choppy

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2001
Not the Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
This was actually a suggestion by Sooty on the AFL page. I think it may have some merit.

1 - He wouldn't have to mark the ball, he could just punch it clear.

2 - He does have some agility and could provide some run of half back.

3 - He has played forward so should know where to position himself and where the ball is going.

4 - I recall he played a couple of games there last year and did reasonably well.

5 - He could take the ruck contests down back (he wouldn't have to get his timing right in the cente square)leaving Burton in the centre who with his height should win every damn tap out and Petrie as the floater around the ground.

6 - He can kick it a mile so he could clear of half back and kick it long to centre half forward where someone like Rocca or Carey could mark it.

7 - Mick looks as though he is on his last year and will probably miss some through injury thereby allowing Macca to play at fullback.

I would be interested as to what CIK thinks of this proposal says Choppy putting the flak helmet on and diving into the trench.

Not wanting to disappoint, I will break out the weaponry and let you have it.
Half back line ?
True, he would not have to mark the ball, but his judgement is so poor, I suspect he would end up pushing his opponent in the back in his usual clumsy habit of running under the ball.
Could he provide some run off the half back line? Yes, but it would only be of use to us if he actually got the ball, which is highly unlikely.
Long kicks to forwards ? See above.

I admire your tenacity in an attempt to find a spot for him Choppy, but it's time to face facts. The guy is uncoordinated, lethargic, and lacks the basic skills to be a useful ruckman, so what future is there for him ?

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Hhmmmm, not a bad move at all. Choppy.
The slap-stick comedy comments by C-I-K are outstanding and....incredibly true to a degree but I have lottsa faith in this bloke
who I believe will turn it around this season
for C-I-K's amusement.

I hope C-I-K has got around to watch the '99
GF as the big fella (#31) did enough to show he can play. Eg. taking a great grab against
Kouta in the forward pocket and slicing it thru the big sticks, how about the BOMB (torp goal) from outside 50 !!! wow, that must of floored C-I-K in a major way.

Corey McK must come out to play if we are any
chance. Pagan should seriously consider Choppy in the centre early in the game as we
need the running going (create the loose man)to rattle the Dons.
The centre clearences are the key, the idea is to have the Bombers guessing. Using Motlop and Grant to drill the ball for goals instead of looking for Sav all the time.
Pagan's Paddock will most likely be fenced with a sweeper so North will need to fustrate
the Dons by using the spare man as the running short and loose man to set up plays
around the 50. No bombing it long against the this team. Less than %20 effective.
Carey should NOT be rushed back.

Run Riot Roos 2001

I'd like to see McCartney stay at Centre Half Back, he did an excellent job there last year, and I think his a better judge when his running with the flight, than to the ball. As for McKernan I think his best position is as our No 1 Ruckman. I think this could be McKernan's year. Like Carey I think he was given a roving commission by Denis, which may have left him a little lost, but now with Rocca joining the club, and taking up a lot of the forward responsibilties, Corey's role should be a little more defined and settled. Hopefully this will allow him to focus on the job at hand, and play a little closer to the potential he obviously has.

Anyway enough of the drivel, back to the fullback possie. Can you see anyone in the side who can fill Micky's shoes once he retires. He has made fullback his position for so long, we have nobody that comes to mind who can play that position. The obvious choices are McCartney or Archer, but what about Lange or Spaull??

------------------
Are We Not Men
We Are DEVO

Archer, Lange and Spaull appear to be too small. It seems that Shannon Watt might be getting groomed for this position - he has a bit more height than the other 3.

As for Corey McK - I can't really see him at CHB. He should be in the ruck moving forward with some consideration of giving him a run at CHF while Carey is out.

IM I think you've got the answer.
Can't take Macca away from CHB, at least he will take the marks when required & he almost single-handedly held together the backline last season.
Either Watt or Hilton are the most likely candidates for FB.
Corey can turn the game, and has done so on many occassions playing up forward....just needs to find consistency.

Yes Kaz - I think Watt or Hilton are the potential successors to Micky. Corey - on the forward line is hard to match up on and will make things easier for Sav while Carey is out.

Lange and Spaull appear more suited to the forward line although the former is out of sorts and the latter has been injured.

Jason McCartney at centre half back for me and leave McKernan in the ruck and let him drift forward. My main concern about McKernan at centre half back is that in recent years, his marking hasn't been all that great and there will be plenty of opposition crumbers looking for the spilled ball. At least when McKernan spills a mark in our forward line, our crumbers have the chance of scoring from them. In the meantime, McCartney almost always makes the right decision out of whether to mark or punch the ball, he wins most of his one-on-one marking contests, and he has a remarkable ability to block space....note the number of times that opposition teams try and bypass the section of field where McCartney and his opponent are standing. It took McCartney about 11 weeks in 1998 to get settled in the position, and he's made it his own and he'd have to be one of the first players pencilled into the side every week. If McKernan is going to perform, it'll have to be in ruck or as a forward, but not in a position where we already have a very good player doing the job already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back