Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At his press conference this morning, Mr Andrews also announced people who were instructed to self-isolate would no longer be allowed to leave their homes for exercise.

It comes after Australian Defence Force personnel and health officials conducted 3,000 doorknocks of people who were supposed to be self-isolating, and found more than 800 people were not at home.

I think if we're serious about lockdown, we need better enforcement. Either that or a new strategy is needed.

I think if we're serious about lockdown, we need better enforcement. Either that or a new strategy is needed.

I saw this and I initially thought it was a misprint or something.
Which part of the rules do these people not understand?

In Dubai if you are found to be breaking quarantine/isolation you're looking at up to $25000 fine, potential jail time and/or deportation. They are also running a name and shame campaign in the media.
Not sure Australia needs to be so draconian but obviously needs to be tougher!!

Imagine owning a business like a cafe, gym, dance studio or bar and being able to put extra people on and return to near normal trade over the last month just for a health bureaucrat with a job for life and juicy pension to arbitrarily change the rules on you even before we have a single case of community transmission... what a wonderful way to get people to dis-engage with government messaging and drive non-compliance.
I know it's hilarious listening to a Victorian saying this as we are a ******* mess but what you've said is exactly right. What the *s the end game? Suppression or elimination in SA? Come out and say it's elimination then or be prepared to shut everything forever. You're not going to have 0 cases forever, especially if you're relying on the good faith that interstate travellers are compliant with quarantine laws with next to zero follow up.

This is the government easing the anxiety of the uneducated. " Look everyone we are doing something so don't be scared we won't become a Victoria..." But the real issue is your quarantine border laws.

Last edited:

In Dubai if you are found to be breaking quarantine/isolation you're looking at up to $25000 fine, potential jail time and/or deportation. They are also running a name and shame campaign in the media.
They got away with it, with some loopholes that they were "exercising" . They've rightfully changed that law now.

Last edited:
Yeah right on. Let's just do nothing and have sh*t spread everywhere then act.
Its not about do nothing. Clearly you do something..but you attack the issue at the source. The border. Enforce people to quarantine in hotels for 14 days like international travelers. Surely the government can fork out the change to do that or make the people pay.. Or let them walk around the community sick...and force more restrictions hoping for the best?🙄

Last edited:

No we need to be that draconian.

So, at the risk of adding two and two and getting five a picture is starting to emerge about SA's latest COVID cluster.

According to this morning's press, on July 26th an essential service worker (Case A) returned to SA but could not self isolate at home so he checked into the Walker's Arms Hotel at Walkerville. In the meantime he had contact with a female student enrolled at Thebarton Senior College (Case B). This young woman in turn infected another young woman (Case C). A man in his 50's (Case D) who is known to both Case A and Case B was also infected. From this scenario all cases can be linked back to the essential services worker who re entered South Australia on the 26th and later tested positive.

Here is where the speculation starts because I recall that a para medic in his 20's recently returned from duty in Melbourne had tested positive. I am speculating that this is the same para medic who Nicola Spurrier said had followed all the correct procedures while in Victoria yet somehow became infected. If this is so I have to ask, why are essential service personnel returning from high risk operations in Melbourne required to organise their own isolation ? Why are they not isolated at the State Government's expense in a city hotel? These workers are doing a great job but surely it is time to start treating essential service workers, particularly those involved in high risk activities such as COVID-19 testing, in the same manner that we treat people returning from Mumbai?

This was not a border crossing issue, as lack of information originally lead some of us to believe, but a failure in the system. If I am correct it is no wonder that Marshall and Spurrier have not been entirely up front with the circumstances surrounding this latest cluster. If you are going to send people into danger then it is beholding on you to ensure that when these people return they are isolated properly so that the SA public is not put at risk.

False positive relief as one COVID-19 case cleared

Unknown case was a false positive (I believe that was the one that caused the bizzare alert for the Summerton gym) so no community transmission at this stage.

I am sure that Steven Summerton is quite chuffed at having a suburb named after him. ;)

I suspect the alert was for a gym at Sefton Park not Somerton Park.

A non paywalled link: https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/08/05/what-we-know-today-wednesday-august-5/

A coastal Adelaide co-working space and shopfront can re-open today after its sudden closure late yesterday due to a suspected positive COVID-19 case turned out to be a false alarm.

It was initially believed a fitness class attendee at Summertown Studio in Somerton Park tested positive to COVID-19.

All associated class members and studio staff were also tested and told to self-isolate.

But SA Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier told ABC Radio this morning the case was a false positive and follow-up testing overnight had confirmed the woman did not have the virus.

So, at the risk of adding two and two and getting five a picture is starting to emerge about SA's latest COVID cluster.

According to this morning's press, on July 26th an essential service worker (Case A) returned to SA but could not self isolate at home so he checked into the Walker's Arms Hotel at Walkerville. In the meantime he had contact with a female student enrolled at Thebarton Senior College (Case B). This young woman in turn infected another young woman (Case C). A man in his 50's (Case D) who is known to both Case A and Case B was also infected. From this scenario all cases can be linked back to the essential services worker who re entered South Australia on the 26th and later tested positive.

Here is where the speculation starts because I recall that a para medic in his 20's recently returned from duty in Melbourne had tested positive. I am speculating that this is the same para medic who Nicola Spurrier said had followed all the correct procedures while in Victoria yet somehow became infected. If this is so I have to ask, why are essential service personnel returning from high risk operations in Melbourne required to organise their own isolation ? Why are they not isolated at the State Government's expense in a city hotel? These workers are doing a great job but surely it is time to start treating essential service workers, particularly those involved in high risk activities such as COVID-19 testing, in the same manner that we treat people returning from Mumbai?

This was not a border crossing issue, as lack of information originally lead some of us to believe, but a failure in the system. If I am correct it is no wonder that Marshall and Spurrier have not been entirely up front with the circumstances surrounding this latest cluster. If you are going to send people into danger then it is beholding on you to ensure that when these people return they are isolated properly so that the SA public is not put at risk.

Hmm a bit of speculation here, I wonder if case B was a sex worker? Either way the essential worker has a lot to answer for if true...isolating at a hotel doesn't mean booty call time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm a bit of speculation here, I wonder if case B was a sex worker? Either way the essential worker has a lot to answer for if true...isolating at a hotel doesn't mean booty call time.
Sounds a bit like B was A's girlfriend, C was B's flatmate and D was the father of either B or C.
But absolutely it should have been the SA or Vic government's responsibility to make sure he was looked after upon returning if he was over in Victoria assisting in any capacity.

Sounds a bit like B was A's girlfriend, C was B's flatmate and D was the father of either B or C.
But absolutely it should have been the SA or Vic government's responsibility to make sure he was looked after upon returning if he was over in Victoria assisting in any capacity.
The important question here is how many goals did the father kick on debut?

Geez hope it isn’t the doctor

On the ABC it says they were not a health worker.

Mr Andrews said he couldn't give many details because he wanted to respect the wishes of his family.

But he did say this:

"It shouldn't have to get to a tragedy for people to acknowledge that this is a virus that affects everyone."

"But if — if that's what it takes, we're terribly saddened by this, but hopefully no-one misses that point — that this is something that's not just affecting those who are frail and aged.

"It can be deadly and it has been deadly here and around the world in people of all age groups and, indeed, people that are in otherwise good health.

"I make no comment beyond the age and gender of that person and they were not a healthworker."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back