Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting comparison..read the comments.

The French Open starts in 2 weeks time. US Open did a great job with their bubble but helped NYC are finally on top of things. NYC are still recording about 200-250 cases a day and 5-8 deaths a day for the last 6 weeks or so.

France is going thru a second wave. 31/8 cases were 281k, midnight 13/9 they are 381k. 100k cases in 13 days but deaths have only gone from 30,635 to 30,916 but unfortunately they are coming in a second wave. Greater Paris is about 20% of those new cases. The Tour de France the last couple of stages over the weekend have had virtually nobody at the finish the last kilometre or so, like earlier in the Tour.

There was nobody at the tennis in NYC and same will happen at French Open.

Queensland’s chief health officer admits death threats and online trolling have taken “an enormous toll” on her but she will maintain strict quarantine measures to protect the state from COVID-19.

The state recorded no new cases in the 24 hours to 9am on Monday, and there are only 30 active cases.

Dr Jeanette Young took the weekend off work and “went for a long walk” after becoming a victim of online trolling and death threats.

The threats followed her decision to not allow a Canberra woman to leave quarantine to go to her father’s funeral in Brisbane on Thursday. The woman was allowed a private viewing of the body after the funeral.

“It has taken an enormous toll on me, but then this has taken an enormous toll on nearly every single person in our community,” Dr Young said on Monday.

“Every single person in our community in Queensland has had to give up an awful lot and we can’t see a clear end to this so we’re going to all have to work this through together and work out how we can manage this as we go forward.”

Dr Young’s home is being guarded by police after the threats, which she said makes her feel safer doing her job.

Detective Superintendent Tony Fleming is confident that officers have taken neccessary, precautious steps to protect her.

Israel is the first country have a nationwide 2nd lock down.

Their cases have increased from 100k to 156k and deaths 800 to 1,100 in about 3 weeks. At end of May they were seen as one of the most successful country only 15k cases and 200 deaths.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The point is they probably weren't dying that particular week without having corona

I'm not gonna kick off that whole debate but honestly, single digit figures of elderly people dying isnt news. Never has been, never will be.
The idea that it can be reduced to 0 on any given day just isn't reality.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rather than focusing only on deaths right now, what WILL be interesting is looking back in years to come to see how much chronic illness had come from being infected with covid19 and the long term effect of that morbidity on the individual and the ongoing strain on the health system of chronic disease.
Maybe not much or on the other hand maybe a lot.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok, so hopefully those up to date with all the comings and goings of border restrictions might be able to help me out here.

If we (SA) open our borders to NSW & the ACT in the next few days, and QLD still has a closed border with NSW, then do we by extension become closed to QLD too?

Just trying to find out if this decision would have any impact on finals at Adelaide Oval

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Rather than focusing only on deaths right now, what WILL be interesting is looking back in years to come to see how much chronic illness had come from being infected with covid19 and the long term effect of that morbidity on the individual and the ongoing strain on the health system of chronic disease.
Maybe not much or on the other hand maybe a lot.

Could say the same thing about any potential long term side effects that arise from any covid vaccine.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Could say the same thing about any potential long term side effects that arise from any covid vaccine.
Possibly but there seem to be arising a fair few long term issues from covid19. My point is that mortality is not the whole story, morbidity could be even worse.
Anyway as I said we won’t understand the ramifications yet or whether they are a concern or a storm in a tea cup.

Must say too that the ramping at Adelaide hospitals is a concern, especially as our flu rates are well
down and no covid19 cases here.

Last edited:

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok, so hopefully those up to date with all the comings and goings of border restrictions might be able to help me out here.

If we (SA) open our borders to NSW & the ACT in the next few days, and QLD still has a closed border with NSW, then do we by extension become closed to QLD too?

Just trying to find out if this decision would have any impact on finals at Adelaide Oval

It will put a lot of pressure on current arrangements for sure, either Qld has to admit that the risk from NSW is low and drop their border, or they then have to close off to SA (which again would be ridiculous).

Third way is when they ask every person coming from SA if they have been anywhere else in the last two weeks (this is already done) they'll forbid you from entering if you are from NSW or ACT. If you don't have SA ID (already checked at the moment) they may ask you to prove you have not been in NSW during the last two weeks. I think the third way is most likely.

QLD will have to choose between opening their border to NSW/ACT or closing their border to SA. Based on QLD CHO's performance to date, I give it 50/50.

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
QLD will have to choose between opening their border to NSW/ACT or closing their border to SA. Based on QLD CHO's performance to date, I give it 50/50.

There is a third option as I have articulated which will allow them to do both and I think is most likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a third option as I have articulated which will allow them to do both and I think is most likely.

There are many options. Your third option is too rational.

Having slept on it, the most consistent outcome if the SA gov allows quarantine-free travel from NSW/ACT is for the QLD CHO to declare all of SA a hot spot.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

There is a lot to admire in Graham Turner as he is a self made man who who started out by running package tours for ex pat Aussies in an old red London Bus out of the UK. This must be hitting him and his business really hard. In my local shopping centre the only stores that remain closed are a couple of Bank Branches and Flight Centre. It is not hard to see why Graham Turner would want the Queensland borders open. His comments about 'learning to live with the virus' need to be qualified though. You can live with the small numbers in NSW but the numbers as experienced in Victoria over the past month need remedial action.

Queensland CHO Jeanette Young has received death threats and her home is under police surveillance. Jeanette Young is the key figure in opening the Queensland border just as Nicola Spurrier is the key figure in the South Australian decision.

There is to be a meeting of the National Cabinet on Friday where doubtless border closures will be high on the agenda.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are many options. Your third option is too rational.

Having slept on it, the most consistent outcome if the SA gov allows quarantine-free travel from NSW/ACT is for the QLD CHO to declare all of SA a hot spot.

If that were to happen what would be the ramifications for our finals?

Wouldn't it mean we'd have to 'hub' once again in QLD for the duration of the finals? If they do close the borders to SA on the back of us opening up with NSW & the ACT wouldn't that mean we'd need to do the 14days quarantine in QLD before we can play there? If that were to happen then we wouldn't even get our first final here as there would be no possible way of playing here then relocating to QLD to then spend 14 days in isolation before playing again. The AFL haven't and won't extend the season any longer so we'd be off to QLD for every finals game?

Am I reading this right?

It would be soooo bad to end up not having any finals at Adelaide Oval despite being basically Covid free and having spent every week of this season on top.

If that were to happen what would be the ramifications for our finals?

Wouldn't it mean we'd have to 'hub' once again in QLD for the duration of the finals? If they do close the borders to SA on the back of us opening up with NSW & the ACT wouldn't that mean we'd need to do the 14days quarantine in QLD before we can play there? If that were to happen then we wouldn't even get our first final here as there would be no possible way of playing here then relocating to QLD to then spend 14 days in isolation before playing again. The AFL haven't and won't extend the season any longer so we'd be off to QLD for every finals game?

Am I reading this right?

It would be soooo bad to end up not having any finals at Adelaide Oval despite being basically Covid free and having spent every week of this season on top.

It's so ridiculous that I seriously doubt SA will be closed to QLD. As it is, we should have 2 home finals anyway and if we play off in the GF enough time should have passed for it to be an non-issue. If it is an issue, it will be up to the AFL to find a workable solution. I'm sure QLD will come to the party if they intend on hosting the GF.

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One would hope there has been some level of consultation between the SA and Qld governments on what an SA reopening to ACT and/ or NSW would mean given Qld and SA have been fully reintegrated for two months and suddenly putting a border in place will be very disruptive, not just to the AFL. Also, let's not forget the NT...

Given the track records of the States though I do worry... One thing this whole experience has shown is that States are archaic and irrelevant and premiers (in general) cannot be trusted. While I am sentimentally attached to SA - we are also the most over governed populace per capita in the world, get rid of States as an administrative entity, beef up regional super councils and bring Australia back to a more efficient and effective two tier government system.

MaxPowa

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ACT only and have to travel by air (and prove you haven't been in NSW I am assuming). No decision on NSW for another 10-11 days. Source crowtiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back