Player Watch Cooper Murley (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have an opinion on those two yet. I hope you're right.

My take on our other kids is:

Daicos, Ginnivan - sure things
Mcreery - extremely likely
Murley, Henry - very likely
McMahon, Bianco, Begg- 50/50
Poulter, Macrae - less than likely
Bianco - very small chance
Personally, in comparison, I’d rate them as follows (those that have played a senior game):
Daicos, Ginnivan, Henry - sure things
Macrae, McInness - very likely
Begg - likely
Poulter, McCreery, Ruscoe - 50/50
Bianco, Kelly - unlikely

I can’t see what we get from C Brown that is more vital than just getting games into Macrae.
Same as WHE ahead of McInnes.
I’m even getting to the point of thinking we should get Ruscoe on to the wing (provided he can run out the game) for something left field and ease Sidebottom out

Personally, in comparison, I’d rate them as follows (those that have played a senior game):
Begg - likely
Bianco, Kelly - unlikely

I can’t see what we get from C Brown that is more vital than just getting games into Macrae.
I’m even getting to the point of thinking we should get Ruscoe on to the wing (provided he can run out the game) for something left field and ease Sidebottom out
C Brown is shot, he's just panicking, but what he potentially offered was an AFL level contest, which many of the kids don't yet and time for kids to develop in the vfl.

C Brown is shot, he's just panicking, but what he potentially offered was an AFL level contest, which many of the kids don't yet and time for kids to develop in the vfl.
The only contest he offers is the one he continually creates with his turnovers and fumbles. There is 0 selection integrity selecting him.

The only contest he offers is the one he continually creates with his turnovers and fumbles. There is 0 selection integrity selecting him.
Yeah he's done. Just panicking. I meant the ability to maintain afl level energy and competitiveness to help keep the pressure on, but it's not much point if you give every turnover or advantage you've helped cause straight back to the opposition.

I think the reason why we appear to be not hugely playing the kids is that most of them just aren't yet ready to maintain or in some cases get to an AFL level contest.

I don’t think Ruscoe has anywhere near the fitness for wing.

Begg - likely
Bianco, Kelly - unlikely

I at least put Poulter Up to Likely at worst

I like Murley a lot, but at the moment he’s too small and not getting enough of it. He had a quarter with 8 possessions or so a week ago, hopefully he keeps building on that.

Yeah this for me. Has moments when he flashes in and does something that makes you sit up and pay attention but when I look at yesterdays game, I was actually surprised to see he got 17 possessions. Has time.

Long term prospect for mine. I see zero need to rush this kid. He has pace to burn and a bit of x factor. Let him find his feet in the VFL this year and see how he looks after another preseason and a bbq chook for breakfast each day.

Yeah he's done. Just panicking. I meant the ability to maintain afl level energy and competitiveness to help keep the pressure on, but it's not much point if you give every turnover or advantage you've helped cause straight back to the opposition.

I think the reason why we appear to be not hugely playing the kids is that most of them just aren't yet ready to maintain or in some cases get to an AFL level contest.

Macrae and Poulter likely the least ready of those getting senior games.

Macrae is really poor defensively. Ball watches, gives opponents too much space, is really poor at chasing. You can overlook some of that if the rest of his game is very good. That’s his challenge. To get the rest of his game to that level at senior level.

Poulter is also poor defensively but his work rate compensates for some of that. His disposal is my main concern. Even Friday, those possessions that would have rated as “effective” were largely handballs at the feet of team mates, or long kicks that didn’t directly advantage us.

I remain optimistic on both of them, but they’ve got work to do.

I get that he’s a very good footballer but where does he fit on our list?
I think he’s too small to play in defence, perhaps too small to play mid, we have quite a number of small forwards.
Wing? We seem set there at the moment

I get that he’s a very good footballer but where does he fit on our list?
I think he’s too small to play in defence, perhaps too small to play mid, we have quite a number of small forwards.
Wing? We seem set there at the moment
Yeah seems to be wing and forward from what ive seen in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently been delisted and going to the rookie list.

Don’t think he lasts beyond 2023.

Can play but needs to develop physically and by some margin. Rookie list buys him some more time, good move I think.

What’s the deal with the delisting and re-rookie?

Murley has to agree with this… and the only way he probably would is if they’ve guaranteed him 2 years as a rookie

Otherwise, why agree to a delisting as a contracted player… given the slight risk somewhere else takes him as a rookie before Collingwood?

Murley has to agree with this… and the only way he probably would is if they’ve guaranteed him 2 years as a rookie

Otherwise, why agree to a delisting as a contracted player… given the slight risk somewhere else takes him as a rookie before Collingwood?

The reason is we need to free up a spot on the main list and he was the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent, but he is contracted for next year so they moved him to the rookie list.

We’ve done it a few times recently and I think every time the player only lasted 1 more season after being demoted to rookie.

Rules have changed back to what they were previously apparently.

So yes he’s on the open market. We will rookie him if nobody else takes him first.

If another club picks him up, he still gets the same $$$ and maybe even goes to a club that he has a better future at. It is pretty rare though that a player gets 'poached' when cut to be re-rookied.. but it has happened before - actually it happened last year with Hugh Greenwood!

If another club picks him up, he still gets the same $$$ and maybe even goes to a club that he has a better future at. It is pretty rare though that a player gets 'poached' when cut to be re-rookied.. but it has happened before - actually it happened last year with Hugh Greenwood!
It did happen with Greenwood, but he had to agree to do it first. They had to offer him a contract/money before he agreed.

But it does rarely happen, and probably a 1% chance it happens to a 1st year player who has only played VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back