Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from it being Boaks 300th I didn’t even really want to go anyway :shrug:

I’m more annoyed that I still have to go to work tomorrow and put up with all the *******s that suddenly think the world is ending and that they need to stick up on all the pasta and toilet paper that their trolleys can handle. ******* morons, but I can’t say that because I’ll get fired eh

If the pioneers panicked as much as our current leaders, European settlement would have never taken place.

This is more about fear of our hospitals not handling things. Spend $2bil on a new hospital, bugger all extra beds and ramping every winter as well as other times in the better weather months of the rest of the year.

Last edited:
If the pioneers panicked as much as our current leaders, European settlement would have never taken place.

This is more about fear of our hospitals not handling things. Spend $2bil on a new hospital, bugger all extra beds and ramping every winter as well as other times in the better weather months of the rest of the year.

Yet at the height of the pandemic in march last year, they reopened the old rehab hospital in Walkerville, reopened parts of the repat etc to handle any increase in load.

This reaction is built on sheer panic.

fu** NSW. And fu** everyone who can have a vaccine (which with doctors now giving AZ to anyone willing is everyone, except for those with legitimate reasons, not 'Oh it's not the perfect vaccine' or 'I want to wait and see') who won't. Now is the time to start extra measures for those who haven't versus those who have. Both to push more to get the jab and to stop everyone being clusterfu**ed by those who could help stop these lockdowns, but won't.

Make the restrictions on sports, shopping, events, dining etc. only apply to the unvaccinated and allow those who've done the right thing to return to something like normal (still social distancing and masks).
Lol

fu** NSW. And fu** everyone who can have a vaccine (which with doctors now giving AZ to anyone willing is everyone, except for those with legitimate reasons, not 'Oh it's not the perfect vaccine' or 'I want to wait and see') who won't. Now is the time to start extra measures for those who haven't versus those who have. Both to push more to get the jab and to stop everyone being clusterfu**ed by those who could help stop these lockdowns, but won't.

Make the restrictions on sports, shopping, events, dining etc. only apply to the unvaccinated and allow those who've done the right thing to return to something like normal (still social distancing and masks).

I don't get your anger at the unvaccinated. Surely it is their right to run the risk of contracting the virus and suffering the consequences. If you are vaccinated yourself then they are little risk to you.

Agree 1000%, the hypocrisy when Marshall and the like talk about health being a priority is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get your anger at the unvaccinated. Surely it is their right to run the risk of contracting the virus and suffering the consequences. If you are vaccinated yourself then they are little risk to you.

I'm not angry at the unvaccinated if it is due to hesitancy because of the botched mixed messaging of the Australian government. People are uncertain of what to do.

However, vaccination doesn't simply mean you have 90% protection, it also means if you do get the disease it is in a much reduced state and you are less likely to get very sick and even less likely to pass it on to other vaccinated people if you do get it.

The main aim of vaccination is herd immunity, which significantly reduces the transmission of the disease. It is a community, not just a personal response.

By not getting vaccinated you are making a decision that affects not only you, but other people in the community.

Not actually true. The unvaccinated will be likely creators of more variants

Well to make a fair comparison you have to remember that the early European settlers to Australia did not have access to vaccines (or the medical knowledge of what caused those diseases) to combat the many diseases that ravaged their communities.

In contrast effective vaccines were and are available to our Federal Government from late last year had they chosen to make their acquisition a priority. Similarly the capacity to implement effective large scale quarantining away from major cities is also available to us.

The situation we now face of a large % of our population at risk is a direct result of of previous political choices.

And of course, without wanting to taking this thread off topic, the position faced by early settlers in combating epidemics was far different from that faced by Indigenous populations.

Take the smallpox epidemic in Sydney following the arrival of the First Fleet. Without previous exposure to the smallpox virus, Aboriginal people had no resistance, and up to 70 per cent were killed by the disease. I think it's fair to suggest that the Indigenous community around Port Phillip Bay at that time were indeed 'panicked' by the annihilation of their communities.

Fear of the upcoming elections….

The health system won’t cope, therefore those that didn’t make a choice (car accident, cancer etc), will struggle for treatment.
They pose a massive risk to the vulnerable.

As chiwigi said, the health system gets over run by these selfish pricks and those of us maybe with a genuine health problem are made to suffer. Also, you can still get covid even if vaccinated, and people with existing health conditions are still at risk.

Maybe the rules should be the if you choose to not get vaccinated, you forfeit the right to be treated in the limited ICU beds… if you decide to play the odds and lose by contracting the disease - bad luck.

Maybe the rules should be the if you choose to not get vaccinated, you forfeit the right to be treated in the limited ICU beds… if you decide to play the odds and lose by contracting the disease - bad luck.
Yep. Unless you have a genuine medical reason to not be. Same as Interstate travel. Or when lockdowns, if you cannot prove you are vaccinated and are out and about and police check, you cop fines. Has to be a reason for people to get vaccinated, because a lot of people are genuinely stupid or selfish, so you need to help make the decision for them.

The health system won’t cope, therefore those that didn’t make a choice (car accident, cancer etc), will struggle for treatment.
They pose a massive risk to the vulnerable.
Exactly. My dad is currently waiting back to see how serious recently diagnosed pancreatic cancer is. I don’t want a hospital full of selfish pricks filling up wards, stopping him getting treatment. If it was a choice that didn’t impact anyone else I’d be happy for the deniers/delayers to do as they want with no consequences. It has consequences for others though. Vaccines are as much about others, if not more so, then oneself. COVID has shown up a lot of people who really don't give a s**t about others when it comes to having to do something that could be uncomfortable for them.

Last edited:
Exactly. My dad is currently waiting back to see how serious recently diagnosed pancreatic cancer is. I don’t want a hospital full of selfish pricks filling up wards, stopping him getting treatment. If it was a choice that didn’t impact anyone else I’d be happy for the deniers/delayers to do as they want with no consequences. It has consequences for others though. Vaccines are as much about others, if not more so, then oneself. COVID has shown up a lot of people who really do t give a sh*t about others when it comes to having to do something that could be uncomfortable for them.
True mate. Hope your dad is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back