Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly lots of them are probably isolated with no contact with their families and have to shop for themselves. Or too stubborn to stop.
True for too many, but there are also far too many who are being stubborn bastards.

Very compelling if accurate.

Surely the graph would look different depending on which groups were isolated. i.e. anyone overseas or in contact with those overseas or with family overseas and who have disposable income. Bang isolation with an eye being kept on them. Those who have not been out of SA for the last year. No isolation. Extreme cases, but do you get my drift?

The bottom line is to me that curve looks very different depending on who the 70% are who are isolated, or who the 10% between 70% and 80% are who decide not to isolate.

Another hypothetical, those who choose not to isolate are most likely to be those who has the means not to isolate, and who think the rules shouldn't apply to them. Surely that is a demographic we can target (it sounds like the young and the rich doesn't it?).

Just food for thought. A case could be made for those who are most at risk. The elderly should theoretically be the most isolated and provided with the means to stay with loved ones via techniology as a priority until the spread is contained and has reached an acceptably downward trend.
The Uni of Sydney ran a computer simulation that attempted to model the whole population of Australia. It started by creating the software equivalent of 24m Aussies, then applied assumptions about inter-personal contact rates and virus transmissions rates. It then ran scenarios for different degrees of compliance with social distancing.

A strength of the model is that it's very much Aussie based, not one that was developed overseas for a different population. Their results may not apply to smaller geographical areas in Aus with different population make-ups but still very useful for governments.

And I agree - a risk based approach to tackle the virus makes sense.

Logarithmic graphs are the best way to track a pandemic. You cant just assume continued exponential growth.

China and Korea have well and truly turned the corner.

Italy and Iran despite their total cases going up have started to flatten the curve if you look at worldometer.com and will turn the corner soon.

Australia is not that far behind.

This will all be settling down much sooner than predicted and way before a vaccine eventuates.

Looking at the logarithmic graphs and comparing it to other countries (where all fitting the China and Korea bell curves) I predict Australia curve to start to flatten in the next few days, for us to hit peak total cases in 2-3 weeks and for the total cases to be half that number 2-3 weeks later.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't believe the s**t that's being dribbled out of the chief medical officers mouth. He thinks we may end up going into a full lockdown but won't go now? and the 30 minute haircut law changed overnight because "like everything it changes from day to day" 🙄This government is a genuine joke.

The royal commission in 2025 will be enormous.

Logarithmic graphs are the best way to track a pandemic. You cant just assume continued exponential growth.

Italy and Iran despite their total cases going up have started to flatten the curve if you look at worldometer.com and will turn the corner soon.

This will all be settling down much sooner than predicted and way before a vaccine eventuates.

Looking at the logarithmic graphs and comparing it to other countries (where all fitting the China and Korea bell curves) I predict Australia curve to start to flatten in the next few days, for us to hit peak total cases in 2-3 weeks and for the total cases to be half that number 2-3 weeks later.

Please be right :thumbsu:

You haven't quite taken into account that we haven't even entered flu season yet and other countries have come out of them which will no doubt make this worse for us in the coming months. You're also banking on the restrictions that we are at now will take effect in the coming weeks.

I hope you're right and the medical experts here at the Alfred are wrong. I've seen about 55 versions of that graph.

🤞

That's why I look at ones like these two, a deaths logarithmic graphs

1585217289630.png

1585217310161.png

Can't believe the s**t that's being dribbled out of the chief medical officers mouth. He thinks we may end up going into a full lockdown but won't go now? and the 30 minute haircut law changed overnight because "like everything it changes from day to day" 🙄This government is a genuine joke.

The royal commission in 2025 will be enormous.

The longer this goes on the more I think the chief medical officer is a liberal party stooge. Completely at odds with the medical profession it seems

The longer this goes on the more I think the chief medical officer is a liberal party stooge. Completely at odds with the medical profession it seems
The chief medical officer isn't a virologist or an expert in epidemiology and infectious diseases. If the CMO's expertise were those fields he/she probably would have pushed the government harder.

His field of expertise is kidneys and then moved into work on cancer. He has sat/sits on lots healthcare industry boards and was CEO of Austin Health before he got the gig as CMO.

His deputy Dr Paul Kelly makes gravy -ohps that's for the dad joke thread. Kelly is an epidemiologist and you will notice a slightly different emphasis when he talks about things compared to Dr Brendan Murphy.

They are all getting different opinions and they have to balance up health needs with what they think they can sell to society and at what stage as this develops.

Couldn't pay me enough for me to want to do their jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The chief medical officer isn't a virologist or an expert in epidemiology and infectious diseases. If the CMO's expertise were those fields he/she probably would have pushed the government harder.

His field of expertise is kidneys and then moved into work on cancer. He has sat/sits on lots healthcare industry boards and was CEO of Austin Health before he got the gig as CMO.

His deputy Dr Paul Kelly makes gravy -ohps that's for the dad joke thread. Kelly is an epidemiologist and you will notice a slightly different emphasis when he talks about things compared to Dr Brendan Murphy.

They are all getting different opinions and they have to balance up health needs with what they think they can sell to society and at what stage as this develops.

The funny thing is the businesses that are still open , retail , barbers ect all want a full lockdown anyway as they're not getting business , they feel unsafe and they can't access the governments financial rescue package if they're made to stay open. What a mess. Hopefully Victoria and NSW go ahead tomorrow.

He's lost his shirt he's pawned his rings.

The funny thing is the businesses that are still open , retail , barbers ect all want a full lockdown anyway as they're not getting business , they feel unsafe and they can't access the governments financial rescue package if they're made to stay open. What a mess. Hopefully Victoria and NSW go ahead tomorrow.

I saw the guy who owns Just Cuts on the news just before literally begging to be shut down.

e48dcd33643c897ad96da7d3020cbee6a7a4ea6f.png

With everyone panic buying alchohol now we expect to get busy and bringing forward wines that were planned to be bottled june/July to the next few weeks..

The Italian numbers are pretty fascinating the last two days. It initially seems like they are treading water or at worse going slightly backwards, until you look at the amount of tests they are doing (third column at the top).

It seems they are now testing more and more people, whether that's a function of having more kits available, or a function of having the labour resource to achieve this I don't know. It's not an unreasonable stretch to suggest that their new cases have a higher proportion of mild cases now - given the lower % of positives and the wider range of tests. So if it's strategic, perhaps they are shifting focus to a phase of "identify all carriers", rather than being in the totally overwhelmed "only test high risk people" phase.

1585250108117.png

Given the amount of tests done is something they can somewhat control (obviously assuming they have the kits), I've created the below using the positive rates of the day, but assuming they tested the same amount of cases each day, and this is how it would look, and it tells quite a different story:

1585250634947.png

Had a quick look at the numbers for where people are in the system over the same period of time and it does seem to reflect my thoughts. ICU cases as a percentage of the total are steadily decreasing, hospitalised cases have more variance but are somewhat decreasing, and mild 'no hospital' cases are increasing.

The problem is that we can't see where cases are going (ie cases don't just stay in their position until resolution - we can't see which of those that are "in hospital" on the 24th March are new cases, and which are ICU cases that recovered, or "no hospital" cases that got worse).

It is worth noting in terms of hospital strain that they have only increased their total cases in ICU by 1000 in the past week, despite an overall case increase of 39000 in that time.

1585251885848.png

1585251895920.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back