Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imagine this happened in the AFL. They’d shut the season down.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They'd postpone games because we don't want it spreading across the country. England did this with the premier league before the mass cases came.

England for example is so far up s**t creek now that they'd have no football forever with the numbers they got, so just taking players out for a period is the alternative.

NSW has recorded a worrying rise in Covid-19 cases, with officials confirming 10 new infections since yesterday.

NSW Health revealed five locally acquired cases had been recorded in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, with two of those announced yesterday morning.
There were also seven other infections recorded after the official reporting period and will therefore be included in Wednesday’s numbers. There are now 21 infections linked to the Bondi outbreak.
Only two weren't already in Iso so not sure how that shifts the perspective

Tobacco is estimated to kill 24,000 Australians and more than 5 million people world wide per annum. Yet I can calmly walk down to Woolworths and buy a packet of cigarettes. Only restriction is that I am currently required to wear a mask when making said purchase. Different pandemics different urgency…
There is no comparison

The point is the disproportionate response to two different pamdemics. With covid we have turned australia into a fortress state, imprisoned people in their homes, let loose a mental health crisis, driven tens of thousamds of businesses to the wall, incurred unfathomable levels of national debt, outsourced government to medical experts and generally descended into peak cold war levels of fear and paronia Que the other pandemic, with all its death, cost and misery and there is so little concern or resolve that i can still walk up to the counter at woolworths, buy my ciggatettes, and be subjected to little more than onerous taxes and a public health warning.
Would you prefer our government ‘s actions mirrored Bolsonaro’s, Trumps?

True, most people don’t choose to be infected with any transmissible disease. But the statistics are clear, people who lead an unhealthy lifestyle are at far greater risk of experiencing adverse outcomes & hospitalisation then healthy people.

So smokers are at greater risk of contracting COVID than non smokers ?

Saw this graph on 7.30 last night and was a bit shocked by how quickly Canada has expanded their vaccine roll out. I remember looking mid to late April and they had vaccinated 17% of their population and the USA was at about 40% and Oz was about 5%.

Also in Canada, the 2nd dose of AstraZeneca vaccine is no longer recommended for those who have had the first AZ jab after a review of immune responses from those who have been administered the AZ vaccine. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is now recommending that people who received a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine receive a second dose of an mRNA vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Australia of course is largely stuck with its existing vaccine roll out strategy due to the decisions taken by the Federal Government in relation to AZ as recently as early 2021.

https://t.co/qTkHJT3cdj?amp=1

On reflection i temd to agree - in the last 6 months we have had a single covid death and about 12000 tobacco related deaths - should not be comparing at all
Two wrongs don’t make a right
i.e. just because the government hasn’t banned cigarettes ( which I wish they would personally) doesn’t mean they shouldn’t protect us from a pandemic. I don't really get your point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As reported 22 June 2021 (21 June 2021 data):

So far, 6,719,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across Australia (Aust Govt DoH/ covidlive websites).

Change from previous day: 128,000

Australia's population is about 25.8mill, requiring about 51.6mill doses for completion of the dual dose program.

Current % to completion:
(6.72/51.6) x 100 = 13.0%
(Previous Day: 12.8%)
---------------------
Note 1:
If <16yo veto on vaccination persists (current Pfizer; about 22.1% or 5.7mill Australians) then about 40.2mill doses are required and not 51.6mill.
Current % to completion: 16.7%

Note 2:
If <12yo veto on vaccination is accepted (projected Pfizer; about 16.9% or 4.4mill Australians) then about 42.8mill doses are required and not 51.6mill.
Current % to completion: 15.7%

Manufactured doses supplied in Oz

Dual dose vaccination:

To vaccinate all over 16yo: 40.2mill doses
To vaccinate all over 12yo: 42.8mill doses

As at 20 June 2021 we have:

Approx 14.66mill vaccine doses have been supplied.

Presumably some in quarantine pending release.

Comprising:

9.32mill doses AZ/CSL
Agreed to Supply: 50.0mill doses

0.71mill doses AZ/OS
Agreed to Supply: 3.80mill doses

4.13mill doses of Pfizer
Agreed to Supply: 40.0mill doses

0.50mill doses from Covax Facility
Agreed to Supply: 25.5mill doses

Also in Canada, the 2nd dose of AstraZeneca vaccine is no longer recommended for those who have had the first AZ jab after a review of immune responses from those who have been administered the AZ vaccine. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is now recommending that people who received a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine receive a second dose of an mRNA vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Australia of course is largely stuck with its existing vaccine roll out strategy due to the decisions taken by the Federal Government in relation to AZ as recently as early 2021.

https://t.co/qTkHJT3cdj?amp=1

In Australia there is no choice for most of us. The Canadian decision is based on German studies which show an increased immune response if the AstraZeneca and mRNA vaccines are mixed. The Canadians have reacted to the Delta variant which has apparently already mutated again in India. Regardless as to what other countries decide in Australia we are unlikely to be able to mix vaccines for some time. Until we do people should still get fully vaccinated with the vaccine offered as there is no concrete evidence that AstraZeneca is ineffective against the current variants.

The Canadian recommendation is that the AstraZeneca shot is no longer the 'preferred' second shot of vaccine. They stop short of not recommending that people fully vaccinate with Astra Zeneca. In fact the Canadian announcement is a tad irresponsible because all it will do is deter people from getting fully vaccinated with an effective vaccine.

Given the rate of mutation we are probably going to need an annual booster anyway. So go with the available AstraZeneca then switch to Pfitzer when it is available in a couple of years time. Like many I will not get my second dose until the end of August so it will probably be well into 2022 or maybe early 2023 before I need a booster. By that time there will probably be plenty of mRNA vaccines available.

Last edited:
On reflection i temd to agree - in the last 6 months we have had a single covid death and about 12000 tobacco related deaths - should not be comparing at all
Are you going full *? How can you compare a choice to smoke to a virus which you don't get a choice about catching if its left unchecked out there. If you are stupid enough to smoke and slowly kill yourself that is each persons choice. And I thank the govt. for protecting us better than what other countries have and allowing me to go out to work without fear of a catching a virus that can be have its spread controlled.

ps. is the earth also flat?

Better buy that asbestos shack on KI..

Well I hope we take the learnings from this one then and those who don’t, well I guess there’s always natural selection.

Well I hope we take the learnings from this one then and those who don’t, well I guess there’s always natural selection.

It's probably more about clearing rain forests etc.... that's the main problem.

Us humans don't like to tackle the primary issue (which is harder) but rather deal with it when the s**t hits the fan. (Morrison/Libs/Coal etc...).

Primary health care another example.... as opposed to making drugs to fix people, maybe just eat beter ad excersize more.... there is more we could do with that side of it, hard to make money from that though.

Better buy that asbestos shack on KI..

It's not really shock journalism, this has been the case for a long time and the warnings have been coming for a long time.
It's just governments chose to ignore them....and here we are.
Climate change is similar, the politicians get traction denying it.

England cricket legend Michael Vaughan has publicly declared the 2021-22 Ashes series in Australia should be “called off”.

The former England captain said reports that players could be forced to tour Australia without their families for four months was “unacceptable”.
The reports this week suggest England’s touring squad will be forced to say goodbye to their family members, who may not be allowed into Australia as part of Australia’s ongoing strict border protection measures.
Australia’s Covid-19 restrictions mean the border is closed to all travellers from abroad, while Cricket Australia is reportedly seeking special permission for the partners and children of players and staff to be allowed to join the players this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back