Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Cambridge University risk assessment for the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
Best to go to the plots at the bottom of the page first b4 reading the details. In Oz I think we would be classified as " low exposure", so that is the relevant plot.
Contrary to the recommendation that over 50s only should be taking AZ, this assessment seems to indicate over 30s get benefits.

At the moment professionals are suggesting a low platelet count is associated with AZ vaccine clotting deaths.

I am not quite understanding this.

My understanding is that platelets are a major facilitator of clotting, so I might expect the opposite conclusion to be drawn ie high platelets = greater risk

So how is the inverse drawn? Understood that this is a very atypical clotting, so the mechanism of clotting must be different. But why associate it with low platelets?

At the moment professionals are suggesting a low platelet count is associated with AZ vaccine clotting deaths.

My understanding is that platelets are a major facilitator of clotting, so I might expect the opposite conclusion to be drawn ie high platelets = greater risk

So how is the inverse drawn? Understood that this is a very atypical clotting, so the mechanism of clotting must be different. But why associate it with low platelets?

AstraZeneca blood clotting: what is this rare syndrome and how is it caused? | Coronavirus | The Guardian

Platelets are cells that usually help to stop bleeding by clumping together to form a blood clot. In AstraZeneca vaccine recipients affected by this rare clotting syndrome, the number of platelets drops. A unique immune system reaction occurs involving the remaining platelets and white blood cells, and it is this reaction that makes the blood more clumpy, leading to clotting.

The immune system attacks the platelets

Yesterday India recorded 275,306 new COVID cases. No health system in the world is going to cope with that level of daily infections over a sustained period. What is really concerning is that new and highly contagious variants are being detected in India. Lock downs in places like India and Brazil are contentious because when they lock down many of the poor risk dying of starvation.

On the other side of the COVID spectrum, yesterday the UK got below the 2,000 daily infections for the first time in many months. On January 8th the UK recorded 67,928 daily cases with 1,327 deaths but by yesterday they had reduced that to 1,882 new cases with 10 deaths. A long term lock down and border restrictions coupled with an effective vaccination programme appears to have had dramatic effect. You would think that other world leaders would take note.

I watched our Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack on TV this morning and this guy really is a typical politician. He treats the Australian public like we are all stupid. It is as if he thinks he can say anything and we will all sit back in awe and tell ourselves, 'gee we are lucky to have this Government looking after us'.

The fact that Australia is in a COVID safe bubble is probably more down to sound management by the states than the Federal Government. It is the States that have carried the can with lockdowns, hotel quarantine and now it looks like the vaccination roll out- not the Commonwealth. Managing the epidemic in nursing homes and rolling out the vaccine has been a giagantic fail on the part of the Commonwealth.

When asked about the slow vaccine rollout in Australia McCormack quickly reverted to how lucky we are to be living in Australia. We all know that for crissake Michael how about telling us what your Government is doing to get more jabs in peoples' arms you burk? When pressed further Mc Cormack launched into more hyperbole about how we had secured 20 million doses of Pfitzer vaccine. They might be on order Michael but you have not actually got them yet and there are no guarantees you will get them by the end of 2021. You might also have mentioned that Australia did not place it's initial order for Pfitzer until November while countries like Singapore ordered theirs in August.

This guy makes Scott Morrison look like an Einstein and this interview confirmed the well held belief that this Government is clutching at straws and looking for something to tell the Australian public.

As for Morrison he thinks holding a National Cabinet meeting twice a week to achieve nothing is better than a once weekly meeting that achieves nothing.

We are due a Federal election next year and I am struggling to find some one to vote for.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That NZ bubble is looking shaky a day in. I guess it is wait and see for a day or two.

Apparently the airport worker was fully vaccinated which protects him but does not mean he is not contagious. According to Jacinda Ardern the infected worker was a cleaner working on aircraft and did not have contact with the general public.

Last edited:
Yeah it's potent. Normal though. Every second nurse and doctor I work with has taken a day off afterwards after the second Pfizer jab.

When do the mopboys get their jab?

It's just the flu m8

It’s probably because their cricketers were “smug” looking while they were here.

According to one prominent poster in this thread anyway.

Remember when people here were theorising that India would be ok because they have a warmer climate?

"There has been a 60% increase in paediatric cases since March 1 in Mumbai and 65% of new hospital patients in Delhi are now thought to be under the age of 45"

This has to be fake news. COVID-19 only badly affects Boomers.

"There has been a 60% increase in paediatric cases since March 1 in Mumbai and 65% of new hospital patients in Delhi are now thought to be under the age of 45"

This has to be fake news. COVID-19 only badly affects Boomers.

Boomer Remover

Remember when people here were theorising that India would be ok because they have a warmer climate?

I was just waiting for the avalanche to come. When their society and government doesn't care for 95% of the population it was only a matter of time.

Maybe now the federal government might be able to let citizens know when they can expect a vaccine.

Pretty embarassing for the federal government when the states keep holding this together. Another responsibility they're having to take over because of their incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back