Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Another day without a positive case in the West. If they have another COVID free day tomorrow, and I hope they do, I will be amazed. So far it looks like this guy was infected with the UK variant, then while contagious he roamed around Perth for 2 or 3 days but did not infect anyone. TeeKray and our West Australian mates will go ballistic if it turns out this was a false positive of some sort. The thing is COVID keeps on kicking up anomalies, in New Zealand the woman with the UK variant tested negative at least twice while in quarantine then tested positive after she was released. During the Victorian lock down there were several cases where people tested negative in Victoria flew to Adelaide where they tested positive.

Hopefully this guy has not infected anyone but I do feel sorry for those who will have suffered due to a lock down that was possibly not needed.

Well I'd suggest we look at smoking and Alcohol.

Alcohol is one of the biggest cause of domestic violence in society

If we just blanket ban alcohol well society will be much better for it.

Smoking is a non value added activity that causes many terminal illnesses, it's a useless addition to society. Let's enforce a complete ban of that also.

I'm with Andre, if your BMI is over 30, the government should step in and put you on a clean green diet and FORCE you to exercise every day until you are down to 20.

You can chastise me all you want. I had a very bad reaction to a vaccine and therefore have extreme reluctance to future vaccines. People can joke but I know people who have had their children suffer from Vaccines with ongoing medical issues, so to some it may be an easy decision to get a jab as there has been no consequences, but others where they have been affected or their children effected there is reluctance.

If you had the vaccine for any illness your all good, don't worry about those who don't want them or reluctant, they are the ones who will suffer.
If you or your child ever become particularly susceptible to death by Covid (for whatever reason), you will NEED people to get the vaccine in order to keep you alive if you can’t have it yourself due to the reaction.

Should they refuse something relatively harmless to them and effectively put you or your child in grave danger?

Smoking is a non value added activity that causes many terminal illnesses, it's a useless addition to society. Let's enforce a complete ban of that also.

I'm with Andre, if your BMI is over 30, the government should step in and put you on a clean green diet and FORCE you to exercise every day until you are down to 20.

You can chastise me all you want. I had a very bad reaction to a vaccine and therefore have extreme reluctance to future vaccines. People can joke but I know people who have had their children suffer from Vaccines with ongoing medical issues, so to some it may be an easy decision to get a jab as there has been no consequences, but others where they have been affected or their children effected there is reluctance.

If you had the vaccine for any illness your all good, don't worry about those who don't want them or reluctant, they are the ones who will suffer.

You know why alcohol was still readily available during lockdowns Riccardo?

People working in the welfare sector including domestic violence counsellors spent hours lobbying each state government and the federal government for it to be available.

Their research told them that people locked in a confined space WITHOUT alcohol were far more likely to be violent than with it. Ms D was involved in a lot of those calls and was at first stunned but then after it was explained understood their position.

You know why alcohol was still readily available during lockdowns Riccardo?

People working in the welfare sector including domestic violence counsellors spent hours lobbying each state government and the federal government for it to be available.

Their research told them that people locked in a confined space WITHOUT alcohol were far more likely to be violent than with it. Ms D was involved in a lot of those calls and was at first stunned but then after it was explained understood their position.

Also I seem to remember an alcohol ban being attempted in some other country in the 1920s and it not going particularly well.

Yeah sure Rick, what society needs is to massively ramp up the war on drugs, can’t see any potential flaws in that idea.

Lol this bit in particular. :drunk:

If you or your child ever become particularly susceptible to death by Covid (for whatever reason), you will NEED people to get the vaccine in order to keep you alive if you can’t have it yourself due to the reaction.

Should they refuse something relatively harmless to them and effectively put you or your child in grave danger?

Isn't that on an assumption that any covid vaccine limits or reduces likelihood of transmission? Last I checked the powers at be have no idea as to how transmission is affected as a result of the vaccine (if at all), and thus this reasoning has been a driving force by many saying that even with a vaccine, we are still going to live in a heavily restricted society.

Isn't that on an assumption that any covid vaccine limits or reduces likelihood of transmission? Last I checked the powers at be have no idea as to how transmission is affected as a result of the vaccine (if at all), and thus this reasoning has been a driving force by many saying that even with a vaccine, we are still going to live in a heavily restricted society.

Vaccines aren’t new, these are a new kind, but we have a century of expertise in reasoning etc.

Also my point was a hypothetical, so let’s use a hypothetical vaccine that works in the scenario rather than head down the black hole of ‘what if’.

Prohibition doesn't work. That's been established. Smoking is on the decline, what needs to be done is alcohol treated the same way. Not glorified in Australian culture if you get pissed. Bump the prices up, along with penalties for trying to sell unlicensed booze.

As noted alcohol is a major contributor to domestic violence (also violence at venues etc.). It doesn't turn 'nice guys/girls' into arseholes, but it takes the inhibitions off them to act out for much less cause. This is not to give any offenders an excuse for it, it's abhorrent, but if alcohol consumption was reduced significantly domestic violence (and sexual assaults) would drop significantly.

Forced exercise wouldn't work (not to mention the Rights trampled on there), but penalties for the effects (obesity) would work well enough. Good luck finding a politician in Australia with the guts to say they'd slap a medicare surcharge of 1 - 2% on anyone over 25% body fat for men, 30% for women, given the numbers overweight it'd be electoral suicide (and they'd be penalising half their own mates, whichever party you're talking about).

When did Pete Evans and Craig Kelly join this forum?
Some people thrive on taking the opposite point of view. Some people are just stupid.

Isn't saying that because you had an adverse reaction to a prior vaccine so you wont get them anymore like saying, I was in a car accident and copped massive whiplash from my seat-belt so I'm not going to wear it anymore? Its been proven the seat-belts save lives but because I wish to avoid the adverse whiplash ill forego and just shoot out the windshield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't saying that because you had an adverse reaction to a prior vaccine so you wont get them anymore like saying, I was in a car accident and copped massive whiplash from my seat-belt so I'm not going to wear it anymore? Its been proven the seat-belts save lives but because I wish to avoid the adverse whiplash ill forego and just shoot out the windshield.
But at least it was your choice to shoot out the windshield!

Not to mention that seat belt injuries are common while the majority of claimed “adverse reactions” to vaccines are overreactions, correlation/causality fallacies or outright lies.

Vaccines aren’t new, these are a new kind, but we have a century of expertise in reasoning etc.

Also my point was a hypothetical, so let’s use a hypothetical vaccine that works in the scenario rather than head down the black hole of ‘what if’.

Given that the vaccine is for an mRNA virus, the technology used for this particular vaccine is different to other vaccines on the market, and dare I say that is why there is a group of people who have been vaccinated previously but are hesitant to take this particular type of vaccine.

Given the differences in the make-up of this vaccine in particular, to look at the history of past vaccines in terms of reducing transmission and extrapolate that to this covid vaccine for a type of virus (mRNA) that is thr first of its kind, that in essence is a very apples to oranges comparison imo.

If we were to however analyse other attempts at mRNA vaccines over the last 40 years or so, you'll notice that none of them got off the ground because of significant reactions to the animals being used in the trials.

To assume either way at this point would be to picking a side so to speak based on belief rather than actuality.

Given that the vaccine is for an mRNA virus, the technology used for this particular vaccine is different to other vaccines on the market, and dare I say that is why there is a group of people who have been vaccinated previously but are hesitant to take this particular type of vaccine.

Given the differences in the make-up of this vaccine in particular, to look at the history of past vaccines in terms of reducing transmission and extrapolate that to this covid vaccine for a type of virus (mRNA) that is thr first of its kind, that in essence is a very apples to oranges comparison imo.

If we were to however analyse other attempts at mRNA vaccines over the last 40 years or so, you'll notice that none of them got off the ground because of significant reactions to the animals being used in the trials.

To assume either way at this point would be to picking a side so to speak based on belief rather than actuality.
That’s not what the science (Twitter or Reddit post with the most engagement) says.

My biggest concern is not whether to get vaccinated but what vaccine will I get? I am not sold on the AstraZeneca vaccine as it does not have the same efficacy as the Pfitzer or Moderna vaccines and their trials are a little suspect. I will get vaccinated but I would prefer the Pfitzer jab to the AstraZeneca one but I suspect I will not get a choice.

I am temped to risk it for twelve months and see if an alternative to AstraZeneca is rolled out. I note that New Zealand has approved the Pfitzer jab and will roll it out as soon as supplies become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back