Discussion Coping with “Sainthood”

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting hearing all this about Perth. I’ve always wanted to go to Perth yet never been. One day. But yeah didn’t realise so many sainters there. I thought Carlton had the best non WA team support over there. I’m in northern Melbourne (north west actually) so everyone is Essendon or Collingwood here. Booooooooring. Meeting a sainter is actually a big deal.
going by the supporter group size we monster Carlton over her in WA … the Tigers are the biggest followed by Hawthorn then Collingwood .. we sit at 4th in WA for years we were the only interstate supporter group in the AFL … our founding president and a few blokes back in the 70's used to catch up for beers and listen to the saints game on the radio at a local Perth pub that started to grow and grow to the point they decided to make it an official supporters group

Been a member for 30 yrs.
Have no bloody idea if I'll ever see a flag or not.
But one thing I do know is I now have enough Saints Scarves that if I ever get locked in a tower by an evil wizard I can tie them all together climb out the window and escape down the wall.
So it's all been worth it I guess

Been a member for 30 yrs.
Have no bloody idea if I'll ever see a flag or not.
But one thing I do know is I now have enough Saints Scarves that if I ever get locked in a tower by an evil wizard I can tie them all together climb out the window and escape down the wall.
So it's all been worth it I guess
Impressive. Kinda like rapunzel.

I’m fitty eight and born a Sainter.
Surely my kidneys and liver will start protesting soon against the constant abuse they’ve been enduring lo all these years.
I need to win a flag while they’re still functioning ok to participate in a week long bender.

the most random place I've come across a saints fan was in Cusco in Peru.. we had just landed and I was struggling with the altitude so I went to sit down while our taxi came when the lady checking off the taxis in the taxi stand had a Saints membership pen (remember the one that had the pullout banner thing saying "go Saints" ) I asked her where she got it from turns out her son was dating a girl from Melbourne so he came back with all of this Saints stuff that he was giving to the family as gifts from his trip

Back in 2005 Mrs Jiggster and myself were in the cathedral at Córdoba in Spain . Among the throngs of people in that most beautiful of buildings, I came face-to-face with a bloke wearing a Saints guernsey ! ️ I have a shrewd idea that he’d just beaten me to lighting a couple of candles for the club!!!!

Last edited:
As most of those who know me know, I follow Liverpool FC in the English Premier League. In many ways the club is the same as the Saints; a little cultish, a little apart from the rest of the league, (IMO of course) etc. But there is one inescapable difference; history.

The club went though relative hard times about 12 years ago when it was sold to American investors Hicks and Gillette who proceeded to bleed the club dry like the Glazers did and do to the Mancs. Luckily Hicks and Gillette were eventually so broke that they were forced by the bank to sell the club, and even more luckily, the folks they sold it to have been excellent custodians, investing in their club intelligently, against plenty of pressure from the traditional supporters at times. Not every move they made was the right one, but eight and a half years later, you'd have to say they have been great for the club overall, and have it poised to create a dynasty at the top.

Going through that and coming out the other side, it made me realise that the only way for St Kilda to get anywhere starts with money.

Money buys the best coaching staff, and most importantly nowadays, the professionals in back of house who can make informed intelligent decisions. Money buys facilities that allow professional sports people to reach their potential. Money also buys good marketing, merchandising, membership services that keep people coming back for more and keep more people coming.

Once you've got the money, you get the coaches. When you get the coaches, you get teams over performing and showing potential to be better than they are now. When that happens, you get buy in from better players from rivals and from the players from your club that you need to keep. When that happens, you usually get more consistency and better results, which in turn brings in better players and the cycle continues.

But it starts from having the right people running the club, and making good decisions. Something we've fundamentally lacked over the years. I thought the Butters admin at first was just what the club needed, but it didn't last long. Finnis has in many ways brought this club into the modern era off field, he seems to get the way sport is going. But the football side has been stagnant for nearly a decade. Bassat could be the answer for us, as could Lethlean. But until we get strong continued investment we'll always be taking three steps forward and two back.

Will it ever come? Doubtful. No rich investor sees AFL as the goldmine that football/soccer is. Will the sport even exist on a professional level in 50 years? The serious injuries stack up, will parents continue to encourage their kids to pursue a career where they could end up like Paddy McCartin or Koby Stevens, or even just like Jack Steven? There are currently 6 AFL players who earn more than a million dollars anually, which is about half of what Neymar Jr earns... in a WEEK. There are 18 AFL clubs, whereas there are countless football or basketball clubs around the world. Picking up AFL as a sport is the equivalent of learning to be fluent in Hungarian.

Just a depressing ramble, sorry. Anyway GO Saints!!!

An “interesting” choice of clubs to run a comparison to the Saints with.....
Mate, can I ask you a question, with the greatest respect? Are you originally from Liverpool? or have Liverpool-born kin? I hope that’s not seen as an impertinent question, I assure you, I ask in a respectful way.

Last edited:
I’m just going by the numbers in local junior and senior footy. Not really dropping off. Certainly not as adults going to soccer. Far to expensive obviously they get many more as juniors because it’s easy to play certainly at a low level and less contact for the soft parents but with girls now playing footy those numbers continue to go up. Anyway footy will be around long enough for me my daughter and hopefully my daughters kids. It’s the greatest game in the world.
Agree- still THE best game.

Agree- still THE best game.

I love soccer...... I grew up following it back in Liverpool. However, it is beyond dispute ( in my humble opinion ) that Australian Rules Football is simply the greatest game on the planet !!!!!!
I find room in my heart to enjoy BOTH codes..... but AFL wins out hands down!!!!

Back in 2005 Mrs Jiggster and myself were in the cathedral at Córdoba in Spain . Among the throngs of people in that most beautiful of buildings, I came face-to-face with a bloke wearing a Saints guernsey ! ️ I have a shrewd idea that he’d just beaten me to lighting a couple of candles for the club!!!!
in 2008 i took my Saints jumper over to India, getting up at 4am i made the trek with jumper in hand to the holy river Ganges where i cleansed the jumper in the holy waters to remove the curse on our club.. the holy man who helped me told me the jumper must stay unwashed by any other waters for the blessing to be solidified ... for 2 weeks i lugged the stinking jumper that was starting to develop a mold until i was able to dry it out properly... enter 2009 i thought i needed a statue erected of me or something for removing the curse only for it to be a tease .. 2010 same again i put it down to time zones that the curse would be lifted that year ... but another cruel joke was played.. by 2013 the smell was pretty funky so it got a wash just in time for Ross Lyon to walk out ... i dont mess with that jumper anymore :)

in 2008 i took my Saints jumper over to India, getting up at 4am i made the trek with jumper in hand to the holy river Ganges where i cleansed the jumper in the holy waters to remove the curse on our club.. the holy man who helped me told me the jumper must stay unwashed by any other waters for the blessing to be solidified ... for 2 weeks i lugged the stinking jumper that was starting to develop a mold until i was able to dry it out properly... enter 2009 i thought i needed a statue erected of me or something for removing the curse only for it to be a tease .. 2010 same again i put it down to time zones that the curse would be lifted that year ... but another cruel joke was played.. by 2013 the smell was pretty funky so it got a wash just in time for Ross Lyon to walk out ... i dont mess with that jumper anymore :)
Ross left in 2011 dude - think you waited too long to lift the curse....

So it's YOUR fault then?

At least it's coz of you Watters was sacked and we got Richo.....

Wait.... so it's YOUR fault then?

Colleague. Colleague. Colleague (SIGH) SOME “secrets” should never be revealed 🥴

might be time for us to start a gofundme to get a repeat of that trip, so you can cleanse the curse again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An “interesting” choice of clubs to run a comparison to the Saints with.....
Mate, can I ask you a question, with the greatest respect? Are you originally from Liverpool? or have Liverpool-born kin? I hope that’s not seen as an impertinent question, I assure you, I ask in a respectful way.
No offence at all taken, Jigg! I am not a Scouser, though I have a lot of love for the people and place, I do actually have family there, but really didn't even know about them when I made my choice.

I grew up in the seventies in a coastal village in Somerset, down in the south west of England. The nearest football teams of any repute to us were never on TV or radio, never in the paper. Most of the kids I went to school with supported the number one team I guess, which at that time was... you guessed it! I had one mate who supported Forest and another who was one of your stripe, but the rest were Reds.

(No idea if our part of the world were just Glory Hunters (probably) or they had some affiliation with Liverpool that defied eras and results as I moved to Australia a couple of years before they were kindly taken off their perch by a whisky nosed Scot...)

They spent their time in the school bus and break times chatting about Kevin Keegan and Ray Clemence and their teammates. When I visited their houses, their bedroom walls were plastered with Keegan posters and Red paraphernalia. Later, when we played football in the schoolyard, they were all trying to be Rush and Dalglish. I didn't really care much about sport, but I heard more about the Reds than any other team, and constantly. I heard more reds stats, heard about every triumph, you get the picture...

Eventually I started looking out for their results, so I had something to talk to friends about. Later when I got a little into the game, I identified with Liverpool just out of familiarity I guess. Used to want to be Phil Neal when playing in that school yard, though I'd never even seen him play!

It was when I was in Australia that my devotion to football was fostered - absence makes the heart grow fonder! I got nostalgic watching the Monday night Premier League highlights shows, and by then my football family was set.

I eventually moved back to Europe and visited Liverpool, walked around the neighborhood where my great grandmother's shop used to be (now a university campus), met my (not sports affiliated) relations and other lovely locals, both Blues and Reds, even walked to Anfield as I didn't know which buses went there, and I thought it would be a short walk - wrong!

TLDR: I'm the king of the Bandwagoneers, but at the very least I did stick by the team through the doldrums of the Premier League years watching as Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal humiliated us again and again, and then later even little Manchester City - how quickly the tide can turn!

Plus no one can accuse me of glory hunting as a St Kilda supporter!

No offence at all taken, Jigg! I am not a Scouser, though I have a lot of love for the people and place, I do actually have family there, but really didn't even know about them when I made my choice.

I grew up in the seventies in a coastal village in Somerset, down in the south west of England. The nearest football teams of any repute to us were never on TV or radio, never in the paper. Most of the kids I went to school with supported the number one team I guess, which at that time was... you guessed it! I had one mate who supported Forest and another who was one of your stripe, but the rest were Reds.

(No idea if our part of the world were just Glory Hunters (probably) or they had some affiliation with Liverpool that defied eras and results as I moved to Australia a couple of years before they were kindly taken off their perch by a whisky nosed Scot...)

They spent their time in the school bus and break times chatting about Kevin Keegan and Ray Clemence and their teammates. When I visited their houses, their bedroom walls were plastered with Keegan posters and Red paraphernalia. Later, when we played football in the schoolyard, they were all trying to be Rush and Dalglish. I didn't really care much about sport, but I heard more about the Reds than any other team, and constantly. I heard more reds stats, heard about every triumph, you get the picture...

Eventually I started looking out for their results, so I had something to talk to friends about. Later when I got a little into the game, I identified with Liverpool just out of familiarity I guess. Used to want to be Phil Neal when playing in that school yard, though I'd never even seen him play!

It was when I was in Australia that my devotion to football was fostered - absence makes the heart grow fonder! I got nostalgic watching the Monday night Premier League highlights shows, and by then my football family was set.

I eventually moved back to Europe and visited Liverpool, walked around the neighborhood where my great grandmother's shop used to be (now a university campus), met my (not sports affiliated) relations and other lovely locals, both Blues and Reds, even walked to Anfield as I didn't know which buses went there, and I thought it would be a short walk - wrong!

TLDR: I'm the king of the Bandwagoneers, but at the very least I did stick by the team through the doldrums of the Premier League years watching as Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal humiliated us again and again, and then later even little Manchester City - how quickly the tide can turn!

WHAT a lovely account mate! Beautiful, just beautiful!!!! Good on you!

I have relatives in the north and chose Newcastle because of English guys who followed them in the 90s and talked me into it. Before I knew much bout soccer I had adopted Southampton because we had family in Cornwall and Devon and it seemed close...well and the Saints thing.

I'm a born and bred Cheltenham (Bayside 😉😊) Sainter and Liverpool supporter.
In both cases it was due to a player. The first was our newly inducted 'hall of famer' Barks in the mid to late 70s. My old man taught him at Chelt High and from the first time I saw him at Moorabbin I loved him and the Saints. It's been a blessing and a curse but way more blessing when the adding up is done.
The 2nd was Craig Johnston and when he went to Liverpool in 1981 I was in primary school playing 'soccer' with my wog mates (as the token skippie I was the minority in that group! 😊). He was my hero, taking on the best...well the best we saw on a weekly Match of the Day on the ABC anyway (the world of sport has gone a long way). He started what has been a nearly 40 year love for LFC.

As Austinn said earlier there is a lot in common with the Saints and Liverpool. From the outside looking at Liverpool it may seem strange to say with all the titles but dig a bit closer and you see times of tragedy and despair amongst the joy.
Both clubs have given me such joy but also at times heartbreak. I wouldn't have it any other way though.
Great thread Jiggster a fantastic reminder of who and why this annoyingly bloody beautiful club is in our hearts. Thankyou

I'm a born and bred Cheltenham (Bayside ) Sainter and Liverpool supporter.
In both cases it was due to a player. The first was our newly inducted 'hall of famer' Barks in the mid to late 70s. My old man taught him at Chelt High and from the first time I saw him at Moorabbin I loved him and the Saints. It's been a blessing and a curse but way more blessing when the adding up is done.
The 2nd was Craig Johnston and when he went to Liverpool in 1981 I was in primary school playing 'soccer' with my wog mates (as the token skippie I was the minority in that group! ). He was my hero, taking on the best...well the best we saw on a weekly Match of the Day on the ABC anyway (the world of sport has gone a long way). He started what has been a nearly 40 year love for LFC.

As Austinn said earlier there is a lot in common with the Saints and Liverpool. From the outside looking at Liverpool it may seem strange to say with all the titles but dig a bit closer and you see times of tragedy and despair amongst the joy.
Both clubs have given me such joy but also at times heartbreak. I wouldn't have it any other way though.
Great thread Jiggster a fantastic reminder of who and why this annoyingly bloody beautiful club is in our hearts. Thankyou

You’re most welcome colleague! Yes, it’s been a most interesting and educational thread in response to my whimsical wandering in the OP.
Thanks to everyone. God, I LOVE this club!

Wonderful story mate.

Not about win/loss records at St.Kilda. If it was we'd have no supporters. It's about the fantastic players we've had, the characters we've had, and the loyal commitment of the fans. Trevor Barker is a perfect example of what being a St.Kilda person is all about. If people want premiership after premiership they should go and support one of the more successful clubs instead.

Sad to hear about your father. Much like your old man my dad copped plenty of racism in the 70's too, being a part of the large contingent of Greeks and Italians that migrated to Australia in the sixties. People like Winmar thankfully started to change that, especially in football where it was seemingly much more common. Aside from being indoctrinated to the Saints from birth, it was Winmar who made me nag my dad to go and watch games at Waverley.

My late father shaking cans outside Linton St to help the club financially in its darkest years. Standing on beer cans to get a better view in the pouring mud soaked Moorabbin just to see Plugger kick a bag. Supporting this club is heartfelt to a lot of people and some take supporting this football club for granted. It hurts to see them cop unjust criticism from both media and so called supporters, and if it wasn't for supporters like yourself or players like Trevor Barker we wouldn't even have the privilege of still being able to discuss the Saints.

Gee this was a familiar story to myself as dad came to Australia in the late 50's and worked on the waterfront which had one particularly racist man who use to disrespect my dad for being a wog. He thought dad couldn't speak english and use to give him a hard time. Dad being very street smart use to pretend he couldn't speak english and realised this clown hated the saints, so Dad started barracking for them just to piss him off. His timing could not have been better as it was the start of the golden era. He went to the GF's and naturally brainwashed me from my earliest memories with stories baldock and co.

He became a share holder in the club hoping to make a difference and ended up giving his shares back to the club for free in those dark days. We never forgot that scum bag Elliot for enjoying the demise of St kilda. Good to see the Karma that Carlton have enjoyed for the last 20 years.

My best memories of watching the saints as a kid were at Moorabbin in those freezing cold days watching people like Barks give their heart and soul for our club. Watching Barry Breen in his last game was special, especially when he kicked his last goal for the saints and I remember the ground exploding. As a saints fan back in those days you had to just enjoy the small things as success was something elusive.

Sadly dad developed dementia and 09/10 GF were the last chance for him to see the saints win before it would not remember. I remember being with him in 09 and it to this day broke my heart knowing where things were heading and how much he loved the club. He was a battler much like our club and possessed the grit and loyalty that is required to be a long term saints supporter.

He passed away acouple of months ago and had a saints funeral which was fitting for no matter what sport he followed the Saints were his true passion. The club now has a different meaning to me because it was a bond my father and I held. It was the one thing we always enjoyed talking about.

Go Saints.....

Gee this was a familiar story to myself as dad came to Australia in the late 50's and worked on the waterfront which had one particularly racist man who use to disrespect my dad for being a wog. He thought dad couldn't speak english and use to give him a hard time. Dad being very street smart use to pretend he couldn't speak english and realised this clown hated the saints, so Dad started barracking for them just to piss him off. His timing could not have been better as it was the start of the golden era. He went to the GF's and naturally brainwashed me from my earliest memories with stories baldock and co.

He became a share holder in the club hoping to make a difference and ended up giving his shares back to the club for free in those dark days. We never forgot that scum bag Elliot for enjoying the demise of St kilda. Good to see the Karma that Carlton have enjoyed for the last 20 years.

My best memories of watching the saints as a kid were at Moorabbin in those freezing cold days watching people like Barks give their heart and soul for our club. Watching Barry Breen in his last game was special, especially when he kicked his last goal for the saints and I remember the ground exploding. As a saints fan back in those days you had to just enjoy the small things as success was something elusive.

Sadly dad developed dementia and 09/10 GF were the last chance for him to see the saints win before it would not remember. I remember being with him in 09 and it to this day broke my heart knowing where things were heading and how much he loved the club. He was a battler much like our club and possessed the grit and loyalty that is required to be a long term saints supporter.

He passed away acouple of months ago and had a saints funeral which was fitting for no matter what sport he followed the Saints were his true passion. The club now has a different meaning to me because it was a bond my father and I held. It was the one thing we always enjoyed talking about.

Go Saints.....

BeautifulSuch a wonderful story, and so well articulated! Kudos my dear Saints Colleague!!!

The 2nd was Craig Johnston and when he went to Liverpool in 1981 I was in primary school playing 'soccer' with my wog mates (as the token skippie I was the minority in that group! 😊). He was my hero, taking on the best...well the best we saw on a weekly Match of the Day on the ABC anyway (the world of sport has gone a long way). He started what has been a nearly 40 year love for LFC.

Man! Another one! You Liverpool fans are popping up everywhere! Much like weeds! May need to get the roundup going! ;)
It's like a nightmare or some disturbing flashback of being stuck in the heart
Of a Scouse pub in the middle of Liverpool. being a diehard United man! :smirk:

I have something in common with Craig Johnston, he was playing with Lake Macquarie soccer club, and i was playing Rugby League with Lake Macquarie Rugby League club :D other than that i wouldn't of known him if i fell over him.

We moved to Newcastle when i was 11 and Aussie rules was an unknown entity all i had was my saints jumpers. I tried soccer nah not enough biff or enough talent, so i played league and Union, i was a better Rules player, but still made a bit of mark in the Rugby codes, i was also an elite runner until i popped me hammys, and that was all she wrote for any sport, except boxing.

I have been following the Saints for as long as i can remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back