Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Health Minister Greg Hunt reassures public of AstraZeneca COVID vaccine safety - ABC News

1617524422051.png

Last edited:

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know the mortality rate of those who develop clots?
And the delay time between the jab and development of clots?

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So opening up borders with NZ.... whilst new strains effect other countries, the Brazil strain particularly effecting younger people.

I can feel a lockdown looming this year, especially with a slow vaccine rollout...

GremioPower this is the news report I said last night I had just seen. Is this in line with how it has been reported over there.

This one from the national broadcaster ABC.

and this one earlier in the day from commercial station.

I remember saying at the time why stop development funding just because blood tests will result in a false positive HIV because the UQ vaccine was using 2 HIV protein fragments. If it works and it doesn't give you HIV, so what about the look of a false positive. Private sector should throw money at it. We wont be covid free for a couple of years and who knows how long we have to have regular jabs for it, so money to be potentially made out of it if governments are too scared.

UQ reworking dumped vaccine ‘under radar’

A new study based on the University of Queensland’s aborted COVID-19 vaccine suggests it is effective in combating the virus after one inoculation, with the potential to be stored at fridge temperature.

The university’s vaccine research team is now attempting to accelerate the vaccine technology past the research stage to demonstrate it was still a powerful preventative against COVID-19.

Leader of the research team Professor Paul Young told The Courier-Mail his scientists were continuing to rework and progress the vaccine, saying “it would need significant funding if it was to be returned to human trials”.

“We are working day to day and moving the technology forward but we are trying to stay under the radar as the focus needs to be on the AstraZeneca vaccine that is being rolled out as it is our best line of offence,” Professor Young said.

The vaccine’s trial was abruptly ended last year after some patients recorded false-positive HIV results.

Professor Young said this was due to the trial’s unique “clamp technology” which combined two fragments of a protein found in HIV.

However, new data suggests the technology is effective after one jab and is stable at fridge temperature.

The University of Queensland vaccine was one of the four the federal government had committed to purchasing last year, with plans to produce more than 50 million doses.

Edit original Courier Mail story

Last edited:
A PNGer transferred to Qld has died.

A man has died in a Queensland hospital from COVID-19 complications
The 77-year-old man from PNG was flown to Australia on March the 28th for treatment as his condition worsened.

He died in the intensive care unit at Redcliffe Hospital north of Brisbane yesterday.

and

Mass COVID vaccination hubs at stadiums, parks a possibility in Australia, but no clear plan yet
Younger Australians receiving their COVID vaccines at large public venues geared towards delivering thousands of vaccinations a day has been floated by experts, and it appears the federal government is open-minded about the plan.

The proposal appeared to receive a nod this morning from Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd, who said mass vaccination centres at venues like stadiums were "not off the agenda, particularly as we move into phase 2A".

"There are discussions with each of the states and territories as to how we best meet the needs of their specific populations," he said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has also left the door open to mass vaccination centres, which have become commonplace in other countries with higher vaccination rates than Australia.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Well, just had my annual flu shot. While I was there I booked in for the COVID shots. We cannot get the first jab until June 2nd so that means we will not be fully vaccinated until September. So much for ScoMo's 'everyone will be fully vaccinated by October 31st'. If they are still doing Phase 1B in September they have no hope of meeting their roll out targets.

Those mass vaccinatoin hubs should have been organised weeks ago and be in operation now.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well, just had my annual flu shot. While I was there I booked in for the COVID shots. We cannot get the first jab until June 2nd so that means we will not be fully vaccinated until September. So much for ScoMo's 'everyone will be fully vaccinated by October 31st'. If they are still doing Phase 1B in September they have no hope of meeting their roll out targets.

Those mass vaccinatoin hubs should have been organised weeks ago and be in operation now.

June 2nd and you are 1B - wtf ...

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine if you guys are losing it over the Brazillian strain and that Trump guy was letting hundreds of thousands of randomly infected people in! What a clown, he's got no idea rah rah rah.. meanwhile crickets.

Not sure why anyone's concerned about our roll out, being vaccinated or not makes zero difference living here. I'd rather they didn't rush out the Astrazeneca so a slower roll out and some more data from around the world I think is a benefit from that.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
GremioPower this is the news report I said last night I had just seen. Is this in line with how it has been reported over there.

This one from the national broadcaster ABC.

and this one earlier in the day from commercial station.

Thanks. I’m going to check it.

I don’t think covid will disappear. I believe it will become weaker and stay bothering us just like the flu.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
https://theconversation.com/new-cov...ugh-we-need-global-maximum-suppression-157870

I don't really have a good feeling about this. These new variants that keep popping up seem to be stronger rather than weaker strains. The vaccines could be worthless before they've even finished rolling out.

We have to hope that the vaccine manufacturers can keep ahead of the mutations. Even if they do I guess the problem is we do not want to be trying to get vaccinated every twelve months. Imagine if they have to try to vaccinate 18 million again in 2022?

Hopefully the virus will stop mutating and the current vaccines provide some sort of herd immunity. World leaders such as Biden, Merkel, Johnson and Macron are putting a lot of faith in vaccines stopping COVID. We have to hope their faith is justified.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We have to hope that the vaccine manufacturers can keep ahead of the mutations. Even if they do I guess the problem is we do not want to be trying to get vaccinated every twelve months. Imagine if they have to try to vaccinate 18 million again in 2022?

Hopefully the virus will stop mutating and the current vaccines provide some sort of herd immunity. World leaders such as Biden, Merkel, Johnson and Macron are putting a lot of faith in vaccines stopping COVID. We have to hope their faith is justified.

The virus won't top mutating will it? The Flu mutates every year - this will be no different.

All this talk is a warning - especially as we are isolated well in AUS.

Yet all the talk is about who can we open up with, are we mad?

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

They've got no other option as the populace isn't gonna cop more lockdowns. If it gets worse you almost need an authoritarian to come in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back