Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Hence there will be no compensation and all the decision makers are saying the right things to not open themselves to financial recourse from the public. AGD/Crown lawyers would have briefed them on not admitting a mistake or error in judgement.
They don't need to worry about anyone "admitting a mistake or error in judgement", as no mistakes or errors were made.

The pizza shop owner, and anyone else who lied to the authorities, on the other hand could & probably will be bankrupted by claims of lost earnings relating directly to the lies they told.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
One other jurisdiction. And had more concrete evidence than just jumping to a conclusion based on contact tracing advice.

Two lockdowns with such few cases does not make them " Best Practice"...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ummmm, NZ (Auckland) and Australia (S.A.) are not best practice? Crikeys you're a hard task marker.

You may want to check how the rest of the world is handling Covid - cases, deaths, test, trace, lockdowns etc.

Not sure there are too many jurisdictions in the world have handled it as good let alone better.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
They don't need to worry about anyone "admitting a mistake or error in judgement", as no mistakes or errors were made.

The pizza shop owner, and anyone else who lied to the authorities, on the other hand could & probably will be bankrupted by claims of lost earnings relating directly to the lies they told.
Assuming community transaction of the pizza shop guy (before uncovering the lie), because they could not think of another reason why he contracted it is not a mistake?

Nor was ordering an industry wide State Lockdown based on this assumption without any evidence of another case of community transmission?

No mistakes made at all. They acted on the information available. I get it.

Anyway.... "We are always at war with Eurasia...."

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ummmm, NZ (Auckland) and Australia (S.A.) are not best practice? Crikeys you're a hard task marker.

You may want to check how the rest of the world is handling Covid - cases, deaths, test, trace, lockdowns etc.

Not sure there are too many jurisdictions in the world have handled it as good let alone better.
Look up what best practice means.

Most jurisdictions consider lockdowns when Repriduction Number R0 equals 1.0 or greater.

That is Best Practice.

We went too early, and shut down the economy for no real benefit because they ignored Best Practice.

NZ had evidence to go early. We didn't, just an assumption.

Don't get me wrong, we have been world leaders in handling COVID, but they stuffed up this week.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Assuming community transaction of the pizza shop guy (before uncovering the lie), because they could not think of another reason why he contracted it is not a mistake?

Nor was ordering an industry wide State Lockdown based on this assumption without any evidence of another case of community transmission?

No mistakes made at all. They acted on the information available. I get it.

Anyway.... "We are always at war with Eurasia...."
Acting quickly, on the best information available to the time, making the correct decision based on that information? No mistake there.

The only mistake they've made is not opening up again quickly enough, once they found out what the liar had really been doing. I fail to see why you were all forced to remain in lockdown yesterday (Saturday).

To reiterate - there was no error, no mistake, in ordering the lockdown when they did, based on the information they had. That was world's best practice. They did err (in my opinion) in not releasing the lockdown sooner, once it was known that it was based on bad information.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
In this instance procedures that are considered most effective to stop the spread of Covid.
Did this lockdown stop any spread?

Why are we back to where we were before last Tuesday soley because one guy(and the coerces of that guy) lied?

This lockdown was based on an assumption. Not evidence based.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Acting quickly, on the best information available to the time, making the correct decision based on that information? No mistake there.

The only mistake they've made is not opening up again quickly enough, once they found out what the liar had really been doing. I fail to see why you were all forced to remain in lockdown yesterday (Saturday).

To reiterate - there was no error, no mistake, in ordering the lockdown when they did, based on the information they had. That was world's best practice. They did err (in my opinion) in not releasing the lockdown sooner, once it was known that it was based on bad information.
It is funny how when a term becomes a buzz word, few really know what that term means.

Best Practice is the standard method accepted industry wide, or accepted by multiple jurisdictions.

Going early, with the information available (and ignoring the standard R0 metric) is not Best Practice.

And they got found out. Based their actions on a lie, had to reverse the decision, with the Lockdown not achieving anything.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It is funny how when a term becomes a buzz word, few really know what that term means.

Best Practice is the standard method accepted industry wide, or accepted by multiple jurisdictions.

Going early, with the information available (and ignoring the standard R0 metric) is not Best Practice.

And they got found out. Based their actions on a lie, had to reverse the decision, with the Lockdown not achieving anything.
Have you even considered the consequences of them not locking down, if it turned out that there was no lie?

Every other state, except NSW (led by the incompetent & possibly corrupt Gladys), slammed the doors shut on SA immediately. Do you think they were wrong to do so?

I suggest you get into your time machine, travel back in time to Tuesday, and tell them that the information they have is wrong. That's the only way the lockdown decision becomes invalid, incorrect, mistaken, or in any way erroneous.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I get that COVID is fearfull and we want to think our leaders do the right things.

Especially when you see how Victoria stuffed up. And the nightmare in the USA.

But NSW and Qld have handled clusters without State/ industry wide lockdowns.

They don't panic and jump to assumptions and are still relatively safe.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Have you even considered the consequences of them not locking down, if it turned out that there was no lie?

Every other state, except NSW (led by the incompetent & possibly corrupt Gladys), slammed the doors shut on SA immediately. Do you think they were wrong to do so?

I suggest you get into your time machine, travel back in time to Tuesday, and tell them that the information they have is wrong. That's the only way the lockdown decision becomes invalid, incorrect, mistaken, or in any way erroneous.
They shut the borders based on the wrong assumptions made by our leaders.

I guess it is ok to stuff up and shut down an entire economy.....

All I am saying is they need a better standard to shut everything down next time. Not just an assumption based on the fact they cant trace where one person contracted COVID.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
I get that COVID is fearfull and we want to think our leaders do the right things.

Especially when you see how Victoria stuffed up. Andvtge nightmare in the USA.

But NSW and Qld have handled clusters without State/ industry wide lockdowns.

They don't panic and jump to assumptions and are still relatively safe.
They also didn't have information indicating a new hyper-infectious strain, which had a shorter than normal incubation period and was capable of being transmitted through "casual contacts" and didn't require the prolonged exposure required of a "close contact".

FWIW, the short incubation period is still a concern - one which NSW & QLD didn't have to deal with. Fortunately, the "casual contact" transmission turned out to be a lie - which is why you're no longer under lockdown.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
They shut the borders based on the wrong assumptions made by our leaders.

I guess it is ok to stuff up and shut down an entire economy.....

All I am saying is they need a better standard to shut everything down next time. Not just an assumption based on the fact they cant trace where one person contracted COVID.
The point is that they shut the borders based on the same information available to the SA Govt. There is literally nothing to suggest that any (other than the staggeringly incompetent Gladys) of them would have done anything different to what the SA Govt did, in terms of ordering a lockdown.

All of these Govts made decisions based on the information available to them at the time. You seem to want them to make decisions based on the assumption that their information was wrong, or based on nothing more than wishful thinking. That's nothing short of outrageous, and staggeringly dangerous.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Can easy get to that figure.

Lost wages alone about $100m ie roughly 200k people not paid out of a total workforce of about 750k in SA.

Froggy how much did this cost you?
Probably about 4K, now we can open again.
We have a couple of events cancel a couple of private jobs cancel 1 postponed.
But honestly I think it will cost us more in the long run as I reckon it’s set us back a few months now. SA health will be even more gunshy than they’ve been the last few months.
So I’m hopefully going to disappear over to WA early-mid next year and make it a working holiday, whilst events aren’t on.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Probably about 4K, now we can open again.
We have a couple of events cancel a couple of private jobs cancel 1 postponed.
But honestly I think it will cost us more in the long run as I reckon it’s set us back a few months now. SA health will be even more gunshy than they’ve been the last few months.
So I’m hopefully going to disappear over to WA early-mid next year and make it a working holiday, whilst events aren’t on.
How can you plan any decent event with such assumption based decision making by those in power.

My neighbour had a 4WD show his club organised cancelled. The venue not keen to hand back the hire fee, plus lost out on other suppliers/food vendor costs.

A small club and a loss of about 7k. Whuch is fair chunk for them. It is their main annual event.

It is pretty easy to support the Government action when all it meant was WFH and more Netflix, your one concern being Maccas is shut.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
How can you plan any decent event with such assumption based decision making by those in power.

My neighbour had a 4WD show his club organised cancelled. The venue not keen to hand back the hire fee, plus lost out on other suppliers/food vendor costs.

A small club and a loss of about 7k. Whuch is fair chunk for them. It is their main annual event.

Yep this is all too common now. Just staring to roll around to shows canceling for the 2nd time, going to be very hard to go 2-3 years for these country shows without gate takings. They have trouble getting organizers and volunteers at the best of times, can see lots walking away and these shows that have been running for 100+ years not happening again.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
They also didn't have information indicating a new hyper-infectious strain, which had a shorter than normal incubation period and was capable of being transmitted through "casual contacts" and didn't require the prolonged exposure required of a "close contact".

FWIW, the short incubation period is still a concern - one which NSW & QLD didn't have to deal with. Fortunately, the "casual contact" transmission turned out to be a lie - which is why you're no longer under lockdown.
I agree, it us more the short incubation period the other States are worried about (not so much the assumotion based decision to shut down our economy I wrongly assumed earlier) and won't open up until they are happy we have it controlled.

There is still risk of community transmission from this cluster so that makes sense.

And I do understand how the decision was made to shut down our economy. They assumed based on the information available at the time the pizza guy acquired it via community transmission. Assumption based decision making. No evidence.

I don't agree that standard is high enough to take such drastic action. Seems many do, fair enough.

Especially given the mass turn out for testing last week from our community provided evidence based data that community transmission is not happening.

They didn't need to act so fast, could have handled the cluster (as they are now) and waited for the data to come through from the mass testing before making that drastic call.

A day or two would not gave tipped the scales that much, despite the "fast moving Superstrain" fear mongering.

Remember it was meant to be 6 days hard lockdown then 8 days with minor changes to the lockdown. That is drastic action based on an assumption from one case.

Last edited:

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.

It is pretty easy to support the Government action when all it meant was WFH and more Netflix, your one concern being Maccas is shut.

Same with any travel plans. Imagine being one of those Adeladians that landed in Perth last weekend to find they are locked in a hotel room for the next 2 weeks. Maybe they were only going for the weekend like I did early October when I attended my nephews 21st in Adelaide.
I assume they wouldn’t let you leave after your in the prison hotel. Then you miss your flight, lose 2 weeks of wages etc. I’d have been ******* ropeable, since it was based on nothing.
Are those in Perth released from quarantine or still in prison, without charge?

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
The sheep shaggers are the last mob I’d base my decisions on. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Country Corruption Index:
#2, New Zealand
#12, Australia

Fixed Broadband Speeds
#22, NZ
#60, Australia

Coronavirus
Australia, 27,806 cases, 907 deaths
New Zealand, 2,019 cases, 25 deaths

If they’re the last mob you’d base decisions on?

Assisted posters in Faking Deaths on BF
Australia: 1
New Zealand: 0

Clearly you're the go-to guy for responsible decision-making

EDIT: my apologies to mistylake , I got him mixed up with Red mist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back