Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer that we imported cotton and rice from Asia, as we don't have the water required for either of them.
Hemp is a far better alternative to cotton, requiring very little water in comparison and providing similar uses. I can’t understand why we aren’t growing it instead.

Reminder, people are dying by the thousands every day

But, this clown needs sports

Also...he is so unburdened by work that he can watch reruns of baseball

Must be nice

But then he was quick to point out he only gets to watch one batter then it’s back to workkk. 🤣

Last edited:

so basically you guys think as the new housemate hadn't replaced the old housemate on the lease, I've got no argument?

As it was the lease expired in December and the real estate agent only finally got the new lease sent out in late February

But yeah thay stuff is our fault
Well I guess you’ve learned the hard way. You have no argument because she wasn’t on the lease. It really is that simple, unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hemp is a far better alternative to cotton, requiring very little water in comparison and providing similar uses. I can’t understand why we aren’t growing it instead.

Hippy artist loves ‘hemp’, shocked. Seriously though, how we went from using this awesome resource to banning it altogether just goes to show how stupid any point of view based upon, “but it’s illegal” actually is.

The weird thing is that my Dad was on that ship in late January and he came back to Adelaide sick as a dog with some type of flu.

My son ended up catching whatever it was that he had and went to the doctor in mid to late Feb, he had all the symptoms (fatigue, sore throat, cough) but wasn't allowed to be tested because he had not come into a contact with a confirmed case or someone from overseas.

I know the first real significant outbreak happened on there in mid Feb, but it's possible that it started earlier in smaller numbers.

Scary stuff.
My hubby and I got a cough virus in January...passed on from one of our Chinese students. 😳 He got back from China in mid January. We all laughingly joked that it was Corona virus. This has lingered though, so pretty sure it wasn’t. Still, it makes you wonder.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Less than 24 hours would be a quick turnaround to getting infected, developing symptoms and having a swab shoved into your brain. I think we can rule a line through the vast majority of RNA tests returning a false positive due to the 24hr window.
You mean a false negative. But there is a false assumption that it is guaranteed to show up in the RNA test if done in 24 hours. I just checked a useful site which gives a bit more understanding:
The main take home message as of current:
“In samples collected during the first 7 days after illness onset, positive rates were 66.7% for PCR and 38.3% for antibody assays.”

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You mean a false negative. But there is a false assumption that it is guaranteed to show up in the RNA test if done in 24 hours. I just checked a useful site which gives a bit more understanding:
The main take home message as of current:
“In samples collected during the first 7 days after illness onset, positive rates were 66.7% for PCR and 38.3% for antibody assays.”

yes, false negative is what I meant.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
My hubby and I got a cough virus in January...passed on from one of our Chinese students. 😳 He got back from China in mid January. We all laughingly joked that it was Corona virus. This has lingered though, so pretty sure it wasn’t. Still, it makes you wonder.
Has your hubby done any swab or blood tests? It’s usually warranted if symptoms linger for months.
I’ve witnessed a case of chronic cough, initially diagnosed as bronchitis. 1-2 months cough lingered, sputum culture was done, it ended up being Tb!

On the flipside, most lingering coughs are due to harmless lingering viruses. Still worthwhile to pursue some tests if it does linger.

Has your hubby done any swab or blood tests? It’s usually warranted if symptoms linger for months.
I’ve witnessed a case of chronic cough, initially diagnosed as bronchitis. 1-2 months cough lingered, sputum culture was done, it ended up being Tb!

On the flipside, most lingering coughs are due to harmless lingering viruses. Still worthwhile to pursue some tests if it does linger.

Cant remember the drug, but last year when I had a persistent cough my doctor gave me a drug and in a months time it cleared the cough.

Mind you I had been sick for about a 8 week period. Im soft like that when Im sick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
The likelihood that you have it is very remote. About 5 out of every 400 people with appropriate symptoms like you with a known link test positive. And you’re convinced that you have it? I wonder how many of the 395 out of 400 who tested negative were also delusional.
Has anyone told you, you’re a bit of a w8nker?

Shots fired.

bang-bang-gif.gif

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Less than 24 hours would be a quick turnaround to getting infected, developing symptoms and having a swab shoved into your brain. I think we can rule a line through the vast majority of RNA tests returning a false positive due to the 24hr window.
You won't be symptomatic inside of 24 hours, but people may have been tested inside that window due to contact tracing. Maybe...

In any case, I was specifically asking for the false positive/negative rates outside of these windows, where the RNA & antibodies being tested aren't yet present.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why him and not me? Neither of us have been to docs for it. I got it from the student who sits near me in the office, hubby likely caught it from me. Luckily our son hasn’t got it.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Read it again, he tested positive 3 days ago and is convinced he also had it earlier.
He tested positive 3 days ago, in mid-April, having previously tested negative a few days earlier.

From what we know of the disease, it's exceedingly unlikely that he had it in January.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cant remember the drug, but last year when I had a persistent cough my doctor gave me a drug and in a months time it cleared the cough.

Mind you I had been sick for about a 8 week period. Im soft like that when Im sick.
I get given prednisone when I get bad bouts, and that clears it in days. while this has been persistent and lingering, it’s a dry cough so not as devastating. That’s why I haven’t gone to get it seen to.

I get given prednisone when I get bad bouts, and that clears it in days. while this has been persistent and lingering, it’s a dry cough so not as devastating. That’s why I haven’t gone to get it seen to.

Cant recall what I was given but yes mine too was persistent and dry.

Dry being important, if it had or has phlegm its an issue.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Too complicated of a question for me. Testing is still in its relative infancy of the Covid19, so I would suspect better tests will come along with better specificity and sensitivity. It really boils down to your symptoms and the doctor's assessments, which would give you a better idea of how long to rest for, or whether you should attend to ED. The tests alone, do not necessarily tell you what to do.
I appreciate that the tests don't necessarily tell you what to do. However, I'm not really interested in the treatment plans, only the accuracy of the tests.

You've given me the best answer you can - that you don't know the "specificity and sensitivity" of the tests, which is what I (and others) wanted to know.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Fair enough. I thought you were just your average punter, if you know what I mean.
I’ve had Super, shares, even dabbled in options covered call strategies etc. sticking to ones knowledgeable area just works better for me. Equity manufacture is my thing😉.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back