Chewy316

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I knew sz is pronounced shh in polish from famous olympians names, but not how cz and uk are pronounced.
Don't try to figure it out, it'll do your head in. Even sz can be pronounced "itz" depending on where it lies in the name. I'm Polish and even half the time I'm getting it wrong!

EskimoPAFC

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Several times I have heard people talk about Andrews giving X consecutive days of press conference. Think it's in the mid 70's now. Some say he should take a day off, he looks tired, etc.

I have thought out aloud whenever I see/hear that, haven't you guys looked at Governor Andrew Cuomo in New York do his pressers??

Today ie 9th US time, was his 193rd consecutive day of pressers since 1st of March. Yes NY state is 3 times the population of Victoria (19.5m vs 6.6m) but he has had 100 of those days where he had to announce 100+ deaths, and about a month of 700-1,000 deaths a day. Victoria after just over 6 months has just recorded its 700th death.

Plus he always has others at his table there who can provide more detailed health info for questions from the media.

Here is the presser from today which gives you an idea of how much and how he presents the info to the press. Sure there is a degree of political spin in there but its more watchable than Andrews stuff.

I tuned out of having any interest in what Andrews had to say in his press conferences when I heard about the misinformation he was providing around the impact on age groups.

It's not unreasonable to think that the governor of one of the biggest and most diverse/complicated cities in the entire world is going to be far more confident, resilient and intelligent than the leader of a small town in the pacific though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holden Hillbilly

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, St. Pauls Old Scholars
GWS coach Leon Cameron has detonated the selection bombshell of the season.
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Giants captain Stephen Coniglio has been sensationally omitted from the team to face Melbourne on Saturday night.

He is 15 games into a heavily back-ended seven-year contract worth close to $7 million across its duration.

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other side of the story?! There is no other side to this story!

Canberra has not had a case of covid in 60 days. The Bateman's Bay cluster was sorted over 3 and a half weeks ago. There was absolutely no risk to the public for this woman to be granted an exemption on compassionate grounds.

Today we saw the true colours of the Muppet premier of QLD. If this doesn't sink her election hopes they might as well call her Teflon Ana.
It’s hard to believe we’re getting these kinds of statements for senior QLD leaders. What on earth is going on?

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
It’s hard to believe we’re getting these kinds of statements for senior QLD leaders. What on earth is going on?

He is correct, the ACT is in the middle of New South Wales. The ACT has an open border with NSW, in fact that border has never been closed. The reasoning is probably if Qld opened it's borders to the ACT there is nothing to stop an enterprising Sydneysider from crossing into the ACT and slipping into Qld. The converse is, as the CHO suggests, a lot of Canberra residents have property on the NSW coast and there is no restriction on their travel movements. A couple of the more significant NSW clusters have been on the NSW south cost.

Last edited:

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He is correct, the ACT is in the middle of New South Wales. The ACT has an open border with NSW, in fact that border has never been closed. The reasoning is probably if Qld or SA opened it's borders to the ACT there is nothing to stop an enterprising Sydneysider from crossing into the ACT and slipping into Qld or SA. The converse is, as the CHO suggests, a lot of Canberra residents have property on the NSW coast and there is no restriction on their travel movements. A couple of the more significant NSW clusters have been on the NSW south cost.
There hasn't been an active case in ACT for 43 days. For the entire duration of the pandemic, there has only been 1 case of unknown community transmission in the ACT logged on 17 April. There has been precisely zero impact of any NSW cluster on the ACT. There is no rational basis at all for claiming the ACT is a hotspot.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There hasn't been an active case in ACT for 43 days. For the entire duration of the pandemic, there has only been 1 case of unknown community transmission in the ACT logged on 17 April. There has been precisely zero impact of any NSW cluster on the ACT. There is no rational basis at all for claiming the ACT is a hotspot.
It is about the ability of people to move freely between the ACT and NSW. As soon as you open the border to the ACT the entire dynamic changes and risk increases because the incentive to travel from NSW to the ACT increases.

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is about the ability of people to move freely between the ACT and NSW. As soon as you open the border to the ACT the entire dynamic changes and risk increases because the incentive to travel from NSW to the ACT increases.
This is an entirely separate issue to labeling the ACT a hot spot. The CHO's comments were made yesterday when the objective reality is that there has been no impact of NSW clusters on the ACT for weeks now, despite the free travel between Canberra and the NSW coast. This should provide assurance that there is negligible risk of virus transmission but bizarrely has been used to claim the opposite.

If the concern is that Canberra Airport will be used as some sort of cheat for people to access Sydney via Canberra and vice versa - there are mechanisms that can very easily be put in place to control for this. SA has a 40 km buffer zone with Victoria, there is no reason why similar zones can't be implemented in and around the ACT.

"I live in metropolitan Sydney, can I drive to Canberra to catch a flight to Adelaide/Brisbane?"

"No."

Duckimus Prime

Club Legend
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You can't host 85 football teams, Richmond players out on the strippers, get the granny in town and let this happen, disgrace, what appalling lack of judgment.

The reporting on this is so bullshit. There's no double standard between the football executives coming in and this girl. She's in 2 weeks quarantine in Queensland, after that is finished she will be allowed to travel around Queensland freely.

The AFL executives are all in 2 weeks quarantine within the hub in Queensland. Like this girl who couldn't see her dad, they're not allowed to travel around Queensland freely until after they've completed that 2 week period.

The Richmond players out at the strippers have already long completed their quarantine period, so from a Queensland law point of view they can freely travel around the state now. They have some additional restrictions placed on them by the AFL, but not by state governments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dirty2

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
I never get sick.... so I reckon my theory is everyone will die.... and I will be stuck kicking a footy at adelaide oval by my self...

Eddie Dingle

Some more cheese please
Apr 16, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The reporting on this is so bullshit. There's no double standard between the football executives coming in and this girl. She's in 2 weeks quarantine in Queensland, after that is finished she will be allowed to travel around Queensland freely.

The AFL executives are all in 2 weeks quarantine within the hub in Queensland. Like this girl who couldn't see her dad, they're not allowed to travel around Queensland freely until after they've completed that 2 week period.

The Richmond players out at the strippers have already long completed their quarantine period, so from a Queensland law point of view they can freely travel around the state now. They have some additional restrictions placed on them by the AFL, but not by state governments.
When the Queensland CHO admits giving exemptions based on the potential financial gain for her state it's not a good look. It stops being about health right about then I reckon.

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yet another anti-lockdown article. Take note of the French data on cases vs deaths and their approach to the new wave of cases.

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even the modellers aren’t happy with how the vic gov is using their model

In a piece for The Australian newspaper, the professors wrote that many of the assumptions used in the modelling may change in coming weeks.

"Could Melbourne get to fewer than five cases over a fortnight by October 26? Yes, it is possible. But it would be quite a remarkable achievement," they wrote.

"Just as we laud the government for providing clear guidelines based on a September 3 model, we urge the government to keep refining the models, perhaps build in considerations such as aged-care versus community, or rural versus metro, into future modelling."

EDIT: here’s the The Australian article that goes harder at Andrews: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...n/news-story/dcc3522b0053ca9d201ff9789fe6c872

Last edited:

OneGreatClub

Hall of Famer
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
GWS coach Leon Cameron has detonated the selection bombshell of the season.
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Giants captain Stephen Coniglio has been sensationally omitted from the team to face Melbourne on Saturday night.

He is 15 games into a heavily back-ended seven-year contract worth close to $7 million across its duration.
Well,that worked

_VXV

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2014
etHELLton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm still trying to work the f*ck out how szczuk is pronounced shay.
I heard Rolly(?)Sussex the linguist discuss this a couple of weeks ago on 891. The pronunciation stems from her father being a teacher & having students that struggled to say his name correctly. Went with the shay to simplify & it’s just stuck apparently.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Good news- the Astra Zeneca vaccine has been cleared by the NHMA in the UK and the trial is now back on track. The fact that there are currently 18,000 volunteers involved in the trial and it was suspended for a single abnormal symptom speaks well for the credibility of the trial.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Capital Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra