Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If that were to happen what would be the ramifications for our finals?

Wouldn't it mean we'd have to 'hub' once again in QLD for the duration of the finals? If they do close the borders to SA on the back of us opening up with NSW & the ACT wouldn't that mean we'd need to do the 14days quarantine in QLD before we can play there? If that were to happen then we wouldn't even get our first final here as there would be no possible way of playing here then relocating to QLD to then spend 14 days in isolation before playing again. The AFL haven't and won't extend the season any longer so we'd be off to QLD for every finals game?

Am I reading this right?

It would be soooo bad to end up not having any finals at Adelaide Oval despite being basically Covid free and having spent every week of this season on top.
It's so ridiculous that I seriously doubt SA will be closed to QLD. As it is, we should have 2 home finals anyway and if we play off in the GF enough time should have passed for it to be an non-issue. If it is an issue, it will be up to the AFL to find a workable solution. I'm sure QLD will come to the party if they intend on hosting the GF.

MaxPowa

Senior List
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One would hope there has been some level of consultation between the SA and Qld governments on what an SA reopening to ACT and/ or NSW would mean given Qld and SA have been fully reintegrated for two months and suddenly putting a border in place will be very disruptive, not just to the AFL. Also, let's not forget the NT...

Given the track records of the States though I do worry... One thing this whole experience has shown is that States are archaic and irrelevant and premiers (in general) cannot be trusted. While I am sentimentally attached to SA - we are also the most over governed populace per capita in the world, get rid of States as an administrative entity, beef up regional super councils and bring Australia back to a more efficient and effective two tier government system.

MaxPowa

Senior List
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ACT only and have to travel by air (and prove you haven't been in NSW I am assuming). No decision on NSW for another 10-11 days. Source crowtiser

Capital Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
ACT only and have to travel by air (and prove you haven't been in NSW I am assuming). No decision on NSW for another 10-11 days. Source crowtiser
You beauty. Icing on the cake would be getting tickets to a home final. Bummer that we can't drive as I'm sure airfares will be outrageous.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
You beauty. Icing on the cake would be getting tickets to a home final. Bummer that we can't drive as I'm sure airfares will be outrageous.
Obviously fly only is designed to keep the riff raff out. ;)

Mind you with the price of petrol in the ACT it will probably be cheaper to fly.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
42 new cases in Victoria and in some very good news, no deaths. That's the first time Australia has recorded no deaths since mid July.
Yes good news about the death rate . I note the Victorian test numbers have dropped off over the past few days. Today and yesterday the number of tests was half that of Saturday's number. This maybe because fewer people are tested on the week end or there are fewer people with symptoms.

1600140472066.png

Capital Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Obviously fly only is designed to keep the riff raff out. ;)

Mind you with the price of petrol in the ACT it will probably be cheaper to fly.
Unfortunately this seems at the moment like a hollow win. Virgin direct flights not resuming until November. Qantas has limited departures for $700 each way (the last time I travelled we got one way tickets for $139). I'm hoping the airlines will schedule additional services now this has been announced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pastmyprimus

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2011
Too far from the heartland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes good news about the death rate . I note the Victorian test numbers have dropped off over the past few days. Today and yesterday the number of tests was half that of Saturday's number. This maybe because fewer people are tested on the week end or there are fewer people with symptoms.

View attachment 961962
Having a day of zero deaths in such a long time has given people a bit of a boost. Still there are patients in ICU and on ventilators so we'll see more deaths in the days to come.

The Vic Premier and Chief Health Officer are still urging Victorians even with the mildest of symptoms to get tested. Like you say I think there are fewer people with symptons and that's driving down the numbers. That's not surprising coming out of winter.

Even NSW test numbers are down, and probably for the same reason.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Unfortunately this seems at the moment like a hollow win. Virgin direct flights not resuming until November. Qantas has limited departures for $700 each way (the last time I travelled we got one way tickets for $139). I'm hoping the airlines will schedule additional services now this has been announced
You would hope so. It all seems a bit pointless opening borders if airlines are not going to respond.

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
Having a day of zero deaths in such a long time has given people a bit of a boost. Still there are patients in ICU and on ventilators so we'll see more deaths in the days to come.

The Vic Premier and Chief Health Officer are still urging Victorians even with the mildest of symptoms to get tested. Like you say I think there are fewer people with symptons and that's driving down the numbers. That's not surprising coming out of winter.

Even NSW test numbers are down, and probably for the same reason.

1600145580609.png

NSW deaths 1/5 = 42, 22/5 = 49, 31/7 = 49, 1/8 = 50, 13/8 = 51, 16/8 = 52.

dirty2

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
If someone gets me a ticket to the grand final I will drive us all there... should be able to go a few back roads in my patrol... ;)

RussellEbertHandball

Flick pass expert
Nov 16, 2004
SE Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
If someone gets me a ticket to the grand final I will drive us all there... should be able to go a few back roads in my patrol... ;)
I did have a look at it a month ago when it looked like Brisbane would get the GF.

800 km drive to Innamincka along the Strzelecki track, then a 50km dodgy unsealed roads drive over the Qld border to Nappa Merrie where the Burke and Wills Dig Tree memorial is, then a 300km to Thargomindah on unsealed roads, then another 200km drive mostly on unsealed roads to Cunnamulla. From there to Brisbane its all sealed roads but another 800 kms or so. That's an approx 2,150 km drive. The drive to Sydney then Brisbane is approx 1,400 + 900 kms = 2,300km.

Could go via Cameron's Corner on the Qld/NSW/SA border which you turn off turn off about 150km before Innamincka then take all these dodgy unsealed roads to Thargomindah.

Concluded its cheaper and easier to buy a plane flight now with a date change option and leave the above trip to when I'm a grey nomad.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

There is a fair bit of a difference between an average of 49 cases and an average of 31 cases over the 14 day period. Somewhere between 30 and 50 is a pretty vague benchmark for the lifting of restrictions in Victoria. As the above article shows Victoria is currently running at an average of 52.9 so that is not far off the 50 mark. I suspect that Daniel Andrews will aim to get the figure to around 40 by the end of September then start to ease the restrictions.

raptalia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I did have a look at it a month ago when it looked like Brisbane would get the GF.

800 km drive to Innamincka along the Strzelecki track, then a 50km dodgy unsealed roads drive over the Qld border to Nappa Merrie where the Burke and Wills Dig Tree memorial is, then a 300km to Thargomindah on unsealed roads, then another 200km drive mostly on unsealed roads to Cunnamulla. From there to Brisbane its all sealed roads but another 800 kms or so. That's an approx 2,150 km drive. The drive to Sydney then Brisbane is approx 1,400 + 900 kms = 2,300km.

Could go via Cameron's Corner on the Qld/NSW/SA border which you turn off turn off about 150km before Innamincka then take all these dodgy unsealed roads to Thargomindah.

Concluded its cheaper and easier to buy a plane flight now with a date change option and leave the above trip to when I'm a grey nomad.
Make sure you have enough fuel though...

TeeKray

Mar 1, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine being locked up because you travelled from a state that doesn't have the virus to another state that doesn't have the virus within a country you are a legal citizen of.

Our civil rights and freedoms have been eroded, in most cases without so much as an explanation as to why, nor the need to actually justify each action as being proportional to the risk posed.

Then you've got corrupt governments pandering to organisations like the AFL whilst denying people the right to see dying family members, again despite minimal risk and despite the clear and obvious illegality of stopping freedom of movement by citizens within their own country with no clearly defined reason whatsoever.

Amazing stuff.

Byrons Firen

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Imagine being locked up because you travelled from a state that doesn't have the virus to another state that doesn't have the virus within a country you are a legal citizen of.

Our civil rights and freedoms have been eroded, in most cases without so much as an explanation as to why, nor the need to actually justify each action as being proportional to the risk posed.

Then you've got corrupt governments pandering to organisations like the AFL whilst denying people the right to see dying family members, again despite minimal risk and despite the clear and obvious illegality of stopping freedom of movement by citizens within their own country with no clearly defined reason whatsoever.

Amazing stuff.
Yep life's a sh*t sandwich eat it or starve and the more bread ($) you've got the less sh*t you taste. Strange days are these.

mynameissilver

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
Fear has always been used to control a population. No more than now. The vast majority of people just get cold like symptoms . We don't hear about them though. Protect the elderly and vulnerable which hasn't been successfully done .
Let the rest of us take the necessary precautions and get on with it. Its not going away. Do we stay locked up forever?

Forzaport

May 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rather than focusing only on deaths right now, what WILL be interesting is looking back in years to come to see how much chronic illness had come from being infected with covid19 and the long term effect of that morbidity on the individual and the ongoing strain on the health system of chronic disease.
Maybe not much or on the other hand maybe a lot.
Yep, there will be many people with scarring on their lungs that could lead to some serious health issues down the track.

There’s also the issue of people missing out on other health services because of lockdowns, cancellation or surgeries, etc.

For example:

MaxPowa

Senior List
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The longer this close the clearer the data becomes that the people who are dying from this are mostly very old and/ or have significant comorbidity factors (CDC is a great source of data given the volume of infections the us has detected and good record keeping).

The unintended consequences of our singular obsession with corona virus are starting to hit home and I don't believe there will be any question that the death, suffering and hardship we are creating via our response will outweigh by orders of magnitude the deaths we would have prevented.

Top Bottom