Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, one was pre Cold Chisel, another was pre The Angels, known as the Moonshine Jug and String Band at the time.

We also had Chisel play at our end of year social in ‘75.

Racking my brain to think of another.
My best mate at school had two brothers older than him, 4 and 6 years older and also went to our school, and many moons ago he told me that Cold Chisel played at one of the brothers' school socials. The older brother was in year 12 in 1975. I doubt it was in 1977 as they had released their debut album by then.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Funny how no-one is aware of what the guy is saying until you actively seek him out.
No one: I wonder what Joe has to say about the pandemic

Really, no one: I need to know what he thinks!

Bravey: HERE IT IS JOE CUCKOLDBRAND HAVE A LOOK AT HIS LATEST ARTICLE I'M GOING TO SHARE

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Funny how no-one is aware of what the guy is saying until you actively seek him out.

This from the clown who just a couple of days ago posted a link in this thread to an article from someone called Brian Weichardt in an obscure Danish tabloid 'Ekstra Bladet' to support his own political viewpoint.

Marat

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can you put me on ignore like you said you had twice now?
Calling out your, lies hypocrisy and idiocy is an addiction I can't seem to wean myself off.

Especially when I know just a push of the dislike button to one of your posts triggers you so badly.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
This argument has been done to death and is patently false.

10-20million excess deaths in 2 years of the pandemic.

Official death toll 5.5m.
The world's population grew by approximately 165 million in the two year period over 2019 and 2020 even taking into account the excess COVID deaths. COVID would need to be 15-30 times more deadly in order to start putting a dent in the total numbers of human beings on the planet. In the last 50 or so years we have been spectacularly successful in improving life expectancy, reducing infant mortality, and avoiding disastrous wars which kill millions of people. Short of another dinosaur-killing meteor, the greatest threat to humanity is likely to be the burden we're placing on the planet due to our own success.

I don't consider myself a COVID denier. I'm a triple-vaxxed rusted-on Labor voter who wears a facemask where required. I just think that, even with COVID, there has never been a safer time to be a human in the history of the world than our present time.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I just think that, even with COVID, there has never been a safer time to be a human in the history of the world than our present time.

True.

But you know that's because of the work done by scientists and the medical profession in stopping preventable deaths, right?

Leaving out the effects of war, life expectancy for humans in the most advanced countries of the world have risen from about 30 before 1800 to around 85 in some parts of the western world due almost entirely to improvements in health care, diet and scientific improvements in things like sanitation.

Immunisation has been a big part of that in the 20-21st century.

But those effects of direct intervention in health care have not been universal. Parts of Africa for example have life expectancies up to 30 years lower than other parts of the world. The difference between life outcomes for people of indigenous backgrounds remain signficantly lower than non indigenous peoples in many countries, including Australia.

And covid remains a severe threat to those communities with low vaccination rates, especially in Africa. It is where scientists say we should expect the next mutation of the covid virus to take place with zero certainty that it will be less deadly or virulent than previous variants.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This from the clown who just a couple of days ago posted a link in this thread to an article from someone called Brian Weichardt in an obscure Danish tabloid 'Ekstra Bladet' to support his own political viewpoint.
Knowing absolutely nothing about Mr Weichardt I can see with 100% that I respect him and his opinion more than Joe Hildecampaigner

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Knowing absolutely nothing about Mr Weichardt I can see with 100% that I respect him and his opinion more than Joe Hildecampaigner
Yep. But that is simply giving a viewpoint on whose s**t you think has a better smell.

They were both linked here for political effect and are both tabloid writers whose existence is solely reliant on generating outrage as opposed to the truth.

1642822255307.png

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good article below from that right wing ratbag organisation the ABC. With a bit of luck it seems that we have past the peak in NSW with the health system holding up better than even in the most optimistic modelling.

Remember when I posted this a few weeks back?

There is something both horrific and comforting about these kind of numbers - they are totally unsustainable.

At 100k+ per day, the whole thing should be over in a matter of weeks, the entire outbreak done in a month or two. The damage and destruction caused is unknown, but it would at least be finished before Winter.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Remember when I posted this a few weeks back?

Yes. And it does indeed look clear that the peak in the rise in the rate of infections (now best measured by hospitalisations than positive cases due to the changed testing regime and the numbers involved) has been reached in NSW - and we are very close to that peak here in SA.

But reaching the 'peak' is not a startling revelation but a mathematical certainty in viral reproduction - the rate of increase in peak infections will always happen regardless of the vaccination and protection regime (or lack of one) adopted.

What matters (imho) are the differential adverse side effects on a community - deaths, ongoing illness, strain on the health system, business closures, etc. - that are endured as a consequence of the strategy adopted.

And you only have to look at the NSW and SA examples in dealing with omicron to see that. The NSW Government recklessly removed mask wearing and other protection protocols at the very time it opened its borders internationally and with other states - while reversed quickly the immediate impact of that decision had major impacts. The SA Government did not, and furthermore extended testing and vaccine mandates across certain occupations and industries as the borders opened.

The difference in outcomes in reaching the 'peak' are stark imho and what Hildebrand has glibly and quite deliberately glossed over for effect in his article linked earlier.

Last edited:

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was also the early indication from South Africa - a rapid peak, a quick decline, and with a fatality rate lower than in a bad flu season

South Africa did just not just did not do nothing and covid didn’t just go away. Restrictions in place masks/curfews/restrictions on gatherings etc. to bring it into check.

It’s summer over there and they have just started easing restrictions that kept covid in check.

About 3500 cases today and 103 new deaths.

Now easing restrictions and moving into winter I wonder what happens next. I guess there’s no way of predicting

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
South Africa did just not just did not do nothing and covid didn’t just go away. Restrictions in place masks/curfews/restrictions on gatherings etc. to bring it into check.

It’s summer over there and they have just started easing restrictions that kept covid in check.

About 3500 cases today and 103 new deaths.

Now easing restrictions and moving into winter I wonder what happens next. I guess there’s no way of predicting

Maybe wait for the next variant to breed up? If it comes from any where it will probably be Out Of Africa.

As the WHO keeps saying the most critical thing atm is to get vaccine into Africa. South Africa had a fairly low vaccination rate before Omicron with only 25% of the population fully vaccinated in Nov 2021. By Jan 15 2022 47% had at least one jab. Last week South African President Cyril Ramaphosa opened a Covid vaccine manufacturing plant in the country which will be a huge boost. It is hoped to be able to produce up to 1 billion doses of vaccine per year.

Vagabond0

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never understood why we don't see more articles like this.

Stumbled across this one this morning

Makes me wonder what's stopping them from donating to some tax deductible charity that gets vaccines/meds etc to the less fortunate.

Why bother adding the inefficiencies of Government into the mix.

Same goes when the extreme wealthy talk about Governments not doing enough to tackle climate change.... maybe it might just be easier to use their privileged position to make a start on the issue themselves rather than building another $20m+ mansion. Who knows maybe their actions might help motivate their mindless followers to reconsider their voting habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back