Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
Hey guys,
Bit in the dumps at the moment due to the recurrence of a shoulder injury.
Long story short, i dislocated my shoulder a couple weeks ago. The same shoulder that i had previous dislocations and subsequent reconstruction on.
Had it reconstructed on in 2004, and hadn't had any issues with it until my first game of this season.
Went up for a mark, an opponent came from behind and crunched me and out came the shoulder.
Saw my surgeon earlier this week and he seems to think i'll most likely avoid surgery, however, now i have to wait another three weeks for the MRI to confirm!
So now my season is pretty much over before it began.
I'm now weighing up my future playing footy.
Last season I played my first full season after a serious knee injury in 2010, and managed to take home a BnF and was looking forward to backing it up again this year.
Now I'm focusing on whether or not to continue with it all.
I'm only 26, so still got some years left in me, but the last 4-5 years have been hell and I'm sick of the injuries.
Football is a major part of my life, i live and breathe it. The thought of not playing makes me quite upset and I don't want to end my career just yet.
But the injuries have taken their toll.

for us local/amateur types it all comes down to do injuries affect your income? i mean we don't get paid for football but our jobs pay the bills and feed our families...that being said, dislocated shoulders will reoccur once you've had one but they shouldn't end a career at 26...if you can overcome a serious knee then you can overcome this

for us local/amateur types it all comes down to do injuries affect your income? i mean we don't get paid for football but our jobs pay the bills and feed our families...that being said, dislocated shoulders will reoccur once you've had one but they shouldn't end a career at 26...if you can overcome a serious knee then you can overcome this

I work an office job that doesn't require me to use my body so i don't lose any income thankfully.

no surgery is great news!
i'm a touch older but just about to finish my shoulder rehab - about 10 weeks out all up but regular strengthening with physio exercises have made me pretty confident in it now.
Like any longer term injury, you can get into a pretty dark place. but stick to the positives and do what you can to stay involved :)

no surgery is great news!
i'm a touch older but just about to finish my shoulder rehab - about 10 weeks out all up but regular strengthening with physio exercises have made me pretty confident in it now.
Like any longer term injury, you can get into a pretty dark place. but stick to the positives and do what you can to stay involved :)

I've written off this season unfortunately.
But staying involved with my club.
Been umpiring our thirds games the last few weeks.
Umpiring games really opens your eyes to how difficult it is

Sucks that you've had to write off the season - but good on you for umpiring and keeping up around the club.
I totally screwed up my wrist during a Personal Training session 15 months ago - torn TFCC/ECU Subsheath and a Scaphoid Lunate ligament injury as well (resulting in a ganglion cyst).. I haven't been able to to any weights work in all that time, and it's very depressing watching all that hard work whither away (I've been going to the gym for the last 10 years or so and built up some reasonable strength (nothing hardcore), started Personal Training sessions and destroyed my wrist after a couple of weeks and now I'm back to square one with no prospect of returning anytime soon) - definately leaves you feeling a bit depressed.

Started running and just got my 10km time down to 49mins (I've never been a great runner) and have now done something in my groin/pelvis and have been out of that for the last 6 weeks too.. Hopefully things pick up, getting the ganglion excised hopefully soon, will see if that brings any relief the wrist situation.

I'm an office worker so it hasn't been too much of a problem (although MRI's, ultra sounds and ortho specialiests aren't cheap) - if I was a tradie or something similar I would have been out of work all this time, so I can see how injuries can really leave people in a terrible situation. Also interesting to see the health insurance I have been paying for for the last 6 years doesn't cover any of this.

Injured wrist + Injured groin - I've heard all the jokes, it really is just a coincidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back