Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The issue for me isn't the docking rather allowing them to disembark without testing. The inquiry (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...s-nsw-inquiry-hears-of-shortcommings/12235396) suggested many issues:

1) the 18 hour old information relied upon
2) Carnival reported two cases of respitory illness but without a corona test kit, it is the responsibility of NSW health to "join the dots"
3) poor communication from the port authority and NSW Health
4) the failure to even test the swabs taken

I appreciate these F ups happen from time to time but NSW health have let the nation down.

That said, I'm of the belief a vaccine is not on its way and we will just have to live with the virus until it mutates and goes away. So in the long run, this F up won't change total death tolls.

Cruise ship passengers would like to have faith in those who should be protecting them. Carnival Corporation, the Port Authority, NSW Health and the NSW Government all failed in their duty of care. They had the examples of the Diamond Princess and the Grand Princess in San Francisco as warnings yet took no notice of either.

The thing that really annoys me is that Gladys Berejiklian and her Government has not admitted any liability in the incident. All Gladys has said is, 'I do not want to play the blame game'. And this is the person who is trying to tell the other States to open their borders?

One only has to look at the way WA Premier Mark McGowan handled the cruise ships in WA to see what should have happened.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I note the thread has earned a Pt2. Hopefully the thread runs it's course over the next few weeks as Australia beats the virus and the footy resumes.

This thread started in early March as a response to Port's China game being under threat from the novel corona virus. As we now know the game did not eventuate and given recent developments I doubt that it will be back on the agenda until a vaccine is developed. Under the current conditions anyone travelling to China will do so at their own risk and be forced into 14 days quarantine when they return. That includes players and officials so if we went to China next year we would probably need consecutive byes to squeeze the quarantine in.

There is also the attitude of the Chinese Government to all things Australian atm. I do not think the souring of relations will help get the China deal back on track. I think it will be at least 2022 before we can resume playing in China and only then if a vaccine is found.

The question is if we are forced to defer the China deal what will it do to our financial situation?

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
There is also the attitude of the Chinese Government to all things Australian atm. I do not think the souring of relations will help get the China deal back on track. I think it will be at least 2022 before we can resume playing in China and only then if a vaccine is found.

The question is if we are forced to defer the China deal what will it do to our financial situation?

We move to Tasmania and become their AFL club.

Cruise ship passengers would like to have faith in those who should be protecting them. Carnival Corporation, the Port Authority, NSW Health and the NSW Government all failed in their duty of care. They had the examples of the Diamond Princess and the Grand Princess in San Francisco as warnings yet took no notice of either.

The thing that really annoys me is that Gladys Berejiklian and her Government has not admitted any liability in the incident. All Gladys has said is, 'I do not want to play the blame game'. And this is the person who is trying to tell the other States to open their borders?

One only has to look at the way WA Premier Mark McGowan handled the cruise ships in WA to see what should have happened.

Even Navy ships, back when I served, could dock but not disembark until customs or health cleared us (on the rare occasion they required a review).

NSW health should have turned up, along with the ambulances requested and taken the emergency patients away.

Then tested all or at least those with symptoms, processed the tests and held up disembarkation until the results were available the next day.

Being alongside, fresh food, medication, health services etc are far easier to deliver than out at sea.

It’s a frustrating one and no doubt the port authority, the captain, the operators, the on board medical staff, border force, the test lab etc all contributed to failings and learnings for NSW health in better process, communication and management will be great.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Even Navy ships, back when I served, could dock but not disembark until customs or health cleared us (on the rare occasion they required a review).

NSW health should have turned up, along with the ambulances requested and taken the emergency patients away.

Then tested all or at least those with symptoms, processed the tests and held up disembarkation until the results were available the next day.

Being alongside, fresh food, medication, health services etc are far easier to deliver than out at sea.

It’s a frustrating one and no doubt the port authority, the captain, the operators, the on board medical staff, border force, the test lab etc all contributed to failings and learnings for NSW health in better process, communication and management will be great.

The one person who showed any contrition for what happened was the young woman from NSW Health who broke down at the inquiry. Kelly-Anne Ressler was the sacrificial lamb put in front of the inquiry a first Government witness to take the heat when it should have been Brad Hazzard fronting for his Department. I felt sorry for Ms Ressler as she had no part in the decision making process and was unaware of what happened until she gave evidence before the Commission.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 1.02.29 pm.jpg

Poor Mr Hurley......

Port Adel Proud

All Australian
Apr 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Very, very informative. Thank you.

The one person who showed any contrition for what happened was the young woman from NSW Health who broke down at the inquiry. Kelly-Anne Ressler was the sacrificial lamb put in front of the inquiry a first Government witness to take the heat when it should have been Brad Hazzard fronting for his Department. I felt sorry for Ms Ressler as she had no part in the decision making process and was unaware of what happened until she gave evidence before the Commission.

I felt for her to.

On one hand she shouldn't have spoken to the media (from a professional perspective), however it is refreshing to see the raw unpolished human side to a government department.

The take away I got from her interview was she cared and felt a very heavy weight. We've all f'd up and most of us forgive quickly if the mistake was made in good faith and their is remorse.

Perhaps departments shouldn't be so scared to share exactly how they feel more often, rather than being a black box and needing FOIs for honest answers.

Jack_1870

Premium Gold
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
This is where the Federal Government has been as weak as piss.
If I was Morrision I would of demanded from Berejiklian a name by the end of the day or her resignation.
It stinks of a coverup at both State and Federal levels,someone needs to sit in a goal cell for a very long time over this.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I was Morrision I would of demanded from Berejiklian a name by the end of the day or her resignation.
It stinks of a coverup at both State and Federal levels,someone needs to sit in a goal cell for a very long time over this.
And at the time this occured. the name from Koala-Killer would've been Peter Dutton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have you seen the spat between WA premier and Federal government. WA accusing Federal
Border Control giving a sheep ship permission to dock at Fremantle full of covid19.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
* South Australia's run has ended. we had a positive today.

How the * does that happen after 18 days?

My question is answered here...

She came from overseas via Victoria and was tested at the airport.

Last edited:

If this was a civilian company, the directors would be facing criminal negligence

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
fu** South Australia's run has ended. we had a positive today.

How the fu** does that happen after 18 days?
Overseas traveller who was isolating from Victoria, then allowed into SA on compassionate grounds. This is why we shouldn't be opening the border to Victoria. I'm for compassionate travel exemptions, but surely the line should have been drawn that no one who was already isolating!

So more like the other one that busted our previous run, not a community transmission, so not likely the start of a second wave (or hidden remnants of the first).

fu** South Australia's run has ended. we had a positive today.

How the fu** does that happen after 18 days?

Easily, because people are too ******* stupid and it’s ******* stupid to aim for a constant zero.

There’s minimal benefit to continuing the bubble mentality.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Easily, because people are too ******* stupid and it’s ******* stupid to aim for a constant zero.

There’s minimal benefit to continuing the bubble mentality.

An 'exempt' overseas traveler from Victoria, she obviously didn't spend the full 14 days in quarantine in Victoria or if she did she wasn't tested before she left Victoria.

What the * is happening in Victoria? This woman flew in from overseas and was 'self isolating'. She was allowed to leave self isolation after a week and board a flight without being tested. What the * is happening in SA? She was tested at Adelaide Airport without continuing her isolation and in the meantime contacted a large number of family members before her positive test result was confirmed. Her symptoms are not severe but SA Health now have to track family contacts, the passengers on the flight, airport staff etc. etc.

This is cluster * from both sides of the border. Nicola Spurrier is saying SA will be reviewing it's exemptions protocols. That may be bad news for FIFO AFL teams from Victoria.

At the risk of stating the obvious everyone flying in from overseas should do 14 days in quarantine regardless of the circumstance. There must be no exemptions.

Last edited:
Should not count as our case. Honestly, no Vic or NSW in particular travellers. Asshats

I don't think Corona will ever go away, without a mutation

Sadly we will have to cop this on the chin, open up and get on with life living with the virus

PropertySteward

Senior List
Mar 13, 2015
Proudly Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
An 'exempt' overseas traveler from Victoria, she obviously didn't spend the full 14 days in quarantine in Victoria or if she did she wasn't tested before she left Victoria.
Yeah, apparently she spent only 1 week in quarantine, and was picked up as positive only when tested upon arriving in Adelaide. Stuff-ups all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back