Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. It is actually is an argument in favour of greater level of ongoing community restrictions and strongly refuting the simplistic 'let it rip' agenda.

This is what happens when those with an agenda go cherrypicking with Dr Google to find articles that they *think* supports their agenda because they fail to look beyond the summary and headline. I suspect it is because he does not understand how vaccines work or their primary (but far from exclusive) role in combatting pandemics.

The article quoted by the poster above merely summarises one aspect of the clinical research of others now emerging about vaccines to combat the emerging strains of covid-19. Specifically:

Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance (i.e. reduces the risk of severe illness and hospitalisations) . Nonetheless, fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have peak viral load similar to unvaccinated cases and can efficiently transmit infection in household settings, including to fully vaccinated contacts. Host–virus interactions early in infection may shape the entire viral trajectory.

In summary:

Although vaccines remain highly effective at preventing severe disease and deaths from COVID-19, vaccination on its own is not sufficient to prevent transmission of the delta variant in household settings with prolonged exposures. Our findings highlight the importance of community studies to characterise the epidemiological phenotype of new SARS-CoV-2 variants in increasingly highly vaccinated populations. Continued public health and social measures to curb transmission of the delta variant remain important, even in vaccinated individuals.

Yeah I read it before I linked it as it's another study to say that hey transmission make no difference with the vaccination. So we can all agree to stop that line of tripe when talking of reasons why we want to attack unvaxxed yeah?

I mean it's not as if we just had a vaccinated person infect a heap of other vaccinated people or anything or I dunno an entire world of data.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And Christenson on Alex Jones show.
This is a serious nefarious movement.
Anyone who votes for these troublemakers is a total moron.
The issue is worldwide. The Libs and UAP are basically GOP clones now.
And being paid no doubt.
Coal, oil, anti climate change, Putin, Crypto, maximum disruption to Democracies all connected and more.

foilhat_tin-foil_hats.jpg

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
eah I read it before I linked it as it's another study to say that hey transmission make no difference with the vaccination.

Actually that is NOT what the source research says (in relation to the Delta variant) at all.

It specifically says this:

Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance (i.e. reduced the risk of serious illness and hospitalisations amongst those who are vaccinated).

It then goes on to outline circumstances in which spreading can still occur within a household and the reason why vaccines, on their own, are not enough to curb the spread of the virus and that other supplementary measures are required.

To interpret the data as some sort of vindication for not getting vaccinated is simply wrong. It actually vindicates the current multi-faceted approach recommended by Australian health authorities, especially for 'at-risk' groups.

But don't take my word for it read the conclusion from the source report (link posted earlier):

"Our findings help to explain how and why the delta variant is being transmitted so effectively in populations with high vaccine coverage.

Although current vaccines remain effective at preventing severe disease and deaths from COVID-19, our findings suggest that vaccination
alone is not sufficient to prevent all transmission of the delta variant in the household setting, where exposure is close and prolonged.

Increasing population immunity via booster programmes and vaccination of teenagers will help to increase the currently limited effect of vaccination on transmission, but our analysis suggests that direct protection of individuals at risk of severe outcomes, via vaccination and non-pharmacological interventions, will remain central to containing the burden of disease caused by the delta variant."

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
We've had 4 Covid deaths for 1.7 million people living in SA, so 2.25 deaths per million.

The USA has had 2394 deaths per million people. Literally 1000x the death rate. The restrictions weren't perfect but we basically lived normal lives for the vast majority of the pandemic so far because of them very few deaths compared to the rest of the world.
So the bed wetter said prevented hundreds of thousands covid deaths in SA.

That's not remotely possible.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Actually that is NOT what the source research says (in relation to the Delta variant) at all.

It specifically says this:

Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance (i.e. reduced the risk of serious illness and hospitalisations amongst those who are vaccinated).

It then goes on to outline circumstances in which spreading can still occur within a household and the reason why vaccines, on their own, are not enough to curb the spread of the virus and that other supplementary measures are required.

To interpret the data as some sort of vindication for not getting vaccinated is simply wrong. It actually vindicates the current multi-faceted approach recommended by Australian health authorities, especially for 'at-risk' groups.

But don't take my word for it read the conclusion from the source report (link posted earlier):

"Our findings help to explain how and why the delta variant is being transmitted so effectively in populations with high vaccine coverage.

Although current vaccines remain effective at preventing severe disease and deaths from COVID-19, our findings suggest that vaccination
alone is not sufficient to prevent all transmission of the delta variant in the household setting, where exposure is close and prolonged.

Increasing population immunity via booster programmes and vaccination of teenagers will help to increase the currently limited effect of vaccination on transmission, but our analysis suggests that direct protection of individuals at risk of severe outcomes, via vaccination and non-pharmacological interventions, will remain central to containing the burden of disease caused by the delta variant."

Yeah great, you can argue with someone else who disagrees with you about the efficacy of the vaccine once infected but I'm talking transmission vax vs non-vaxxed and using that as a reason to ban them from life. There's effectively no difference so why the constant use of this as a reason? It should be binned like people thinking the vax stops you getting infected was.

Another one:

"However, this study unfortunately also highlights that the vaccine effect on reducing transmission is minimal in the context of delta variant circulation."

joyful

Debutant
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The big problem here is the government’s quarantine requirements for not only doctors but other health workers.
For myself, and many others under this direction, it is impossible to perform our jobs in under 1 minute and at a greater distance than 1.5 meters, so without a N95 mask and eye protection we are considered a ‘vaccinated close contact (critical worker)‘

5042FB7A-6DE7-4EFA-8445-40D5A6048E36.png

This means we need to quarantine for a week and then have restrictions for another week.

DC71DAB6-F0D4-4435-859B-7DEC5E9B6335.png

As Covid spreads around the state the lack of appropriate PPE could be really problematic from a staffing point of view.
My workplace is not currently requiring us to use N95’s although I expect that will change once the supply issues are resolved, they have opened up extra COVID testing sites and of course they take priority for the good PPE!
I’m not too concerned at the moment, I have a decent amount of leave stockpiled and the only way I’m likely to be able to use it is if I get popped in quarantine 😂

[

Geez pure bloods, you really have gone down the rabbit hole.
It's a good sign you're on the wrong side of history when you literally name yourselves after Voldemort's followers.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
The big problem here is the government’s quarantine requirements for not only doctors but other health workers.
For myself, and many others under this direction, it is impossible to perform our jobs in under 1 minute and at a greater distance than 1.5 meters, so without a N95 mask and eye protection we are considered a ‘vaccinated close contact (critical worker)‘

View attachment 1293846

This means we need to quarantine for a week and then have restrictions for another week.

View attachment 1293848

As Covid spreads around the state the lack of appropriate PPE could be really problematic from a staffing point of view.
My workplace is not currently requiring us to use N95’s although I expect that will change once the supply issues are resolved, they have opened up extra COVID testing sites and of course they take priority for the good PPE!
I’m not too concerned at the moment, I have a decent amount of leave stockpiled and the only way I’m likely to be able to use it is if I get popped in quarantine 😂

I work in health care too and agree with everything you've said about the directional flow chart for healthcare workers. It is as if the state authorities are trying to further burden the healthcare system by placing such ridiculous demands on it with respect to the necessary thresholds to ensure you (as a health care worker) are not deemed a close contact of a positive case.

There has been very little thought into the details of all this, and the extremely poor execution to date shows.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

View attachment 1293846

View attachment 1293848

It’s almost unfathomable that after nearly two years we still have PPE supply issues. Pathetic really.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I work in health care too and agree with everything you've said about the directional flow chart for healthcare workers. It is as if the state authorities are trying to further burden the healthcare system by placing such ridiculous demands on it with respect to the necessary thresholds to ensure you (as a health care worker) are not deemed a close contact of a positive case.

There has been very little thought into the details of all this, and the extremely poor execution to date shows.
No no just ask the expert PapaG …apparently Halthcare is just fine and under no strain whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back