Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Man behind Sweden's controversial coronavirus strategy admits mistakes

"If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done," Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden's death rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighbouring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the outset of the pandemic.

What's more, there's so far limited evidence that Sweden's decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7per cent in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.

The government has started to grow concerned at the apparent missteps taken to fight the spread of the virus in Sweden. On Monday, Lofven [Prime Minister] promised there'd be an inquiry into the handling of the crisis before the summer.

Yet there are still people saying it is fake or just like a flu and that we over reacted in Oz. 🙄

Peter Ellis, the chief data scientist of Nous Group, an international management consultancy that does data integration projects for government departments, expressed concern that Surgisphere database was “almost certainly a scam”.

“It is not something that any hospital could realistically do,” he said. “De-identifying is not just a matter of knocking off the patients’ names, it is a big and difficult process. I doubt hospitals even have capability to do it appropriately. It is the sort of thing national statistics agencies have whole teams working on, for years.”

Now why would have almost every trial of hydroxychloroquine been so quick to jump aboard a study that was “almost certainly a scam”?

If the ASCOT trial in Australia didn’t decide to go ahead anyway, do you think this report would have seen the light of day?

Some things no one can answer.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Now why would have almost every trial of hydroxychloroquine been so quick to jump aboard a study that was “almost certainly a scam”?

If the ASCOT trial in Australia didn’t decide to go ahead anyway, do you think this report would have seen the light of day?

Some things no one can answer.
If the authenticity of this data analysis has been so easily picked apart it reflects very poorly on WHO for so quickly using the tainted results to advise governments. Will see what more they find out about this group, Surgisphere and where / who it stemmed from.

As for The Lancet being reputable, it might be hard to know which journals really are reputable or which peer reviews are done properly or without bias. Science can be a murky world unfortunately with funding difficult to attain and many agendas, not all of the good kind.

As for countries being led up the garden path, China’s advice that putting sufferers on ventilators early Is the best way to treat serious cases of covid19 has proven to be ill advised and counterproductive to other countries when dealing with these patients.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
A former head of MI6 has said he believes the coronavirus pandemic "started as an accident" when the virus escaped from a laboratory in China.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Sir Richard Dearlove said he had seen an "important" new scientific report suggesting the virus did not emerge naturally but was man-made by Chinese scientists.

The apparent discovery will raise the prospect of China paying "reparations" for the death and economic catastrophe wreaked upon the world, the former intelligence chief said. It comes as Beijing faces growing pressure to explain precisely how coronavirus first began to spread late last year.

International scientists have reached a near-unanimous consensus, however, that the virus emerged in animals – most likely bats or pangolins – before jumping to the human population.

But Sir Richard, 75, pointed to a scientific paper published this week by a Norwegian-British research team who claim to have discovered clues within Covid-19's genetic sequence suggesting key elements were "inserted" and may not have evolved naturally.

From the outset, the Chinese government has endeavoured to "lock down" any debate about the origins of the virus and Beijing's handling of the crisis, he claimed.

"I do think that this started as an accident," Sir Richard told The Telegraph's new Planet Normal podcast (listen through the player at the top of this story). "It raises the issue, if China ever were to admit responsibility, does it pay reparations? I think it will make every country in the world rethink how it treats its relationship with China and how the international community behaves towards the Chinese leadership."

Sir Richard, who was the head of MI6 between 1999 and 2004, cited startling new peer-reviewed research produced by Professor Angus Dalgleish, of St George's Hospital at the University of London, and the Norwegian virologist Birger Sorensen.

In their paper, the scientists claim to have identified "inserted sections placed on the SARS-CoV-2 Spike surface" that explain how the virus binds itself to human cells.

"The SARS-CoV-2 spike is significantly different from any other Sars that we have studied," the paper says.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Man behind Sweden's controversial coronavirus strategy admits mistakes

"If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done," Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden's death rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighbouring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the outset of the pandemic.

What's more, there's so far limited evidence that Sweden's decision to leave much of its society open will support the economy. Finance Minister Magdalena Andersson recently warned that Sweden is facing its worst economic crisis since World War II, with GDP set to slump 7per cent in 2020, roughly as much as the rest of the EU.

The government has started to grow concerned at the apparent missteps taken to fight the spread of the virus in Sweden. On Monday, Lofven [Prime Minister] promised there'd be an inquiry into the handling of the crisis before the summer.

I am not sure if it is increased testing or a data adjustment but Sweden experienced a huge spike in positive tests yesterday. They went from 38,589 positives to 40,803 an increase of 2214. Surely there has to be an error in those figures?

The death rate is dropping and Anders Tegnell is really rapt in the fact that the daily death rate in Sweden has dropped below 100 deaths per day. Yesterday the death figure was down to 74. Australia's death rate currently sits at 4/million as opposed to Sweden's 450/million.

It is bad news about the Swedish economy though as apart from the possibility of herd immunity the prospect of minimising the economic fall out was the reason the Swedish Government went with Tegnell's approach. Despite a COVID-19 lockdown Australia's economy shrank by 0.3% in the last quarter and that is only a fraction of that experienced in the EU and it looks like Sweden as well. The experts are predicting that the Australian economy will contract by up to 8% in the June quarter but at the start of the pandemic many of those same experts were predicting a 20% fall.

All in all I am glad to be living in Australia.

I am not sure if it is increased testing or a data adjustment but Sweden experienced a huge spike in positive tests yesterday. They went from 38,589 positives to 40,803 an increase of 2214. Surely there has to be an error in those figures?

The death rate is dropping and Anders Tegnell is really rapt in the fact that the daily death rate in Sweden has dropped below 100 deaths per day. Yesterday the death figure was down to 74. Australia's death rate currently sits at 4/million as opposed to Sweden's 450/million.

It is bad news about the Swedish economy though as apart from the possibility of herd immunity the prospect of minimising the economic fall out was the reason the Swedish Government went with Tegnell's approach. Despite a COVID-19 lockdown Australia's economy shrank by 0.3% in the last quarter and that is only a fraction of that experienced in the EU and it looks like Sweden as well. The experts are predicting that the Australian economy will contract by up to 8% in the June quarter but at the start of the pandemic many of those same experts were predicting a 20% fall.

All in all I am glad to be living in Australia.
And deaths per million in Sweden will continue to grow at a steady pace. Daily cases of new infections aren't showing any real signs of slowing down. That's not surprising given the current strategy. I don't think it's clear how close Sweden is to achieving herd immunity.

Daily deaths are declining but still remain stubbornly high. About 4,500 deaths so far in a country that averages 90,000 per year.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
20200604_130659.png

There is always bias, but let's ignore all the evidence because these things are usually written/said/documented by 'kooky vegans'.

Ignorance truly is bliss when it comes to eating meat.

Eating meat is truly bliss.

And deaths per million in Sweden will continue to grow at a steady pace. Daily cases of new infections aren't showing any real signs of slowing down. That's not surprising given the current strategy. I don't think it's clear how close Sweden is to achieving herd immunity.

Daily deaths are declining but still remain stubbornly high. About 4,500 deaths so far in a country that averages 90,000 per year.

It is also often forgotten that Sweden have been encouraging social distancing the whole time as well.
They just didn’t legislate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Unsurprisingly Victoria still the epicentre. Still of course no change to make Vic AFL clubs move to hubs outside Covidtoria though.

Another 8 cases in Victoria on 4/06. That makes 50 new cases in Victoria over the past 7 days.

The problem for the rest of Australia is that the infection rate in Victoria is not diminishing, it is been around 9 new cases a day since May 2nd.

The totals for each State and Territory since May 1st

NSW- 89
WA- 41
Qld- 26
Tas- 5
SA- 2
NT- 2
ACT- 1

Vic- 316

Over 65% of all the infection reported in Australia for the past month has been reported in Victoria yet the Victorians do not think they have a problem. Daniel Andrews has buckled under popular pressure and is determined to unlock Victoria by July.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
There's still a lot we don't know about the virus. Herd immunity even if achieved may not offer long term protection in the absence of vaccine in the short term. Maybe the virus will mutate or maybe protection is short term only without the virus mutating.

I think the strategy always carried some political risk. Daily deaths are off their highs but not declining quickly enough to ward off the political pressure that is building. And by comparison Finland and Norway seem to have done much better.

By this logic, if protection is indeed only short term, then it would be highly unlikely that a vaccine would be able to provide any sort of long term protection.

It is this reason, along with history showing the difficulty in creating a vaccine for a coronavirus (ie there not being one for SARS in 2002/03) as to why I'm skeptical that an effective vaccine will ever reach the market. I have no doubt that something will be available to the general population, but whether it is efficacious will be another story altogether.

By this logic, if protection is indeed only short term, then it would be highly unlikely that a vaccine would be able to provide any sort of long term protection.

It is this reason, along with history showing the difficulty in creating a vaccine for a coronavirus (ie there not being one for SARS in 2002/03) as to why I'm skeptical that an effective vaccine will ever reach the market. I have no doubt that something will be available to the general population, but whether it is efficacious will be another story altogether.
I think Aus will be well placed if there's no effective vaccine or one that offers short term protection only, with 6 of the 8 states/territories achieving or close to achieving elimination. Vic and NSW are a different story but at least their community transmission numbers are low. Vic reported 8 new cases today but 7 were linked to an outbreak at a hotel that is accommodating quarantined aussies returning from overseas. We'll need to keep our international borders closed but with exceptions made with countries like New Zealand.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I think Aus will be well placed if there's no effective vaccine or one that offers short term protection only, with 6 of the 8 states/territories achieving or close to achieving elimination. Vic and NSW are a different story but at least their community transmission numbers are low. Vic reported 8 new cases today but 7 were linked to an outbreak at a hotel that is accommodating quarantined aussies returning from overseas. We'll need to keep our international borders closed but with exceptions made with countries like New Zealand.

Oh yes the numbers of low enough that I wouldn't be surprised if you could eradicate it without a vaccine anyway.

I know that this is an ever changing situation, but I was told last month from a close friend who has a family friend on the board of tourism Australia, and that board was at that time planning for international tourism not to return to normal until the end of next year at the earliest.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aboriginal deaths in custody activists planning a big solidarity rally for Melbourne this weekend. Daniel Andrews pleading with them to stay home.

Overnight the BBC carried a story about a big spike in COVID-19 cases in Iran with experts claiming they eased the lockdown too early. It will be interesting to see if the rallies across the world result in a spike in COVID-19 cases. If there is no spike in places like Washington and London then maybe there is a case for limited crowds back at sporting contests?

In Australia what happens in Melbourne, where the virus is still active, may be a good indicator of the case for allowing limited crowds, with distancing controls, back into the footy.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep the idea of the protest is valid but the timing couldn’t be worse...aafter weeks of countries decimating their economies and working their butts off to avoid a second wave it could all have been i n vain if there are several covid19 spreaders in the crowds.
What a year.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep the idea of the protest is valid

Sure if you think protesting a Police incident in America is valid here but hey it's the same people who were busy telling everyone else what to do the last few months so police enforcement of the Corona rules are out the window. If Dan was consistent they'd all be getting fined but we have seen this around the globe now as the various BLM chapters around the place activate.

Good luck governments of the West telling people you can't open your business, play sports or attend a funeral in more than 10 or 20 etc as you allow thousands of people out and about to basically rub on each other all sweaty and shouting for hours on end.

Also Lancet has pulled the hydrochloroquine study because it just happened to be done because politics. Called it and it's a disgrace the level of hatred, demonising and actively attacking the use of a drug that's been used safely for 70 years and by millions each day.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have no issue with indigenous people protesting, the white middle class student types are just horny for an outlet though and look even that's fine to an extent but I feel like it's more of a cabin fever emotion burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back