Player Watch Cooper Murley (Delisted 2023)

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
This kid gives me Brent Harvey vibes. Quick thinker and mover, knows where the goals are. De Goey the only other player on the list like that. Could be v handy…

Abdul_The_Bull

All Australian
Aug 3, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
They don’t really need to, they’re following them the same way we do. They have access to a lot more, so it means we have to be able to work harder (ie get to as many games as possible, buy all the subscriptions etc.). Everything we provide to the public, the recruiters see too. Occasionally if they can’t attend a game they might ask how it went, who stood out, but they’re the gurus in this. We have the fun of doing their job without the pressure of getting the sack by incorrectly rating players.

This year we got 40/40 on our Power Rankings and all went in the main draft. It’s why recruiters can trust what we do, and it’s a free resource (like having an additional team of scouts, albeit independent ones that share info with other teams), so they’ll use it. They download the draft guide just like anyone else. At the end of the day, even if you disagree with us, it’s always worth having a look because it’s an informed decision and not like it’s one person, more often than not, we’ve got 5-6 people looking through content for accuracy.

In saying that, we are more attached to the players and clubs, though we still talk to recruiters, it’s not the same volume that Cal does, which is why his Phantom Drafts will always be the most accurate. We often defer to players and then find out from recruiters to see who is calling bluffs/trying to steer media in a different direction.

I admire your commitment and dedication to this process. It would take a lot of effort to cover all bases and stay abreast of emerging talent - it's almost a lifelong proposition. Props to you.

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
He reminds me of orazio fantasia.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Probably more of a Ben Sinclair 2.0 than anything.

Probably more of a Ben Sinclair 2.0 than anything.

Benny Sincs had great hands but dodgy kicking. Murley reportedly doesn’t suffer from that affliction.

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nothing like Sinclair as a player. If we limit his ceiling to that of a role player than he'd probably end up a Shannon Byrnes type player from Geelong/Melbourne which is still pretty handy.

VinnieB

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I’m reading here, he is likely to have been a top 10 talent by Xmas.

A lot of us (less mature types:p) pick favourites of the new kids. Before the season even starts.

Last year mine was McCreery. This year it’s Murls. For no particular reason. Just fan intuition.

Back