Toast Copeland Trophy 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to all the players who made this year possible. Glad to see Mitchell's hard work vindicated, even if the media didn't notice him. Sad that the timing meant Pendles and Mitchell were denied their spots on the podium; if only they'd cut the dessert break by two minutes!

Now the brickbats, that was, without doubt, the worst Copeland I have ever watched. Down right amateurish. So disappointing the media department chose music, knowing it would mean viewers on the live stream would be cut off, but going with it anyway. Then blank screens with bloody awful singing droning along behind it during the meal breaks.

Or we could just accept Josh had a fantastic year and is a worthy winner.
I agree he had a fantastic year and before the night started wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if he won it.

However, he clearly didn't do much in finals in terms of getting the ball or using it well (side from that moment at the end of prelim), so its interesting to know how the coaches rated his finals games given they have a different perceptive than us, what's wrong with that?

[/QUOTE]
So how does Bluestar benefit from the sponsorship?

Imagine if you ran a logistics company.
And you go hang out at a footy game, or the Collingwood function.
It’s not as if you’d be sitting in the middle of the cheer squad.
You chat yo the fellow suit sitting next to you, turns out he’s from one of the other sponsors - Coles.
You chat about the footy. At the end of the game you exchange business cards …

Say what you want about McGuire, but events like these & president dinners etc really miss his ability to work a room. Browne just doesn’t have the same presence.
Very true! And Browne had a bit of the ol Steve Bracks 'Ernie EEEEEls, fantashtics' going on too! lol 😂

Congratulations to all the players who made this year possible. Glad to see Mitchell's hard work vindicated, even if the media didn't notice him. Sad that the timing meant Pendles and Mitchell were denied their spots on the podium; if only they'd cut the dessert break by two minutes!

Now the brickbats, that was, without doubt, the worst Copeland I have ever watched. Down right amateurish. So disappointing the media department chose music, knowing it would mean viewers on the live stream would be cut off, but going with it anyway. Then blank screens with bloody awful singing droning along behind it during the meal breaks.
I watched on Kayo, which was a much better experience albeit the microphone volume levels needed adjustment. No cuts on account of the music and highlights & interviews during the meal breaks.

Well done Josh on the Copeland. A bit of a surprise to be fair but a worthy winner and much deserved. Had a great consistent season with moments of brilliance. AA as well.

Mitchell taking 4th is a great effort from him. Slotted straight into the team like a glove and was a big reason why we became the best.

Pendles continues to collect trophies, what a legend. All the others, IQ & Bruz, Crispy, Checkers all got rewarded.

JDG......thought he'd get a Top 5 to be honest so to see him in 10th was the biggest shock for me. Not sure what went wrong there.
Yeah agree about Jordy, good to see Checkers recognised. Perhaps a disappointing year for the captain not to repeat his top 3 finish of last year. Suppose the captaincy might have taken a toll.

Great effort by Josh to win the Copeland in a Premiership year.

He joins an illustrious club to win the flag and Copeland in the same year.

2023 = Josh Daicos
2010 = Dane Swan
1990 = Tony Shaw
1958 = Thorold Merrett
1953 = Bob Rose
1936 = Jack Regan
1935 = Albert Collier
1930 = Harry Collier
1929 = Albert Collier
1928 = Harry Collier
1927 = Syd Coventry

I agree he had a fantastic year and before the night started wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if he won it.

However, he clearly didn't do much in finals in terms of getting the ball or using it well (side from that moment at the end of prelim), so its interesting to know how the coaches rated his finals games given they have a different perceptive than us, what's wrong with that?

You’d have to know what job the coaches asked him to play in finals, and how he delivered against it, to know. It’s a bit like the WHE paradox with many posters not thinking him worthy of selection, yet he’s picked every week, likely because he does the job he’s asked to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as the live stream is concerned they really need to do a much more professional job with it especially if it's going live on Fox/Kayo with potentially millions of people watching. This means a full production. No stops in the stream for dinner, dessert etc. If there is a break we need a panel talking and interviewing etc. Keep the vision on the tables, go around the room a lot more, take us in there close and frequently. Bring some of the old players back like Swanny, Dids, Pebbles or Browny, Monky, Mick McGuane etc and get them all having a chat/banter amongst themselves to the camera. Also, don't just stop the stream abruptly after the final speech. No wrap up or nothing. It just seemed rushed, last minute and not well planned. Plenty of scope for improvement for next year when we go Back to Back.

Spot on … being a flag year I was expecting more …. I recall 2010 Copeland and the party like atmosphere …. Also remember a few back they used to do interviews during the breaks …. And if showing on foxtel causes them to skip interviews and rush the whole thing then stick to just the standard website streams …. Btw loved McRae speach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Point of trivia Jordy and D.Moore have never finished ahead of Pendles in a Copeland count. Amazing by Scott but time for this pair to go up a cog after being top 10 draft picks and still letting Old Man River :) finish ahead of them every year. You reckon by now they could have closed that gap a bit. Bruzzi from the same draft has.

Point of trivia Jordy and D.Moore have never finished ahead of Pendles in a Copeland count. Amazing by Scott but time for this pair to go up a cog after being top 10 draft picks and still letting Old Man River :) finish ahead of them every year. You reckon by now they could have closed that gap a bit. Bruzzi from the same draft has.
No shame in finishing behind Pendles 😉

Congratulations,Josh.Well done.

But the Collingwood media department really dropped the ball tonight.Cutting away every time there was a highlights package,and then when they cut back at the end,Josh was in the middle of his acceptance speech.It’s really not good enough.They should have done it a lot better than this.

Seemed like a very last minute thing with Foxtel.

Was obviously done on the cheap with some people who prob normally just do video for the big screen at the event rather than a full broadcast crew that Fox Footy would use for stuff like Rising Star and All Aus.

Nick should have won almost every award in the AFL if it wasn't for that injury.

Love Josh obviously Nick was the clear best player all year.

Fly giving a big shoutout to fin specifically, reckon that would make him feel good.

Best 18 next year, big things for Fin.

Not that it says anything about his future, but I felt Adams over the course of the season was deserving of a top 10 finish. It’s a quality top 10 though. I’m also surprised Josh came out on top because his finals series was below average aside from maybe v the Dees if he did a job on Langdon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back