Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruskies have apparently registered a vaccine - saw it on fox when I managed to tear myself away from the Adelaide Wobbler game.

Sounds like a start at least.

Six children under the age of 10 are among the hundreds of Victorians currently fighting coronavirus from hospital.

Of the 650 people, two are aged between 10 and 19, eight in their 20s, 20 in their 30s, 23 in their 40s, 49 in their 50s and 66 in their 60s. Meanwhile 117 patients are in their 70s, 233 in their 80s and 126 Victorians aged 90 or older.
Premier Daniel Andrews has said on a number of occasions that these statistics show COVID-19 does not discriminate based on age (or any other factor).
Victoria has recorded 331 new cases and 19 deaths in the past 24 hours – equalling the state’s worst ever tally for deaths yesterday.
Although case numbers appear to be steadily falling since last Wednesday’s peak, Mr Andrews said he can’t promise Victoria’s current restrictions will work in six weeks.
“It’ll only have the maximum chance of working in six weeks if everybody plays their part,” he said. “That’s why we’re so grateful the vast majority of people are. Your point about increased compliance, to more people at home, more people doing the right thing, so less people doing the wrong thing, that’s my sense of it.
“That’s been the trend for at least a couple of weeks, I think. So people are making better choices. Unless they do, then we won’t see movement reduced and we won’t see case numbers reduced.”

He keeps saying it doesn't discriminate based in age and to look at the figures. They show it does as well as the age of deaths. It's clearly a 50+ issue and serious in the 70+. This is known world wide and to keep pretending it's a issue across the board to justify all his rules is not helping him.

Locking down Auckland for four cases is a absurd. Once again, what is the end goal here? All the lockdowns is just kicking the can down the road whilst ruining lives. For balance let's have the suicide stats out of Victoria. Show us the damage if the measures vs the virus. Give people a clear outcome.

.I also find it interesting no one wants to talk Sweden anymore. No surprises why.

I also find it interesting no one wants to talk Sweden anymore. No surprises why.

What’s there to talk about? They’ve clocked one of the highest deaths per capita in the world, higher than both the USA and Brazil, got nowhere near herd immunity and their economy fared no better than any of their Scandinavian counterparts who have now all reopened their borders to one another. Excluding Sweden. Bravo.

Dan Andrews appeared before a public accounts and estimates committee hearing yesterday. He was grilled about the hotel quarantine program. He was asked whether the Federal government offered to provide Victoria with assistance from ADF. His answer - he believed no offer was ever made.

The Defence Minister, Linda Reynolds, has contradicted Andrews saying ADF personnel were repeatedly offered to assist with Victoria's hotel quarantine arrangements but was told by the Andrews government its help was not needed.

Would like to hear Andrews' explanation for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article below is an interesting read and should make you think about how viable lockdowns are moving forward and whether a different approach should be taken. It does seem that we’re limping towards a vaccine that likely won’t be as effective as we would like.

Dan Andrews appeared before a public accounts and estimates committee hearing yesterday. He was grilled about the hotel quarantine program. He was asked whether the Federal government offered to provide Victoria with assistance from ADF. His answer - he believed no offer was ever made.

The Defence Minister, Linda Reynolds, has contradicted Andrews saying ADF personnel were repeatedly offered to assist with Victoria's hotel quarantine arrangements but was told by the Andrews government its help was not needed.

Would like to hear Andrews' explanation for that.
From my minimal past experience with Linda Reynolds... she was probably communicating with some person named Andrew and asking them.

What’s there to talk about? They’ve clocked one of the highest deaths per capita in the world, higher than both the USA and Brazil, got nowhere near herd immunity and their economy fared no better than any of their Scandinavian counterparts who have now all reopened their borders to one another. Excluding Sweden. Bravo.

They have a high death rate of oldies yes, in a country that seemingly doesn't really care much for the olds issues. I would have thought their results contrasted with NZ and Melb would show how utterly pointless full lockdown are. A virus so deadly it appears to have been spreading through New Zealand for 102 days before a family got sick enough to get a test. It just seems insane to lockdown Auckland again and the rest of the country on restrictions when it's just been proven the first go around was pointless.

Not sure the Vics need to have an enquiry, they could just read this thread...

19 more cases out of Victoria today. Only 4 are from fly ins so the amount in the community is a worry.

Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos had this to say,

'We still have, obviously, a public health emergency in Victoria, it is still a very serious situation.'

The State of emergency in Victoria has been extended by four weeks and surely the pressure in mounting on the AFL to move the Victorian teams to interstate hubs so the competition can continue in safety.

In the past five days Victoria has recorded 26 cases of community infection. That is the highest 5 day figure since the 30 cases recorded on April 7-11th when it was considered to big a health risk to play any AFL footy at all.

Professor Sutton also said he was not considering extending the Government's forced hotel quarantine for all returned travellers to include confirmed cases and close contacts.
He said more than 1,000 Victorians were currently considered close contacts.
"There's a balancing act," he said.
"If you say that every confirmed case goes into enforced isolation, every close contact goes into enforced quarantine, there'll be people who simply don't turn up for testing on the basis they might have their close family members quarantined for two weeks.

"I don't think that taking a heavy hand will necessarily serve us well."

21 deaths and 410 new cases in Victoria today. Another sad day. A record number of deaths plus a rise in cases. We'll know more about the make-up of the cases later today.

What punishment did the security guard in Victoria end up getting? Because this has killed a lot of people.

What punishment did the security guard in Victoria end up getting? Because this has killed a lot of people.
Of all people I'd like to see Andrews punished the most. It was his decision (as part of Victoria's Crisis Council of Cabinet) to engage private security firms for the hotel quarantine program.

You needed to put in place the best security and protective measures as possible given the risks that returned travellers posed to the broader community. You knew beforehand that the virus is highly infectious, and even small breaches could seed large outbreaks throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria. And that's exactly what's happended.

The article below is an interesting read and should make you think about how viable lockdowns are moving forward and whether a different approach should be taken. It does seem that we’re limping towards a vaccine that likely won’t be as effective as we would like.

I will have a read of your link but how about this article. Geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back