Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Victorian Health Minister Kenny Mikakos has announced that Victoria's state of emergency has been extended to June 21. Given the amount of virus that keeps cropping up in Melbourne I am surprised it isn't extended well beyond that date.

'Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it,' Ms Mikakos said.

If that is the case why allow people to do it?

A Study Out of Thin Air
Misinformation is bad. Misinformation in medicine is worse. Misinformation from a prestigious medical journal is the worst. Herein is a detailed look at the controversial Lancet study that resulted in the World Health Organization ending worldwide clinical trials on hydroxychloroquine in order to focus on patented therapeutics....Read more

Covid-19 study on hydroxychloroquine use questioned by 120 researchers and medical professionals
More than 120 researchers and medical professionals from around the world have written an open letter to the editor of the Lancet raising serious concerns about a large and widely publicised global study that prompted the World Health Organisation to halt several Covid-19 clinical trials.

On Thursday Guardian Australia revealed that the Australian data in the study, published last week, did not reconcile with health department records or databases... Read more

Victoria. A couple of clusters, a lot of people in quarantine staying in Melbourne a few from there. Some community spread but doing everything right as far as tracing and testing go and another 3 weeks of emergency measures along with showing they willing to put restrictions back in place if people are not doing the right thing.
End of June we should be ok for opening borders without it being political suicide.

If that is the case why allow people to do it?
There's only so much goodwill people have towards politicians and the removal of liberties, even if necessary. Most people will in this situation not do things regardless of it being lawful to do if it's recommended not to. Keeping the public onside in case of a second wave and needing to lock down again would be a consideration for all states. If they can avoid burning through that goodwill now they will. Hopefully enough people aren't idiots across the country with restrictions easing to require them to be introduced again.

Victoria. A couple of clusters, a lot of people in quarantine staying in Melbourne a few from there. Some community spread but doing everything right as far as tracing and testing go and another 3 weeks of emergency measures along with showing they willing to put restrictions back in place if people are not doing the right thing.
End of June we should be ok for opening borders without it being political suicide.

You reckon? 300 positives tests in a month is 300 positives tests whether they are doing everything right or not. Victoria's figures are on par with their figures mid April and you would not have been wanting to roll back the border restrictions in a month back then.

I have no problem with the NT, WA or even Qld, they could roll back the borders tomorrow on those States but Victoria has a way to go and I doubt they are going to get there in three weeks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is 1,816,897 infections and 105,557 deaths when you can get together and watch a space launch?

View attachment 884573

They might as well open up sport in the US with crowds.
Also while I agree with reasons behind the protests (the one about the cop killing people) in the USA, I still worry that large gatherings during a pandemic isn't going to help wipe this virus off the planet.

Also while I agree with reasons behind the protests (the one about the cop killing people) in the USA, I still worry that large gatherings during a pandemic isn't going to help wipe this virus off the planet.

I think the US public have been living with death and infection for that long they no longer care.

At the end of the day Victoria and NSW will do what they wanna do and it'll be up to SA and the rest to decide how long they can (afford to) take the hit of closed borders
SA's balance of trade effectively means we lose very little from closed borders within Australia (though of course it isn't ideal), NSW and Victoria on the other hand!!

The China trade would be our biggest loss, and that doesn't particularly need open borders per se.

SA's balance of trade effectively means we lose very little from closed borders within Australia (though of course it isn't ideal), NSW and Victoria on the other hand!!

The China trade would be our biggest loss, and that doesn't particularly need open borders per se.

Yep. There's a reason that NSW and Victoria have suddenly realised that the smaller states actually exist.

I'd expect a spike in Covid-19 numbers in the cities rioting in 2 - 3 weeks. Combine people crowding in to view a Space launch and states opening up again whilst it's not under control and it's clear the US is populated by idiots across all parties and races who fail to put any priority on their own and everyone else's health. We aren't perfect here in Australia, but Christ they are next level lunacy over there.

I'd expect a spike in Covid-19 numbers in the cities rioting in 2 - 3 weeks. Combine people crowding in to view a Space launch and states opening up again whilst it's not under control and it's clear the US is populated by idiots across all parties and races who fail to put any priority on their own and everyone else's health. We aren't perfect here in Australia, but Christ they are next level lunacy over there.

Mexico should build a wall and make USA pay for it.

Compare the pair

Americans are just a selfish lot that put thier percieved rights above the safety of others.

I first encountered Americans when they came to Woomera to start Nurrungar. The Apollo project was still in full swing, so the Yanks were on pretty good terms with themselves, despite the quagmire of Vietnam. We didn't get a full appreciation of all the anti-war or Moratorium protests in Woomera, being a 'closed town' and not having any television at the time.

The American kids at school were incredibly patriotic to the point of indoctrination, but we put this down to them being the children of USAF personnel for the most part. With the rocket range activity fizzling out the Yanks became the majority of the population after a while and resentment among the natives locals began to grow - blokes would dread their partners getting a job at "the site", as Nurrungar became known, because they'd often get swept off their feet by some flashy Yank bastard - I even had a woman in the flat next to mine who'd split with her husband, that used to (noisily) entertain young black American gentlemen at all hours of the day and night!

Things like Watergate, the fall of Saigon, the Tehran embassy siege, etc should've blunted their swagger, but they were still confident that they were "The Greatest Democracy in the World". They always threw a great party on the Fourth of July though, so I'll give them credit for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back