News Corey Gault (Latest - he ain't being delisted ...)

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Once again? Hes had just once chance at senior football so far and played just two games at the start of the season, one fair one poor.......and one game at the end of the previous season in a meaningless dead rubber. Given that limited exposure he's hardly on his last chance. Season 2016 may well be his last chance overall (it will be promotion from rookie list or another club probably) but it doenst mean career over if he doesnt set the world on fire after one or two games in March/April.

I meant over the season. Not just the first few games

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Does Gault deserve a shot? Yes. He has done well all through the preseason and has probably ticked the boxes the club had asked of him.

Am i confident he is up to AFL level and has a future at the club being 2016? No. His AFL form thus far has been poor - and this is his what, 3rd or 4th, year in the system. At this stage - he needs to back up the preseason form in real games. (and good luck to him).

Is he ahead of Cloke in the pecking order? * No.
Sorry to be frank - but anyone who says that is being blind and ignorant. Its like saying Pendles should start on the bench coz hes clearly not our best midfielder anymore.

Will Gault play Round 1? Depends on the ruck situation.
No White (presumably- based on form) suggests that we need someone else to be 2nd ruck. Do we play Grundy (or Witts) solo, and hope that either Moore and/or Gault can offer 10-20% gametime in the ruck... Or do we go double ruck.
If we go solo-ruck then we play Cloke with both Moore & Gault.
If we go double-ruck, then we only play 2 tall F's and Gault is the one to miss out.

Gault will kick more goals than Cloke v Sydney.
Actually if Cloke plays further up the ground, Gault just might kick more goals.

Personally really don't care who gets them as long as at the end of the game we have scored more.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I meant over the season. Not just the first few games

I took the word "again" literally. He hasnt failed once yet as far as I'm concerned. Three career games split over two seasons is not enough of a sample set to say he failed once.

He just hasnt had the opportunity for many reasons, youth combined with injury mostly.

He'll do well enough to get promoted to the senior list next year, replacing White. Straight swap...no brainer. Too many people are looking at 2015 where he vanished early and never reapeared and expecting if not hoping for a repeat.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does Gault deserve a shot? Yes. He has done well all through the preseason and has probably ticked the boxes the club had asked of him.

Am i confident he is up to AFL level and has a future at the club being 2016? No. His AFL form thus far has been poor - and this is his what, 3rd or 4th, year in the system. At this stage - he needs to back up the preseason form in real games. (and good luck to him).

Is he ahead of Cloke in the pecking order? **** No.
Sorry to be frank - but anyone who says that is being blind and ignorant. Its like saying Pendles should start on the bench coz hes clearly not our best midfielder anymore.

Will Gault play Round 1? Depends on the ruck situation.
No White (presumably- based on form) suggests that we need someone else to be 2nd ruck. Do we play Grundy (or Witts) solo, and hope that either Moore and/or Gault can offer 10-20% gametime in the ruck... Or do we go double ruck.
If we go solo-ruck then we play Cloke with both Moore & Gault.
If we go double-ruck, then we only play 2 tall F's and Gault is the one to miss out.

I'd go in with Witts, with Gault and Moore sharing second ruck duties. Cloke will play. Grundy will get angry.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I'd go in with Witts, with Gault and Moore sharing second ruck duties. Cloke will play. Grundy will get angry.

I am 50-50 on Grundy/Witts and not as convinced based on preseason form as others.
But I cant flaw your reasoning. And if chosing one (Witts) lights a fire under the other (Grundy), then ultimately that should lead to a good outcome for both.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
As I said don't care who kicks them as long as the final score is in our favour.
I think I've been making a point over the off season that the Cloke set shot kicking brings down the whole team. I'd like to see him dropped if it continues. Can't have good play coming undone by a guy on 800k. It dejects the whole side when he is missing shots and costs the WHOLE club.

I think I've been making a point over the off season that the Cloke set shot kicking brings down the whole team. I'd like to see him dropped if it continues. Can't have good play coming undone by a guy on 800k. It dejects the whole side when he is missing shots and costs the WHOLE club.
Maybe we could try Cloke down back? Certainly not going to get out-bodies or rag-dolled by any FF I'm aware of. Not the first time someone's suggested this.

Maybe we could try Cloke down back? Certainly not going to get out-bodies or rag-dolled by any FF I'm aware of. Not the first time someone's suggested this.

Cloke is not needed in defence. We need him taking contested marks in attacking positions.

To be fair he hasn't proven anything in a legitimate senior game yet, he was very good last pre season as well, then when the real stuff started he didn't do much at all.

2 goals against Hawthorn was handy in his first senior game?

The Dawes

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2008
Punxutawney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Notts County FC,
anyway.....

Good luck to Corey Gault, hope he takes his opportunity.

If he can stand up and provide a tall target along with Darcy Moore, then we'll reduce our reliance on T Cloke which, if nothing else, should also reduce the number of BF posts lamenting his goal kicking, for which I will be grateful.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I took the word "again" literally. He hasnt failed once yet as far as I'm concerned. Three career games split over two seasons is not enough of a sample set to say he failed once.

He just hasnt had the opportunity for many reasons, youth combined with injury mostly.

He'll do well enough to get promoted to the senior list next year, replacing White. Straight swap...no brainer. Too many people are looking at 2015 where he vanished early and never reapeared and expecting if not hoping for a repeat.

God no, I don't wish failure upon him. I think he has all the physical attributes to be a fantastic asset in our forward line. I just hope he can put it all together and get some consistent game time to give him the best possible chance.

I actually found him quite exciting to watch during NAB. Something about him. Needs to pin those ears back though.

Back