Player Watch #25 Cooper Vickery

Remove this Banner Ad

Konstanty as well from what Instagram would suggest. I've never seen two people in so many photos together not with the last names Florent or Hayward.

But a reunion will be tough to do. This board still wants to fit four Warners, two McDonalds and two McCartins into the team. With the Gippsland power trio, that'd take us to 11. Would only leave half the team for the rest of the squad, a problem that would be alleviated by the fact this board thinks Rankin, Rowbottom, McInerney and Florent are all goners as Vic Metro kids.

Actually - my bad! - I meant Konstanty not Vickery. Oops.

But your point stands.

I've read that Cooper is great mates with Bailey Humphrey and that Bailey loves playing footy with Cooper (as they did at Gippsland Power). I mention this because I am confident that Bailey is one of those players whose career the Swans will track closely. Imagine if we could reunite them some day down the track...
Perhaps to our detriment in this scenario, I hope Humphrey sticks fat at the Suns.

Watching his interviews after being drafted, I feel he's a real chance to as well.

Perhaps to our detriment in this scenario, I hope Humphrey sticks fat at the Suns.

Watching his interviews after being drafted, I feel he's a real chance to as well.

First, I reiterate I was confusing Konstanty and Vickery when I said that. Konstanty is the one that Humphrey has said he absolutely loves playing with.

Second, what do you mean our detriment - do you think the Suns might lure Konstanty to play with Humphrey? Why not the other way around?

First, I reiterate I was confusing Konstanty and Vickery when I said that. Konstanty is the one that Humphrey has said he absolutely loves playing with.

Second, what do you mean our detriment - do you think the Suns might lure Konstanty to play with Humphrey? Why not the other way around?
Nah, I meant not having Humphrey rather than having Humphrey would be to our detriment.

I'd just like to see the Suns have a good run of stability and retaining their top talents, which they do appear to be getting closer to, in spite of Rankine leaving this year.

I'm sure making finals will make a huge difference. Would be great for the comp if they could manage that next year.

At Pick 27 the club has expressed a high degree of confidence in Cooper's abilities and determination. I for one will watch with great interest.
I thought it was interesting Beatson speaking after the draft about Cooper's anticipated role.

"We just think we have been looking for a small defender that can play on the likes of Kysiah Pickett, Charlie Cameron and Cody Weightman.
"They're the ones that get under your skin and are hard to match up on. We think he has the potential to be able to do that."

From rookieme central;
“A hard running speedster who consistently put up strong numbers for Gippsland Power, playing in both defence and on a wing"
An outside-dominant player, Vickery is still only light at 72kg, and his traits suit that outside role.....kicking efficiency of 68.3 per cent quite high, but also only winning a third of his touches in a contested situation.

Now Beatson did say that Cooper was in our top 12 players on the draft board and was adamant after his selection, “He’s not a bolter on our list. We just feel we had been looking for a small defender."

So just a couple of observations;
Our recruiters have always said early rounds are best available, later rounds needs can be considered
What did the recruiters see in Vickery, that they thought he could go from a speedy outside running player to a lockdown small defender?

I thought it was interesting Beatson speaking after the draft about Cooper's anticipated role.

"We just think we have been looking for a small defender that can play on the likes of Kysiah Pickett, Charlie Cameron and Cody Weightman.
"They're the ones that get under your skin and are hard to match up on. We think he has the potential to be able to do that."

Now Beatson did say that Cooper was in our top 12 players on the draft board and was adamant after his selection, “He’s not a bolter on our list. We just feel we had been looking for a small defender."

Our recruiters have always said early rounds are best available, later rounds needs can be considered
What did the recruiters see in Vickery, that they thought he could go from a speedy outside running player to a lockdown small defender?
In the “meet the 2022 draftee” videos Cooper referred to himself as a lockdown defender so perhaps the write ups haven’t properly captured his broader skillset?

Last edited:

Are you sure? I thought they said we rated Rowston at 12th. I think they also said they rated all our draftees in our top 20. I don't imagine they would have publicly said they rated Vickery better than 12th (i.e. Rowston) because that would make it look like the bid on Rowston was just spiteful.

Are you sure? I thought they said we rated Rowston at 12th. I think they also said they rated all our draftees in our top 20. I don't imagine they would have publicly said they rated Vickery better than 12th (i.e. Rowston) because that would make it look like the bid on Rowston was just spiteful.
I will be watching Rowston closely in the next few years, along with our picks, as well as the talls from this draft. Will be interesting to rank the 10-40 players say in 3 years. I know it is a bit of a lottery trying to pick which raw kid will outperform others. But it will be interesting.

I will be watching Rowston closely in the next few years, along with our picks, as well as the talls from this draft. Will be interesting to rank the 10-40 players say in 3 years. I know it is a bit of a lottery trying to pick which raw kid will outperform others. But it will be interesting.
Interesting to see that Green appears to have plateaued after such a promising start. Would have been delighted to get him at the time.

Interesting to see that Green appears to have plateaued after such a promising start. Would have been delighted to get him at the time.
I wouldn't say he's plateaued that much. Was averaging 27 disposals this year to round 14. Dropped away from there and only got 25+ once after that point, but the Giants were also 2-6 in that stretch, including two 50+ point losses. And he came 3rd in their best and fairest. That's a pretty strong year for a 21 year old.

That said, Giants can have him.

In the “meet the 2022 draftee” videos Cooper referred to himself as a lockdown defender so perhaps the write ups haven’t properly captured his broader skillset?
I've only seen him in the U18 championships but he was very much a running HB in those.
In that vid he said he was a lockdown defender who likes to hurt teams going the other way

If he's able to do both those things then he certainly has a future.

Certainly wouldn't stake my house on it. :)

With regard to your second point it's possible we could have rated Rowston, Konstanty and Vickery all around the same mark and used strategic bidding/selection.

But I tend to take these things with a grain of salt as in every year we hear 'We were surprised (player X) was still there at our pick as we rated him in our top (insert number well ahead of where he was picked)'.

This year with the kerfuffle of bidding for Rowston and the picking of Vickery higher than the 'draft experts' expected, Beatson was certainly combative and possibly may have gilded the lily a bit, with regard to those two, whilst obviously still rating them highly.

I've only seen him in the U18 championships but he was very much a running HB in those.
In that vid he said he was a lockdown defender who likes to hurt teams going the other way

If he's able to do both those things then he certainly has a future.

Certainly wouldn't stake my house on it. :)

With regard to your second point it's possible we could have rated Rowston, Konstanty and Vickery all around the same mark and used strategic bidding/selection.

But I tend to take these things with a grain of salt as in every year we hear 'We were surprised (player X) was still there at our pick as we rated him in our top (insert number well ahead of where he was picked)'.

This year with the kerfuffle of bidding for Rowston and the picking of Vickery higher than the 'draft experts' expected, Beatson was certainly combative and possibly may have gilded the lily a bit, with regard to those two, whilst obviously still rating them highly.
Worth noting Dalrymple also said we had Konstanty, Vickery, and Mitchell in our top 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the backline we're trying to build. Full of line-breakers that are also extremely defensively accountable. Even Gould and Francis look like they will be handy contributors in attack and defence.

It already is, and should continue to prove to be, quite a weapon for the next decade.

Last edited:
I really like the backline we're trying to build. Full of line-breakers that are also extremely defensively accountable. Even Gould and Francis look like they will be handy contributors in attack and defence.

It already is, and should continue to prove to be, quite a weapon for the next decade.
Agree with this, though ironically maybe the only one piece we're lacking is that not-attacking, not-flashy, old-fashioned brute defender. The Reg 2.0. I still believe Tom McCartin will be this, but it wouldn't hurt to have a reinforcement in this regard, which I don't think new additions Paddy, Gould and Francis will be.

Although I don't think this is news to anyone. Just interesting how the back six has evolved!

Agree with this, though ironically maybe the only one piece we're lacking is that not-attacking, not-flashy, old-fashioned brute defender. The Reg 2.0. I still believe Tom McCartin will be this, but it wouldn't hurt to have a reinforcement in this regard, which I don't think new additions Paddy, Gould and Francis will be.

Although I don't think this is news to anyone. Just interesting how the back six has evolved!
I agree re Paddy and Francis not being pure brutes but not so sure about Gould. He's a hard man. If those two can play hard ENOUGH then we should be OK.
We did try with Melican, Aliir and O'Connor but it just didn't work out. No shame in that.

I agree re Paddy and Francis not being pure brutes but not so sure about Gould. He's a hard man. If those two can play hard ENOUGH then we should be OK.
We did try with Melican, Aliir and O'Connor but it just didn't work out. No shame in that.
Gould is only 191cm, so just not sure he's gonna be able to take the giants like the Kings, Naughtons etc. of the comp. But I could be wrong.

Gould is only 191cm, so just not sure he's gonna be able to take the giants like the Kings, Naughtons etc. of the comp. But I could be wrong.
Tom isn't that tall either at 194. King at 202 and really big guys like Hawkins (198) and McKay (204) who are solid too are too much for just about anyone one on one. Has to be a real team effort.
I don't know whether Gould has what it takes to be an effective part of that effort but for sure they can easily out reach him, and Tom!

They guy we got from the academy looks like he could play second row for the Wallabies. And he's quick AF too apparently.

They guy we got from the academy looks like he could play second row for the Wallabies. And he's quick AF too apparently.
William Edwards Age 19
197cm 100kg
Played 4 games with the VFL side last year. Played for the Allies too. While he mainly plays back he did play forward too and kicked a few goals.
Looks like he's still growing into his body a bit but his running stats are impressive for such a big dude.
He has his own thread of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back