Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Happy to stick the boot into Morrison any time but the current criticism of him "backing the wrong horse" is...well...unfair.
Many options have been sought including Univ of Qld, AZ, Pfizer, Moderna....
The Critical Fatality Rate (CFR = deaths/ confirmed cases), in the case of unfettered progress of the disease, is running at around 2%. It looks to have stabilised around this value, pre massive vaccination programs worldwide. Refer to World in Data website.
With vaccine development programs, we might only get a small window to see what the disease would do CFR-wise, without intervention. The 2% CFR value also assumes that new variants do not affect mortality.
In the USA, where the disease until recently has progressed unfettered, 94% of that 2% CFR are deaths of people older than 55yo.
So limiting the AZ vaccine in Australia to older than 50yo still effectively addressess the age zone of critical mortality.
When the dust settles on this cluster-f**k it will be mortality that counts in assessing success or failure.

Once again proving this country is not actually well governed or good at managing anything but is simply lucky.

Spot on.

No conversation as you go
There's so much space the heat moves you
Terracotta homes, backyard barbeque and eucalyptus smell
It's fine on the clothes line
It's fast food and slow life and red roof
My silence, comic interruptions
Surely there's some relief from atomic art
And the fragile state of world events
With clowns who love the kings and power and the mutant media babes
Wanking on dreams and fashions and toilet paper flowers
Don't talk to me in this backyard - it's clandestine, it's nuclear
Smell of space and now forever I want to go
Straight down the exit eight mile attraction
your turn is up and the time clock sings lets go
Lucky country

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spot on.

No conversation as you go
There's so much space the heat moves you
Terracotta homes, backyard barbeque and eucalyptus smell
It's fine on the clothes line
It's fast food and slow life and red roof
My silence, comic interruptions
Surely there's some relief from atomic art
And the fragile state of world events
With clowns who love the kings and power and the mutant media babes
Wanking on dreams and fashions and toilet paper flowers
Don't talk to me in this backyard - it's clandestine, it's nuclear
Smell of space and now forever I want to go
Straight down the exit eight mile attraction
your turn is up and the time clock sings lets go
Lucky country

Boomer alert.

OK, if you are not going to give the U55's AstraZeneca vaccine what are you going to offer them?

Australia cannot get supplies of Pfitzer out the EU, Moderna and J&J have been cornered by the US and Novavax has not yet been approved.

There is always Sputnik V or the Sinovac but neither of these have been tested in the West.

Government hasn't banned U/55's taking it, they have recommended not taking it at the moment. They have recommended you talk to your GP and discuss if you have symptoms and pre conditions like the people who died.

They can't ban it when the pill has a higher risk rate of causing death than AstraZeneca and they haven't banned that. In a month's time they will be saying AZ is ok except for people with certain conditions. A bit of arse covering at the moment just in case.........

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Government hasn't banned U/55's taking it, they have recommended not taking it at the moment. They have recommended you talk to your GP and discuss if you have symptoms and pre conditions like the people who died took.

They can't ban it when the pill has a higher risk rate of causing death than AstraZeneca and they haven't banned that. In a month's time they will be saying AZ is ok except for people with certain conditions. A bit of arse covering at the moment just in case.........

With respect to preconditions:

ATAGI statement on AstraZeneca vaccine in response to new vaccine safety concerns | Australian Government Department of Health

So far no specific biological risk factors or pre-existing medical conditions have been found to modify (i.e. increase or decrease) the risk of TTS occurring after AstraZeneca vaccine.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Australia has secured 20 million more doses of the Pfizer vaccine overnight, doubling the number the nation will buy, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.
The extra capacity comes after the government decided to make Pfizer the preferred vaccine for people aged under 50 after medical experts expressed concerns about rare blood clots potentially linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Australia had previously bought 20 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine but was relying more heavily on the AstraZeneca product, which is being manufactured by CSL in Melbourne.
The government anticipates the 20 million new doses will be available in the final quarter of 2021,Mr Morrison said.
“We will obviously be doing everything we can to seek to move that forward where we can but that is very welcome news,” he said.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Government hasn't banned U/55's taking it, they have recommended not taking it at the moment. They have recommended you talk to your GP and discuss if you have symptoms and pre conditions like the people who died took.

Yes, there are no bans or mandatory requirements it is entirely our choice. I wonder if the guy who contracted clotting in Melbourne had a pre existing condition? As I posted at the time he is reported to be 44 so he has to be one of the front line exposure groups.

There has not been a lot of detail about this man's condition or any pre existing medical issues but I guess patient confidentiality prevents the authorities from going into detail.

As of this morning Australia had 20 million Pfitzer doses on order but thus far we have only received 1 million of those. It is one thing to put an order in but another to get it filled. As I noted at the time Morrison, Hunt, Marshall and Spurrier etc. are all fully vaccinated with Pfitzer so they have their priorities right.

POSTSCRIPT: ABC are reporting that U/55 front line workers who have booked the AstraZeneca jab are being turned away from the Exhibition Hall vaccination hub in Melbourne. If over 55 is only a recommendation and these peope are prepared to take the jab why are they being turned away? The ABC had interviews with a St Johns worker and a Registered Nurse who were willing to take the jab but refused the jab. These are front line workers and have to have some protection. Maybe there is a cache of Pfitzer somewhere in Australia?

Sounds like total confusion.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Australia has secured 20 million more doses of the Pfizer vaccine overnight, doubling the number the nation will buy, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.
The extra capacity comes after the government decided to make Pfizer the preferred vaccine for people aged under 50 after medical experts expressed concerns about rare blood clots potentially linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Australia had previously bought 20 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine but was relying more heavily on the AstraZeneca product, which is being manufactured by CSL in Melbourne.
The government anticipates the 20 million new doses will be available in the final quarter of 2021,Mr Morrison said.
“We will obviously be doing everything we can to seek to move that forward where we can but that is very welcome news,” he said.

Yeah right, as I posted above it is one thing to order Pfitzer but another to actually get the stuff. I will believe it when the doses are unloaded from the plane. I cannot see Australia, with it's low infection rates getting priority over some African nations.

As I also posted above Australia has only received 1 million of it's initial 20 million order, Morrison is covering his arse as he can now say, we have Pfitzer on order but supply is limited. I reckon it is more likely that under 50's will not see the pointy end of the needle until the second half of 2022.

Last edited:
Screen print from last nights ABC News re stats. They are bloody low but you can see why anti-vaccers become a thing even at these rates especially if you have death of children when they are given various vaccines.

1617941426159.png
1617941435634.png

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
Screen print from last nights ABC News re stats. They are bloody low but you can see why anti-vaccers become a thing even at these rates especially if you have death of children when they are given various vaccines.

View attachment 1097859 View attachment 1097860
That's 0.0000007% deaths per vaccination?

(Or 7 per 10 million)
In UK and Europe if that were offered as the only vaccine, I'd take it

In the lucky country, maybe I'd prefer to wait

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I think the great vaccine stuff up just got worse for the Government and ScoMo is in damage control. He spent the good part of his post National Cabinet Press Conference deflecting flak by singing the praises of Gladys Berejiklian. Draw the attention away from your own poor performance by telling everyone how well the Liberal Premier of New South Wales has done.

View attachment 1097859 View attachment 1097860
Part of the anomaly is also that effects are voluntary, so it is believed that the stats are only 1% of actual. Well that’s what’s believed anyway

Part of the anomaly is also that effects are voluntary, so it is believed that the stats are only 1% of actual. Well that’s what’s believed anyway
By whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back