Analysis Corey Gregson

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to have to go and watch the last quarter to see the errors.

I'll get shot for this but I really liked his round one game.
He was one who set a bar for intent in chasing the opponent. Flat stick running with pure intent to get the opponent. Not just look like he was trying to get him.

I'm sick and tired of standing off the man and guarding space. Gregson was not doing it.
I'm not sure where the comment about his pace is coming from..

You go watch the first few mins of that Melbourne game, that Fritsch get the ball just on 50 and is running towards goal to have a shot ... Gregson hits him just as he takes the kick, comes from a long way back and is absolutely flying after him.

It’s intwresting that people do straight to worst case scenarios. Just needs some time to build, but on current form, with others pushing why shouldn’t that be at reserve level? They’re doing it for Scott Selwood.
I agree.. I'm all for people building touch and form in the 2s, regardless of who they are

I think as Geelong supporters we are too quick to write off players if they do not hit the ground running. Gregson hasn't played in two years and all of a sudden hes a hack after only two games where he made a few mistakes. The turnovers don't bother me so much, it was the two contests against Smith that were really bad. Needs to be a lot more competitive than that.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

he aint quick enough or a good rover of packs to be a good forward pocket. i think its midfield or bust with gregson.
I'm not sure where the comment about his pace is coming from..

You go watch the first few mins of that Melbourne game, that Fritsch get the ball just on 50 and is running towards goal to have a shot ... Gregson hits him just as he takes the kick, comes from a long way back and is absolutely flying after him.
It frequently baffles me how wrong people are in their judgements of player pace...

1C52AE62-EB8D-4012-BEBA-A38273141397.jpeg

It frequently baffles me how wrong people are in their judgements of player pace...

View attachment 478846
blicavs is in that list. In football its speed from a standing start that matters. Going from 0 to 10 metres. maximum speeds recorded would be on the rare occassion a player has sprinted for 20 plus metre enabling them to reach top speed. its irrelevant for football. Blicavs hasnt run a player down in his career in open play cos he is a slow footballer. no acceleration. gregson is the same.

I think as Geelong supporters we are too quick to write off players if they do not hit the ground running. Gregson hasn't played in two years and all of a sudden hes a hack after only two games where he made a few mistakes. The turnovers don't bother me so much, it was the two contests against Smith that were really bad. Needs to be a lot more competitive than that.

He's certainly no hack. He is missing touch though and explainable given the absence out of the game. If he is selected this week, and I think he will be persisted with, he will be chomping at the bit to make up for those late mistakes. Personally I would put him back in the reserves with the view to play him on the ball for bursts to help get the feel back. But I also would have made sure one of my taller, bigger bodied defenders was playing on Roughead so what do I know?.

Blicavs hasnt run a player down in his career in open play cos he is a slow footballer. no acceleration. gregson is the same.
This is why you’re a horrible judge of pace. You start with the wrong metric.

BTW, Gregson features in the top 5 for average moving speed as well. In both rounds this season.

blicavs is in that list. In football its speed from a standing start that matters. Going from 0 to 10 metres. maximum speeds recorded would be on the rare occassion a player has sprinted for 20 plus metre enabling them to reach top speed. its irrelevant for football. Blicavs hasnt run a player down in his career in open play cos he is a slow footballer. no acceleration. gregson is the same.
From what I understand that metric is from the first two metres.
Or something like that.

And if you really want to pick on Blicavs I can't see your reasoning on any basis.
He runs a lot correct?
So to be that high shows he doesn't just have endurance.

BTW, Gregson features in the top 5 for average moving speed as well. In both rounds this season.

Done nothing with it all the same so what's the big deal.
Endurance?

actually i was wrong. its actually after sprinting closer to fifty metres that top speeds are reached. This rarely happens on a football field. It really just is a sample of the footballers who happened to have a long sprint in a game and this is usually chasing a player who is having a long run or getting to the next opponent in the chain and doesnt really influence the game that much.

average moving speed suffers from the same problems. players spend an awful amount of time simply jogging and some jog more than others. What average moving speed tells us about is aerobic capacity and effort. Not questioning gregson there, he is fantastic. A reason why I think he should be a mid. Show me some footage where gregson has looked quick breaking away from a pack or roving a pack. You see dangerfield, cocky, eddie betts and even occassionally murdoch show genuine accelration on a football field. Ive never seen Gregson look quick in these situations. Gregson aint slow. He just aint electric quick which is what is needed for a small forward pocket of his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

actually i was wrong. its actually after sprinting closer to fifty metres that top speeds are reached. This rarely happens on a football field. It really just is a sample of the footballers who happened to have a long sprint in a game and this is usually chasing a player who is having a long run or getting to the next opponent in the chain and doesnt really influence the game that much.

average moving speed suffers from the same problems. players spend an awful amount of time simply jogging and some jog more than others. What average moving speed tells us about is aerobic capacity and effort. Not questioning gregson there, he is fantastic. A reason why I think he should be a mid. Show me some footage where gregson has looked quick breaking away from a pack or roving a pack. You see dangerfield, cocky, eddie betts and even occassionally murdoch show genuine accelration on a football field. Ive never seen Gregson look quick in these situations. Gregson aint slow. He just aint electric quick which is what is needed for a small forward pocket of his size.
tl;dr

“Dem stats don’t support me position” - Seeds

Do we have an official Champion Data definition of what the max speed metric actually measures? Is it literally measuring what it says it's measuring (overall max speed no matter how long it takes to reach that speed) or does it mean max speed over a certain distance from a standing start?

Both contests happened right in front of me. Each time, the same thing happened, Gregson ran for the ball, literally a race with Smith, but was on the wrong side. Both were running towards the boundary line (Gregson on the Hawks side, Smith on the Geelong side), both times. A pass or tap from Gregson would have have either had to go towards the Hawks side or past Smith towards the Geelong side.

Gregson got to the ball first, but had no option after that. He just went for the ball and lost his feet.

Smith didn't go flat out, he just kept pace on the defensive side and waited to see what Gregson would do.

This situation revealed that being second to the ball (when you are split seconds apart) isn't a bad thing. You can bump, tackle, wait for the fumble etc. Especially since there wasn't much support coming to feed it out to.

Smith being second to the ball was in the ideal defensive position to cover Gregson, forcing him to tap it towards the Hawks offence, which was ideal for Smith.

I agree. Lateral agility as well is important. Nowadays, I feel that Gregson would beat Cyril in a straight-line sprint, but Cyril would be far quicker around the forward-line.

I agree. Lateral agility as well is important. Nowadays, I feel that Gregson would beat Cyril in a straight-line sprint, but Cyril would be far quicker around the forward-line.

Max speed on its own is misleading when used without the context of other variables in discussing pace in actual match situations; in an ideal world there would be a metric that factored in all of acceleration over 10m, max speed, and lateral agility, a sort of "Burst Power" indicator.

Would it be too harsh if I said he was overrated? Honestly just don't think he's that good all our other smalls offer far more than he does.
I thought he was really starting to play well and show signs of taking The Next Step when he got injured. That was r14 in 2016, I should add.

Also: the footy has barely been up in our fifty.

Do we have an official Champion Data definition of what the max speed metric actually measures? Is it literally measuring what it says it's measuring (overall max speed no matter how long it takes to reach that speed) or does it mean max speed over a certain distance from a standing start?
For current discussion purposes it doesn’t matter. If you feature in the top 5 for max speed you are not “slow”.

speed on its own is meaningless

need to be able to read the play first, then be fast from a standing start and then be able to lay a tackle or pickup the ball and dish it off

as far as Gregson he has some talent but he needs to show a fair bit of it after a good run in the VFL otherwise time is running out (well it should be but having so many list cloggers he'd probably get another year regardless)

Max speed on its own is misleading when used without the context of other variables in discussing pace in actual match situations; in an ideal world there would be a metric that factored in all of acceleration over 10m, max speed, and lateral agility, a sort of "Burst Power" indicator.
Depends what the discussion is. Max speed can debunk a claim of being “too slow”. It is impossible for a player to be in the top 5 out of 44 players for max speed but be “too slow” for anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back