Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were 12 positives tests reported in Victoria today and the state's rolling average is now down to 26.7.

Maybe someone should tell Nicola Spurrier and Stephen Marshall this. Victoria no longer poses the threat it did a month ago and letting a few footballers families in to see a game that the State Government lobbied to bring to SA is not the threat it was even a fortnight ago when Marshall was up the AFL's arse trying to get the Grand Final into Adelaide.

With these latest figures from Victoria there should be no reason why people with a legitimate reason, who quarantine in a designated place under strict security and meet the cost of that quarantine cannot be granted permission to enter SA for a specified period. No one is saying don't let people with compassionate reasons in but many are saying show a bit of flexibility as the situation in Victoria eases.

As predicted by several of you it is now a scandal...

One interesting comment from the Premier. He says his office gets requests for exemptions from all walks of life including Network SEVEN. I wonder who they wanted an exemption for and whether it was granted?

So its ok to fly 6000 people a week in from India and other hotspots and have them quarantine but this is not Ok.
Perhaps we should have asked the family members to go to India first and then fly in to Adelaide?

How lucky are we that Hitaf didn't go to a nightclub.

The system, like all systems, is designed to suit the powerful.
Show me a list of everyone who has been exempted in the last 6 months or GAGF Channel 7.

Whiny crow suckups with nothing better to do.
Just trying to drive more clickbait through your shitty media.

Last edited:
There were 12 positives tests reported in Victoria today and the state's rolling average is now down to 26.7.

Maybe someone should tell Nicola Spurrier and Stephen Marshall this. Victoria no longer poses the threat it did a month ago and letting a few footballers families in to see a game that the State Government lobbied to bring to SA is not the threat it was even a fortnight ago when Marshall was up the AFL's arse trying to get the Grand Final into Adelaide.

With these latest figures from Victoria there should be no reason why people with a legitimate reason, who quarantine in a designated place under strict security and meet the cost of that quarantine cannot be granted permission to enter SA for a specified period. No one is saying don't let people with compassionate reasons in but many are saying show a bit of flexibility as the situation in Victoria eases.

As predicted by several of you it is now a scandal...

One interesting comment from the Premier. He says his office gets requests for exemptions from all walks of life including Network SEVEN. I wonder who they wanted an exemption for and whether it was granted?

The NT has allowed this. I guess the issue with SA is given the volume of people who would want to come from Victoria to South Australia this would quickly overwhelm secured quarantine facilities and resources that are needed for International arrivals.

Given the Victorian active case numbers, and new case number trajectories we are likely only weeks away from home-quarantine arrangements being allowed.

So its ok to fly 6000 people a week in from India and other hotspots and have them quarantine but this is not Ok.

How lucky are we that Hitaf didn't go to a nightclub.

The system, like all systems, is designed to suit the powerful.
Show me a list of everyone who has been exempted in the last 6 months of GAGF Channel 7.

Whiny crow suckups with nothing better to do.
Just trying to drive more clickbait through your shitty media.

Yes I would like to see that list. People who think there are no exceptions would be kidding themselves. The poor nameless sod who Nicola and Steve want to scapegoat probably mis filed the applications into the Marshall's Mates box and from there they were rubber stamped.

Lol very first item on Seven News: Investigation into the PORT ADELAIDE covid SCANDAL which is now under a TOP LEVEL investigation.

Mike Smithson has certainly doubled down on the story, with his narrative focussed solely on the Port Adelaide Football Club.

His attack on Hitaf Rasheed has intensified as does his insistence on calling her a former Port Adelaide employee and claiming she is the centre of the scandal, despite clear evidence from both the government and others that she did absolutely nothing wrong and followed correct procedures.

In SA Parliament today it was confirmed by the Minister for Health that the first the SA Government knew of the exemptions was when the Premier was ambushed at a press conference early yesterday and asked a direct question about it by....Channel 7s Mike Smithson. Someone should ask this guy who leaked the story to him and why.

The AFL has to do something about the fact that a senior employee of their major media partners is clearly promoting an anti-Port Adelaide narrative.

In other news the Premier has made a commitment that the findings of the Dept. of Premier and Cabinet inquiry into the botched processes within SA Health that led to the exemptions to PAFC players will be publicly released. That is likely to lead to the identification and naming of the SA Official who provided the exemption.

BTW - the CEO of the Department of Premier and Cabinet which is conducting the Inquiry is Jim McDowell - a former member of the Adelaide Crows Board.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just laughed at the sloppy, unprofessional pretence of journalistic integrity.
Davies is correct - we have bigger fish to fry.
We've stated our position with absolute clarity.
We move on, and dismiss the white noise.

Mike Smithson has certainly doubled down on the story, with his narrative focussed solely on the Port Adelaide Football Club.

His attack on Hitaf Rasheed has intensified as does his insistence on calling her a former Port Adelaide employee and claiming she is the centre of the scandal, despite clear evidence from both the government and others that she did absolutely nothing wrong and followed correct procedures.

In SA Parliament today it was confirmed by the Minister for Health that the first the SA Government knew of the exemptions was when the Premier was ambushed at a press conference early yesterday and asked a direct question about it by....Channel 7s Mike Smithson. Someone should ask this guy who leaked the story to him and why.

The AFL has to do something about the fact that a senior employee of their major media partners is clearly promoting an anti-Port Adelaide narrative.

In other news the Premier has made a commitment that the findings of the Dept. of Premier and Cabinet inquiry into the botched processes within SA Health that led to the exemptions to PAFC players will be publicly released. That is likely to lead to the identification and naming of the SA Official who provided the exemption.

BTW - the CEO of the Department of Premier and Cabinet which is conducting the Inquiry is Jim McDowell - a former member of the Adelaide Crows Board.
Reassuring to hear it will be a ‘fair’ enquiry.

The thing about today's return is that there is not one locally acquired case out side of Victoria. As far as I can see this has been the case for the past 3-4 days. Today Australia had only 16 positive tests for the entire nation and 4 of them were fly ins. This is significant and shows that the virus can be contained or even eliminated. This is the best daily result since June 12.

1600946151600.png

Things are not looking good in parts of Europe. I reckon Johnson is close to declaring a nation wide lock down in the UK. Most European countries tried to ease restrictions and keep their economy going while attempting to control the virus and it has not worked.

As has been clearly shown in Victoria you cannot take a 'balanced' approach you either lock down and get the infection levels down to manageable levels or you live with high rates of infection. The really tough call, if you go with the first option is not to lift the restrictions too quickly. A vaccine is of course the other option but we do not have that yet.

Living conditions in parts of Europe probably do not help. As we have seen with the towers in Melbourne high density living in which the masses live on top of each other does not help in limiting the spread. There is also a suggestion that in some countries a drop off in testing and poor contact tracing has exacerbated the situation. I heard an expert on the BBC suggest that lower numbers in Italy may be due to fewer tests being conducted.

If there is one outcome from all this I hope they blow up those bloody towers in Melbourne and build some low density accommodation for immigrants on the outskirts of Melbourne. These people should be living like Australians not like caged animals. The Commonwealth has spent 86 billion thus far and couple of billion more for some long term gain isn't going to make much difference to the Federal coffers. Maybe a better solution is to move immigrant housing to regional areas as there are apparently 45,000 jobs going begging in regional Australia. It might also mean creating financial incentives for industry to move out of the larger cities but what the heck, this pandemic has shown the danger of having too much of the nation's economy concentrated in Sydney and Melbourne.

Last edited:
Things are not looking good in parts of Europe. I reckon Johnson is close to declaring a nation wide lock down in the UK. Most European countries tried to ease restrictions and keep their economy going while attempting to control the virus and it has not worked.

As has been clearly shown in Victoria you cannot take a 'balanced' approach you either lock down and get the infection levels down to manageable levels or you live with high rates of infection. The really tough call, if you go with the first option is not to lift the restrictions too quickly. A vaccine is of course the other option but we do not have that yet.

Living conditions in parts of Europe probably do not help. As we have seen with the towers in Melbourne high density living in which the masses live on top of each other does not help in limiting the spread. There is also a suggestion that in some countries a drop off in testing and poor contact tracing has exacerbated the situation. I heard an expert on the BBC suggest that lower numbers in Italy may be due to fewer tests being conducted.

If there is one outcome from all this I hope they blow up those bloody towers in Melbourne and build some low density accommodation for immigrants on the outskirts of Melbourne. These people should be living like Australians not like caged animals. The Commonwealth has spent 86 billion thus far and couple of billion more for some long term gain isn't going to make much difference to the Federal coffers. Maybe a better solution is to move immigrant housing to regional areas as there are apparently 45,000 jobs going begging in regional Australia. It might also mean creating financial incentives for industry to move out of the larger cities but what the heck, this pandemic has shown the danger of having too much of the nation's economy concentrated in Sydney and Melbourne.

Scomo and co can’t get past fossil fuels let alone think creatively about immigrant housing. They will get it back to normal ASAP exactly how it was.

Firstly, it isn't 'immigrant' housing, it's public housing. Plenty of xth generation Australians housed in public housing. Second, do you reckon it's better to have these people, who have a disproportionately high rate of disability, complex health probs, old age etc 50ks out of the city where there are no services, no public transport and no potential employment? Recipe for absolute disaster.

Firstly, it isn't 'immigrant' housing, it's public housing. Plenty of xth generation Australians housed in public housing. Second, do you reckon it's better to have these people, who have a disproportionately high rate of disability, complex health probs, old age etc 50ks out of the city where there are no services, no public transport and no potential employment? Recipe for absolute disaster.

So there are no immigrants housed in the towers ? None of what you post means you have to live in towers. If there is no infrastructure you build it. In London they are demolishing towers because of the social problems associated with them why shouldn't a country like Australia with plenty of available space do the same?

People with your attitude are part of the problem. You have no vision whatsoever and base you views on what exists and not what should exist. Sure there are people living in difficult situations in these towers but that does not mean the towers should exist. I cannot speak for Melbourne but once when immigration was much at higher levels in post war Adelaide the State built and controlled streets full of Trust Houses. These were not big and they were not on the door step of the CBD but they did have back yards for kids to play in. Nowadays we are knocking these houses over to build get rich quick town houses.

These days I live 40km out of the CBD and have no problem getting a train into Adelaide or driving into town on the expressway and I do not see why people living in State sponsored housing should not do the same. All the problems you raise are possibly legitimate and reasonable but they can be overcome and the alternative has to be better than housing people in towers.

Last edited:
So there are no immigrants housed in the towers ? None of what you post means you have to live in towers. If there is no infrastructure you build it. In London they are demolishing towers because of the social problems associated with them why shouldn't a country like Australia with plenty of available space do the same?
Yeah there are some immigrants in the towers. You called it 'immigrant housing'. It's just 'housing'. I didn't say you have to live in towers, just that knocking them down to shunt the most disadvantaged in society out to the urban fringe is a s**t house idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back