Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameissilver

All Australian
Aug 10, 2017
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You may be living in fear but over here in SA I am living a pretty normal existence and I do not feel 'locked up'. I go to the pub, sit at the bar, go to the shopping centre without a face mask, go to the footy, in fact I am pretty secure in the fact that SA is COVID free and the person sitting next to me is not infected. That situation does not exist because South Australia did nothing and 'decided to live with it'. Quite the opposite, we locked down, closed borders quarantined essential travellers and are now enjoying the benefits.

Your opinion, like mine, is colored by the State we live in.
I get your point. I'm certainly not living in fear. We can do what we want up here too within reason. Victoria stuffed it.
Most other states have handled it pretty well. But elimination will be highly unlikely so we will have to learn to live with it. That's a fact. So many people have had this virus and don't even realise it. Why it barely affects some is the real mystery.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
68 days since we've recorded a case in the ACT, bit I still can't go anywhere, being lumped in with NSW. The exception is now SA, but only if I fly. Given Qantas has three flights a week at $1200 a pop, and Virgin is looking at reinstating services "in due course", my initial euphoria about being able to get to one of our finals was premature :(.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fear has always been used to control a population. No more than now. The vast majority of people just get cold like symptoms . We don't hear about them though. Protect the elderly and vulnerable which hasn't been successfully done .
Let the rest of us take the necessary precautions and get on with it. Its not going away. Do we stay locked up forever?
No we don’t stay locked up forever but in the coming months we have to live a little differently, follow some advice.
Life feels pretty normal in South Australia.
We aren’t living in fear, just being sensible.
A lot of the ones who are really living in fear are those that fear this is a government or other nefarious people plot to control them and remove their civil liberties permanently.

Protecting the elderly is easier said than done with health care workers from the general community working in them.
It is a difficult situation for governments.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
68 days since we've recorded a case in the ACT, bit I still can't go anywhere, being lumped in with NSW. The exception is now SA, but only if I fly. Given Qantas has three flights a week at $1200 a pop, and Virgin is looking at reinstating services "in due course", my initial euphoria about being able to get to one of our finals was premature :(.

At least you've got the option. If I go from Tassie, with no cases, to SA, with no cases, that's fine. But when I want to come back I get the privilege of two weeks in a hotel at my own expense.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
At least you've got the option. If I go from Tassie, with no cases, to SA, with no cases, that's fine. But when I want to come back I get the privilege of two weeks in a hotel at my own expense.

You have my sympathy. South Australia has possibly handled the situation better than most others. I cannot see why SA can have two way border travel with all States except Victoria and NSW yet still record close to zero local cases while other States see a need to quarantine everyone coming in. Is the South Australian contact tracing superior to other States or is it just the fear that Victorians will somehow filter through?

1600291746420.png

If South Australia, which has a common border with Victoria and NSW can do the above why not WA and Tassie?

The Federation system worked well during the shut down phase when all the leaders put politics aside and were on the same page. The opening up phase has not worked nearly as well with each State doing it's own thing and the Federal Government powerless to stop them.

It has reached the stage where border closures except Victoria have to be relaxed. There is no reason that two way travel between SA, WA, Tas, NT, ACT and Queensland should require quarantine.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You have my sympathy. South Australia has possibly handled the situation better than most others. I cannot see why SA can have two way border travel with all States except Victoria and NSW yet still record close to zero local cases while other States see a need to quarantine everyone coming in. Is the South Australian contact tracing superior to other States or is it just the fear that Victorians will somehow filter through?

View attachment 963298

If South Australia, which has a common border with Victoria and NSW can do the above why not WA and Tassie?

The Federation system worked well during the shut down phase when all the leaders put politics aside and were on the same page. The opening up phase has not worked nearly as well with each State doing it's own thing and the Federal Government powerless to stop them.

It has reached the stage where border closures except Victoria have to be relaxed. There is no reason that two way travel between SA, WA, Tas, NT, ACT and Queensland should require quarantine.

The argument from the premier here is SA's "porous" border with Vic. Never mind the fact that it hasn't actually resulted in cases.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The Victorian Opposition has launched a bid to kick Premier Daniel Andrews out of office over his handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien will introduce a motion of no confidence in Mr Andrews in parliament on Thursday.
The motion will be tabled on Thursday with the vote to be put to Lower House MPs next month.
Mr O’Brien said the Premier had lost the support of Victorians.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tasmania I'm not sure, WA are being pricks about borders to safe areas as an election is due in the next 6 months. There's been zero community transmissions from the handful of Victorians that have snuck into SA, so there's no need to lock out SA / WA travel. I mean open the border to SA and they can still check licenses / other documentation of those coming in to further make it almost impossible for Victorians to sneak through all of SA and into WA.

This Sikora chap is on the money, shame he’s no longer at the WHO.

There are no perfect right or wrong answers. Its always a balance call.

Different measures produced different economic results and same measures produced different economic results across nations.

NZ announced their 2nd quarter GDP number today. That's why no NZ 2nd quarter figures in graphs below.

Largest quarterly fall in New Zealand economy on record
Economic activity, as measured by gross domestic product (GDP), was down 12.2 percent in the June 2020 quarter. This is the largest quarterly decline in GDP on record. On an annual basis, GDP declined 2.0 percent over the year ended June 2020.

Here are some other OECD nation's, and a few others 2nd Quarter figures. To the right of Oz's -7.0% is Indonesia -6.9%, G20 -6.9%, Russia -3.2% and South Korea -3.2%

1600334233330.png

India, UK, Mexico, SAF, France, Italy, Euro 19, Can, Turk, OECD, Braz, Ger, USA, Jap, Aus, G20, IDN Rus SKor

Euro 19 = The euro area (also known as the eurozone) consists of 19 countries that use the Euro: Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

25 of the other 26 nations in the OECD (NZ 2nd quarter figures not graphed yet) + Argentina, China, Euro 19, OECD Euro, OECD average and G7

1600337162478.png

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are no perfect right or wrong answers. Its always a balance call.

Different measures produced different economic results and same measures produced different economic results across nations.

NZ announced their 2nd quarter GDP number today. That's why no NZ 2nd quarter figures in graphs below.

Largest quarterly fall in New Zealand economy on record
Economic activity, as measured by gross domestic product (GDP), was down 12.2 percent in the June 2020 quarter. This is the largest quarterly decline in GDP on record. On an annual basis, GDP declined 2.0 percent over the year ended June 2020.

Here are some other OECD nation's, and a few others 2nd Quarter figures. To the right of Oz's -7.0% is Indonesia -6.9%, G20 -6.9%, Russia -3.2% and South Korea -3.2%

View attachment 963868

India, UK, Mexico, SAF, France, Italy, Euro 19, Can, Turk, OECD, Braz, Ger, USA, Jap, Aus, G20, IDN Rus SKor

Euro 19 = The euro area (also known as the eurozone) consists of 19 countries that use the Euro: Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland, Greece, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

25 of the other 26 nations in the OECD (NZ 2nd quarter figures not graphed yet) + Argentina, China, Euro 19, OECD Euro, OECD average and G7

View attachment 963916
The world as we know it is in rainbow coloured freefall

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The media this morning was full of 'Victoria is doing better than expected so the restrictions could be lifted earlier than planned'.

Just to remind everyone that it is not that simple Victoria's figures today are back up to 45. I know it is easy sit back in COVID free South Australia and be critical when you do not have to live with restrictions but part of the problem back in June was Andrews lifting Stage 3 restrictions too quickly. Victoria is doing well but Daniel Andrews should stick to his roadmap.

Disappointing to see today's increase but Victorians are still doing well.

This hasn’t really been highlighted but the SA gov has lowered their no community transmission requirement to 14 days from the previous 28 days.

The bulk of NSW cases are returned travellers and close contacts of confirmed cases with unknown cases becoming rarer but still appearing from time to time. This means that from a pure numbers perspective, NSW is far more likely to meet the SA’s community case threshold but it can still be all undone by a single case.

It looks like QLD has decided Canberra is no longer a hot spot. I’d expect the dominos to keep falling, at least as far as NSW/ACT is concerned. Take the hint WA & TAS!

We’re already at the point where locking out regional Victoria is overkill so hopefully sanity will continue to prevail sooner rather than later.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well worth a read.

Back in March I suggested anyone under 50 could continue to work and those older than 50 work from home where possible, with a lowering of the pension age to 60. I don't see any evidence yet to convince me otherwise.

Morrison to speak at 1:00pm Adelaide time.

Last edited:
The media this morning was full of 'Victoria is doing better than expected so the restrictions could be lifted earlier than planned'.

Just to remind everyone that it is not that simple Victoria's figures today are back up to 45. I know it is easy sit back in COVID free South Australia and be critical when you do not have to live with restrictions but part of the problem back in June was Andrews lifting Stage 3 restrictions too quickly. Victoria is doing well but Daniel Andrews should stick to his roadmap.

Disappointing to see today's increase but Victorians are still doing well.
Of the 45, 16 are due to a recent outbreak in single aged care facility. The outbreak is pretty much under control and all close contacts have been followed up and are in isolation - so that's good news.

Andrews is standing firm on the roadmap despite the pressure, so good on him. Look at Europe - it's being hit by a second wave partly because restrictions were lifted early (also more testing is being done).

Andrews approval rating is still high, sitting at 70% according to a recent poll even though Labor's margin over the the Libs has taken a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back