News Corey Gault (Latest - he ain't being delisted ...)

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
All my hopes for Gault are long gone. Just showed no physicality after a bit of early promise. Perhaps another player we were unable to develop when we had 7 rucks listed. What were they thinking?

But what are the alternatives to them calling back Gault. He's less than insurance as a mobile ruck in my mind. He's clearly not going to get a game forward ahead of anyone on our list unless they're all injured.

So why would they keep him on?

We've got lots of small and medium versatile types now with Mayne and Dunn coming in adding to Reid, Howe and Goldsack. Cox and Keefe aren't competitive rucks yet but neither was Gault.

What are the alternatives? Minson? Any other mature rucks in the state leagues worth considering? Surely one of them could be better than Gault!

The alternative is to hit the draft and see what comes of it. Can't be any worse then having Thobias Gault Kinnear on our list for so long.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't mind Gault doing this. I'd imagine he's been told that he almost certainly will be delisted and that he should look for options for next year. If we did decide to retain him, I'm sure the deal he had with Swan Districts has a very of clause if he were to be offered a spot on an AFL list.

Unless he's actually had enough of the demands of being in an AFL list while being unable to break into the AFL team and is quitting before he's delisted?

Wonder if he'll put himself up as a DLA or in the drafts?

Gault's had 3 years on the rookie list, so he needs to be delisted or promoted this year. Neither has officially occurred, maybe the plan is to delist him after the last DFA period closes (27 Nov) and re-rookie list him the next day?

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
It's sad that after all this time he's still kind of required by us. He should be delisted. It shows how bad our list is if he's still on it in 2017.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Showed glimpses but has just not come on, in fact seems to have gone backwards at VFL level, but did have issues with injury and concussion early.
Started showing a bit of form finally, towards the end of the year.
Seems AFL level is just too big a step up for him and I dare say he looks like a kid that could end up dominating the VFL when he is in his late twenties and everyone wonders why he never made it.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Showed glimpses but has just not come on, in fact seems to have gone backwards at VFL level, but did have issues with injury and concussion early.
Seems AFL level is just to big a step up for him and I dare say he looks like a kid that could end up dominating the VFL when he is in his late twenties and everyone wonders why he never made it.

Yep, this. I was impressed in his first year when he was playing as a 3rd tall forward but he's just never progressed beyond that. Can understand them persevering with him through his injury issues but he really needed to grab his chance this year.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Seems AFL level is just too big a step up for him and I dare say he looks like a kid that could end up dominating the VFL when he is in his late twenties and everyone wonders why he never made it.

This - and probably why he looked the goods in preseason games, but always looked lost in his AFL games.

I will always compare Gault's few games to Darcy's very 1st game. Both would not be expected to really show too much statistically (given it was Darcy's first game and he was 3-4 years younger than Gault, I think) - but you just saw that Darcy from the get go could handle AFL "pace"- just the ability to react in time to what is happening around you... even if you aren't doing much, just being able to react appropriately when the ball's near you allow's you to turn everything into a 50-50 contest. It's what impressed me most about Mason Cox's gametime this year.

Because if you can't keep up with the "pace" of the AFL game (and I mean more mental/reaction time) then you are a liability. Being just that split second behind, means that you will consistently come off 2nd best at every contest - and if you can't improve that after 3-4 years in the system - then you just don't have a future at this level. His game against an almost-40 year old Dustin Fletcher last year was the key moment for me. Fletch played loose off him all game, really hurting us on the rebound, and Gault just wasn't able to do any damage the other way.
---

Having said all that - making it to an AFL list is no mean feat, and still puts him in the top 800-odd AFL players right now, and I think he could potentially be a very good WAFL/VFL player, and I wish him all the best at the Swans (or if he gets picked up by another AFL team).

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well I'll put it out there. Wouldn't mind it if the club rolled the dice and gave him one last chance with our last rookie pick. As long as it doesn't undermine medium term objectives.

It probably depends upon 1 if we are going to use a rookie spot on marsh and 2 if we still need to draft a minson type. If the answer to either of those questions is yes then there's no room for Corey. But if the answer is no then maybe it's worth thinking outside the box by actually giving him one last last chance.

I know I will be shot down in flames! I won't reply to any criticism...I'm always right...

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol
I knew a trick was coming, and you picked well.
Good player. Premiership player took Alan Richardsons spot after his failed fitness test with Lethal.

In previous years he and shaw were played in tandem as rovers. Tough hard but no skill. Kerro was more suited to the back pocket

The reason we won the flag in my opinion was because in 1990 we recruited to fill that skill gap ....Russell and Francis.

From memory kerrison got the first kick of the grand final. Francis got the first kick of the year....on his opponent!!!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

He struggled at vfl level.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well I'll put it out there. Wouldn't mind it if the club rolled the dice and gave him one last chance with our last rookie pick. As long as it doesn't undermine medium term objectives.

It probably depends upon 1 if we are going to use a rookie spot on marsh and 2 if we still need to draft a minson type. If the answer to either of those questions is yes then there's no room for Corey. But if the answer is no then maybe it's worth thinking outside the box by actually giving him one last last chance.

I know I will be shot down in flames! I won't reply to any criticism...I'm always right...

I understand the logic but I'd rather take a punt on a Lowden from the Crows or a Hannath from Freo who are both DFAs.

Back