Secondary Coping with numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Down here in Tas (and also the NT, I think,) high school ends in Year 10 and then you move onto 'College' which is Year 11 & 12.

My problem is that I come from a small country town. I'm going to Launceston College which, to put it simply, is huge (in comparison). LC has twice the population of my entire town.

I'm stressing out due to this and the fact that there'll be so many unknown people. Has anyone else faced similar problems and if so, how did you deal with it?

Any help is appreciated.

Down here in Tas (and also the NT, I think,) high school ends in Year 10 and then you move onto 'College' which is Year 11 & 12.

My problem is that I come from a small country town. I'm going to Launceston College which, to put it simply, is huge (in comparison). LC has twice the population of my entire town.

I'm stressing out due to this and the fact that there'll be so many unknown people. Has anyone else faced similar problems and if so, how did you deal with it?

Any help is appreciated.

No advice or help, but the irony of a Roos supporter starting a thread about being intimidated by numbers kept me entertained.

No advice or help, but the irony of a Roos supporter starting a thread about being intimidated by numbers kept me entertained.

And the irony of a Collingwood supporter being a tool is non existent.

Just relax, take it all in and enjoy it. That's what I should've done going from primary school to high school.

Lighten up, go outside and don't live on Bigfooty. :)

I was only having a laugh.

But seriously though: can anyone help?

I'd been at my last school for 12 years so this is a scarily big change.

I went to a Primary school with 80 odd kids before my parents moved and I was forced to go to a high school with two-thousand kids, zero I knew. That fact is if you think about too much, it'll get ya. Take it easy the first few days, and just take it all in. After a little while, it grows on you.

I guess the situation is quite different, but don't stress on it mate, you'll be fine.

I was only having a laugh.

But seriously though: can anyone help?

I'd been at my last school for 12 years so this is a scarily big change.
Because no one else seems to be giving genuine advice I guess it's up to me. :)

I think ultimately you'll be fine, people tend to gravitate to like people. Don't try too hard around people, just be yourself and don't be afraid to talk to people, you're obviously interested enough in footy to be on a footy forum so that's an easy enough topic to get you started with most guys (footy, not Bigfooty :p). I know it can be difficult to come out of your shell but set yourself a challenge each day, little increments, and eventually you'll be doing fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah you got it right doing Year 11 now in the NT *which is now college*

Any help is appreciated.

The ACT also has the "secondary college" system, as do regional areas of most states.

Anyway, I was living at St Helens when I went (many, many years ago) to Alanvale College - since replaced by Newstead College. I had gone to primary school in Launceston though, so it was somewhat different in that regard.

The big things is that even those who went to the larger high schools; Kings Meadows, Riverside, etc; have to make many of the adjustments as well. It seems you haven't changed schools since kindergarten so that and the size mean you have bigger adjustments. You'll manage is surprisingly quickly, just like everyone who has ever done the same thing has done.
(Slightly off topic: For those in cities wondering how that is possible to go to the same public school from Kindergarten to Year 10, Tas high schools in rural areas are mostly "District High Schools" which have both high school and primary on the same campus, often with other towns around having only a primary school.
For example, St Marys District High has a primary school section covering kindy to year 6, and the high school section; years 7-10; also takes kids who went to primary school in Fingal, Bicheno, and others, along with those who went to St Marys. Some of the St Marys kids will have been at one school from kindy to grade 10.)

Its a different style of learning, or at least used to be, and you have more responsibility for your own learning. In that regard it can be a better grounding for uni than the mainland and private school "high school to year 12", if uni is your aim.

Do you have friends going to LC as well? I know from some small schools sometimes few go on to college, and sometimes not anyone else from a particular circle. You might be surprised at how well you get along with others from high school that previously you spent no time with. They quite possibly don't know anyone else either.

Its an adjustment, and if (like me) you are a naturally private person it seems hard - but you will probably find it seems harder than it actually is. There isn't a real lot you can do to "prepare", except be aware that others will be in the same situation and try and chat bit in the first few classes to get to know a couple of people.
It wasn't an option back in my time, but maybe you might find some people in a similar situation through social networking sites and arrange to actually meet them when school starts next year. Anyway, start worring about it in January.

(I'm now trying to think of what town in the north-east half the size of LC would have a high school. Exeter? Winnaleah? Cressy? Campbell Town and St Marys would be a bit bigger than that. Whether you will be living at home or boarding in Launceston may make a big difference in what changes you need to make.)

The ACT also has the "secondary college" system, as do regional areas of most states.

Anyway, I was living at St Helens when I went (many, many years ago) to Alanvale College - since replaced by Newstead College. I had gone to primary school in Launceston though, so it was somewhat different in that regard.

The big things is that even those who went to the larger high schools; Kings Meadows, Riverside, etc; have to make many of the adjustments as well. It seems you haven't changed schools since kindergarten so that and the size mean you have bigger adjustments. You'll manage is surprisingly quickly, just like everyone who has ever done the same thing has done.
(Slightly off topic: For those in cities wondering how that is possible to go to the same public school from Kindergarten to Year 10, Tas high schools in rural areas are mostly "District High Schools" which have both high school and primary on the same campus, often with other towns around having only a primary school.
For example, St Marys District High has a primary school section covering kindy to year 6, and the high school section; years 7-10; also takes kids who went to primary school in Fingal, Bicheno, and others, along with those who went to St Marys. Some of the St Marys kids will have been at one school from kindy to grade 10.)

Its a different style of learning, or at least used to be, and you have more responsibility for your own learning. In that regard it can be a better grounding for uni than the mainland and private school "high school to year 12", if uni is your aim.

Do you have friends going to LC as well? I know from some small schools sometimes few go on to college, and sometimes not anyone else from a particular circle. You might be surprised at how well you get along with others from high school that previously you spent no time with. They quite possibly don't know anyone else either.

Its an adjustment, and if (like me) you are a naturally private person it seems hard - but you will probably find it seems harder than it actually is. There isn't a real lot you can do to "prepare", except be aware that others will be in the same situation and try and chat bit in the first few classes to get to know a couple of people.
It wasn't an option back in my time, but maybe you might find some people in a similar situation through social networking sites and arrange to actually meet them when school starts next year. Anyway, start worring about it in January.

(I'm now trying to think of what town in the north-east half the size of LC would have a high school. Exeter? Winnaleah? Cressy? Campbell Town and St Marys would be a bit bigger than that. Whether you will be living at home or boarding in Launceston may make a big difference in what changes you need to make.)

Thanks for all the advice. I just finished my first term at LC and, though tough at first, I actually made a couple of friends.
I think all of my school friends had the same mindset as me and we all sorta congregate together whenever we can. ;)
Also, your guess was correct. Cressy District High School. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back