to GAGF. Instead he apologises. Every. Single. Time.

Oh, and Coco Pops are now racist:

The even stupider thing is that the issues he was raising in 2016 were perfectly legitimate. i.e. if you're casting a 7-11 clerk as a bit part in a TV show, what race should they be? If he weren't such a flog, he'd tell his detractors to GAGF. Instead he apologises. Every. Single. Time.

Also, we have a former Greens MP calling to change the state of Victoria’s name because of...linked to Queen Victoria.

Amazing - I wouldn't have thought you could get enough milk out of marsupials to make cheese?

The "Coon - Extra bitey" does have a tang - must add a bit of Eucalyptus flavoured Koala milk in the mix?

We can force the name change after every blonde hair, blue eyed person with the surname Black changes their name. Brown too.

No-one else needs to change. Just the ones who are clearly racist. You know, very white people.

Albinos are okay, but only if they have pink eyes.

So now this is sorted, what is the next important issue which needs to be solved? Aboriginal children being raped at literally 10 times the rate as non Aboriginal kids?

Or is there a statue to worry about?

"The former Labour politician Fiona Onasanya, who was jailed last year after she lied to police about a speeding ticket, wrote to the Kellogg’s demanding answers and shared her claims on social media."

Am I the only one who finds this bolded part hilarious?
Jailed for lieing to police, but can't tolerate the injustice of a cereal mascot?

The context of what matters to some people...

Coon isn't even a common racist term in Australia. Do we have to modify every name which is insulting somewhere in the world, or just some countries?

If its just some countries, that's kind of culturally colonialist too. Harry connick jnr come on down

Back