Discussion Coping with “Sainthood”

Remove this Banner Ad

Man! Another one! You Liverpool fans are popping up everywhere! Much like weeds! May need to get the roundup going! ;)
It's like a nightmare or some disturbing flashback of being stuck in the heart
Of a Scouse pub in the middle of Liverpool. being a diehard United man! :smirk:

Significantly displeasing.

Gee this was a familiar story to myself as dad came to Australia in the late 50's and worked on the waterfront which had one particularly racist man who use to disrespect my dad for being a wog. He thought dad couldn't speak english and use to give him a hard time. Dad being very street smart use to pretend he couldn't speak english and realised this clown hated the saints, so Dad started barracking for them just to piss him off. His timing could not have been better as it was the start of the golden era. He went to the GF's and naturally brainwashed me from my earliest memories with stories baldock and co.

He became a share holder in the club hoping to make a difference and ended up giving his shares back to the club for free in those dark days. We never forgot that scum bag Elliot for enjoying the demise of St kilda. Good to see the Karma that Carlton have enjoyed for the last 20 years.

My best memories of watching the saints as a kid were at Moorabbin in those freezing cold days watching people like Barks give their heart and soul for our club. Watching Barry Breen in his last game was special, especially when he kicked his last goal for the saints and I remember the ground exploding. As a saints fan back in those days you had to just enjoy the small things as success was something elusive.

Sadly dad developed dementia and 09/10 GF were the last chance for him to see the saints win before it would not remember. I remember being with him in 09 and it to this day broke my heart knowing where things were heading and how much he loved the club. He was a battler much like our club and possessed the grit and loyalty that is required to be a long term saints supporter.

He passed away acouple of months ago and had a saints funeral which was fitting for no matter what sport he followed the Saints were his true passion. The club now has a different meaning to me because it was a bond my father and I held. It was the one thing we always enjoyed talking about.

Go Saints.....

Fantastic post, mate.

Man! Another one! You Liverpool fans are popping up everywhere! Much like weeds! May need to get the roundup going! ;)

I'm sure the scousers were friendly. I loved Liverpool. Going to game at Anfield a couple of years ago was a highlight of my life. I did stop a Manchester on that trip. Fortunately I was on a train so was less than a minute 😉🤣 fortunately we have the Saints in common mate.. or colleague as the legend Jiggster calls us 😁

might be time for us to start a gofundme to get a repeat of that trip, so you can cleanse the curse again
i was back in india a few months ago but the south so not near the waters of the Ganga ... but hey if you guys wanna send me back who am i to stand in the way of removing the curse ....

i was back in india a few months ago but the south so not near the waters of the Ganga ... but hey if you guys wanna send me back who am i to stand in the way of removing the curse ....

Just come to Melbourne - it’s a lot cheaper, the Yarra’s probably the same colour and there’s no jet lag involved!

So before season 2019 began, I dispensed with all the “expectations” all the “hoop la” and rhetoric, all the unrealistic hopes, and instead replaced them with simply fronting up at every game to watch MY team play footy..... and let the results take care of themselves.

I have never been onboard with the whole "nothing but a premiership will do". I have followed the Saints since 1968 and have seen the worst and the best - much more worst than best. And yet they have given me so much enjoyment - the great unexpected wins, the generational players, the characters and just St Kilda's unique ability to shoot itself in the foot.

In fact probably the most unenjoyable years for me were 2009/10 when the expectation and pressure of winning made watching the games unbearable. As Saints fans we have made an art out of celebrating small victories and we often get sh#t from other supporters. But we are not lemmings who simply pick the most popular team of the day and start barracking for them. We are truly lovers of the underdog and his small triumphs.

I'd love to see a premiership but if I don't, I will never regret following the Saints because you have to be a tough mofu with a good sense of humor to stay fat with this club.

Last edited:
I have never been onboard with the whole "nothing but a premiership will do". I have followed the Saints since 1968 and have seen the worst and the best - much more worst than best. And yet they have given me so much enjoyment - the great unexpected wins, the generational players, the characters and just St Kilda's unique ability to shoot itself in the foot.

In fact probably the most unenjoyable years for me were 2009/10 when the expectation and pressure of winning made watching the games unbearable. As Saints fans we have made an art out of celebrating small victories and we often get sh#t from other supporters. But we are not lemmings who simply pick the most popular team of the day and start barracking for them. We are truly lovers of the underdog and his small triumphs.

I'd love to see a premiership but if I don't, I will never regret following the Saints because you have to be a tough mofu with a good sense of humor to stay fat with this club.

Excellent post, Ricmel, and remember every dog has its day. I'm planning on living to 150 so I get to see Saints win a flag :D. If it hasn't happened by then, I'm not waiting any longer.

Summed up nicely.

I used to get wound up about it, but once I learned not to stress about things I can't control, it's pretty easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back