Handyandy

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2005
Jinhua, Zhejiang, China
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
No, the rich get richer. Who do you think has the cash to load up when the market panics? Pick up distressed assets? Their drop in wealth is temporary but they will be back stronger if their gains from the market recovery haven't already outstripped their losses. The real losers are the middle and working class with the exception of government employees who go along as if nothing has happened.
no, the uber rich are generally strung out, heavy margin loans on speculative assets that need immediate payment. highly exposed to swing markets with a huge amount of their assets tied up in luxury property/ assets/ shares etc which drop like a stone in times like these. the average punter like me may see their house price drop a tiny bit, but I am not selling now so who cares, I might see my super drop a bit, but I am not retiring tomorrow so doesn't matter now. the uber rich pay the highest price, they have the most to lose, after all if you are poor, what do you have to lose?. my boss had 2 investement properties in bali, he has gone quiet on how they are going now.
rivkin sold out early, told his investors to do likewise, put his coin in gold/ silver and new emerging industries, but the average Richie rich has lost far more than you and I could dream of.
same as the great depression, do you think it was working class people jumping out of high rises when the market slumped?. no. that was the opportunity, socially and economically for the working class to assert themselves and buy back some of the assets held in trust by the uber wealthy. history is very interesting. you can learn from it or ignore it at your peril

Last edited:

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Does anyone understand what this means? Does this woman have covid or not? Why is it being recorded as an inactive case? How old is old?
The wording is pretty confusing as it does not go into much detail. Apparently the woman in question flew into Adelaide from South Africa on the weekend. She tested positive but was not contagious as she first contracted the virus in South Africa possibly several weeks ago. We know it is possible for people to test positive for COVID-19 for several months after first contracting the virus so maybe that is what they mean by 'historical'.

I guess the good news is although she is positive, she is not contagious and is in quarantine.

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The ABC has dug into Victoria’s contact tracing efforts with a couple of their recent articles which is somewhat of a surprise given it was ScoMo that first put it into the public domain as an issue.

It’s important to separate issues around the system being overwhelmed by sheer numbers and look at it on an apples v apples basis. The underlying theme is that funding has been slowly stripped out of the Victorian healthcare system over time.

Fed up with 'woeful' contact tracing, Melbourne GPs have found a local solution

NSW had the ingredients for a second wave, but two key differences changed everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
The ABC has dug into Victoria’s contact tracing efforts with a couple of their recent articles which is somewhat of a surprise given it was ScoMo that first put it into the public domain as an issue.

It’s important to separate issues around the system being overwhelmed by sheer numbers and look at it on an apples v apples basis. The underlying theme is that funding has been slowly stripped out of the Victorian healthcare system over time.

Fed up with 'woeful' contact tracing, Melbourne GPs have found a local solution

NSW had the ingredients for a second wave, but two key differences changed everything
From the 2nd article

"They've had a proud history of many, many years of advanced investment in public health … they've had embedded public health units in all their local health districts," he said.

About 3 weeks ago I was listening to a radio program out of Sydney, think on ABC News Radio, talking about how NSW and Sydney in particular, have strong local area health service districts and those districts whilst integrated with the whole public system, has a high degree of autonomy, but has been able to seamlessly work with NSW Health Department in coordination response to covid.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Ruby Princess is again pressing for State boundaries to reopen. Gladys is taking aim at Queensland although she will not admit it. If Gladys is that keen to reopen borders why not try it with the New South Wales/ Victoria border? That would open up the economy and also show us all exactly how good the New South Wales contact tracing system is.

Gladys talks about 'living with the virus' a philosophy which the leaders in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, the ACT, and Northern Territory apparently do not share because they have all but eliminated the virus in their jurisdictions. Maybe Gladys needs to reduce those positive numbers in New South Wales in line with other States rather than have the other States slip to her State's lower standards?

Queensland recorded another 8 local cases today so they also need to take care.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not an anti-vaxxer but this is damn scary to think everyone's rushing to be the first to get a vaccine in mass production without the known long term effects...
The Oxford vaccine is a 'live' vaccine in that it is derived from a virus found in chimpanzees. The virus is supposed to be harmless to humans but who knows? After all the COVID-19 virus is reported to have originated in bats.

The reports are sketchy about the extent and nature of the illness among trial participants. The Oxford trial currently involves tens of thousands of people across three continents so hopefully these are just a handful of coincidental developments.

As I posted some months back when a vaccine is available I intend to wait for twelve months before getting the jab.

MaxPowa

Senior List
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Ruby Princess is again pressing for State boundaries to reopen. Gladys is taking aim at Queensland although she will not admit it. If Gladys is that keen to reopen borders why not try it with the New South Wales/ Victoria border? That would open up the economy and also show us all exactly how good the New South Wales contact tracing system is.

Gladys talks about 'living with the virus' a philosophy which the leaders in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, the ACT, and Northern Territory apparently do not share because they have all but eliminated the virus in their jurisdictions. Maybe Gladys needs to reduce those positive numbers in New South Wales in line with other States rather than have the other States slip to her State's lower standards?

Queensland recorded another 8 local cases today so they also need to take care.

Context for QLD cases is important as well. Five were are family that were already in quarantine, of the remaining three, two are health care workers in quarantine and one is one of the health care workers children (with them in quarantine).

Really sick of the lack of nuance in media reporting - instead of the headline saying 8 cases for Qld - but no community transmission of course the go with "biggest daily increase in months!!!"

100 cases of people in quarantine is better than 1 case of community transmission.

Speaking of Qld, had a great five day break up to Cairns - fantastic deals on at the moment and well worth it - particularly over the next month before stinger season starts and/ or they open the border to NSW. I have to say the professionalism of the border operation at Adelaide airport (dedicated processing terminals for cross-border applications, separation of arrivals and departures with people monitored by police positioned every 30 or so metres along the concourse) should instill great confidence in the integrity and organisation of our logistical response to cross-border movement controls. Landing in Cairns was a little more slap-dash though at least every person was interviewed and had to provide photographic ID with an SA address.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
According to TEN News this evening one person has developed transverse myelitis while on the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trial. Researchers are trying to determine if this is a one off case and a reaction to the vaccine.

Thus far it does not appear to be a mass reaction.

FOOTNOTE AstraZeneca are now refuting that a volunteer has transverse myelitis. The side effect is still undiagnosed.

Last edited:

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It has been revealed that Melbourne’s curfew wasn’t a recommendation by the Chief Health Officer and instead appears to have been an arbitrary decision.

On the plus side there does seem to be some flexibility with the roadmap.

Andrews defends Melbourne curfew, but says roadmap is not set in 'stone tablets'

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Several times I have heard people talk about Andrews giving X consecutive days of press conference. Think it's in the mid 70's now. Some say he should take a day off, he looks tired, etc.

I have thought out aloud whenever I see/hear that, haven't you guys looked at Governor Andrew Cuomo in New York do his pressers??

Today ie 9th US time, was his 193rd consecutive day of pressers since 1st of March. Yes NY state is 3 times the population of Victoria (19.5m vs 6.6m) but he has had 100 of those days where he had to announce 100+ deaths, and about a month of 700-1,000 deaths a day. Victoria after just over 6 months has just recorded its 700th death.

Plus he always has others at his table there who can provide more detailed health info for questions from the media.

Here is the presser from today which gives you an idea of how much and how he presents the info to the press. Sure there is a degree of political spin in there but its more watchable than Andrews stuff.

Last edited:

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can't host 85 football teams, Richmond players out on the strippers, get the granny in town and let this happen, disgrace, what appalling lack of judgment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

OneGreatClub

Hall of Famer
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The case for elimination
and against

Last edited:

MaxPowa

Senior List
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The other side of the story...

The continued tough stance on the NSW border may become untenable. NSW new cases all linked to clusters or from hotel quarantine, if the article in the tiser today and the internal government rumour mill I've heard from are correct SA's border to NSW will come down almost definitely early next week (unless there is a significant change to numbers there).

Not sure how that will fit with Palaszczuk's 'best health advice' that borders should stay until the day after the next Qld election, November 1 😅.

Chewy316

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
The other side of the story...

Other side of the story?! There is no other side to this story!

Canberra has not had a case of covid in 60 days. The Bateman's Bay cluster was sorted over 3 and a half weeks ago. There was absolutely no risk to the public for this woman to be granted an exemption on compassionate grounds.

Today we saw the true colours of the Muppet premier of QLD. If this doesn't sink her election hopes they might as well call her Teflon Ana.

mynameissilver

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
Other side of the story?! There is no other side to this story!

Canberra has not had a case of covid in 60 days. The Bateman's Bay cluster was sorted over 3 and a half weeks ago. There was absolutely no risk to the public for this woman to be granted an exemption on compassionate grounds.

Today we saw the true colours of the Muppet premier of QLD. If this doesn't sink her election hopes they might as well call her Teflon Ana.
We call her Anastazie up here. The only reason she will get back in is coz the opposition leader here is lame.

Chewy316

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
We call her Anastazie up here. The only reason she will get back in is coz the opposition leader here is lame.
Yeah Deb is useless. But I still would be surprised if Palaszczuk won the election. I'm not sure there has been a bigger lack of leadership and a more corrupt and power hungry govt than this current mob currently running QLD. It's disgusting.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm no anti-vaxxer, but i'm absolutely not going to rush to get vaccinated by any COVID vaccine for a comfortable period of time after it's released.
Have a feeling those who don’t will be limited in where you can visit. Those who are vaxed will probs have a certificate like the one I have with the flu shot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duck Farmer

Est. 1820
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots, Mitchelton-Scott
Yeah Deb is useless. But I still would be surprised if Palaszczuk won the election. I'm not sure there has been a bigger lack of leadership and a more corrupt and power hungry govt than this current mob currently running QLD. It's disgusting.
I'm still trying to work the f*ck out how szczuk is pronounced shay.

Top Bottom