Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VA alone in the USA does 42000 doses per day of this drug, you could safely assume that the daily doses world wide are in the tens of millions. The crazy part is trying to convince everyone that a perfectly safe 65+ year old drug suddenly isn't because Trump uttered it's name.

The crazy part, is the number of folks who feel compelled to gaslight others with the risible "TDS" label... instead of sharing a much more reasonable dismay at folks being encouraged to try a well known medication at home, in inevitably poorly guided doses, for sh*t it wasn't made for, in the panic of a pandemic, with a shady businessman-politician literally cheerleading by example, and without a care for the significant impact on those with life threatening conditions that the bloody drug is actually good for.

Pardon that English sentence and my perfectly reasonable outrage... there's no derangement here.

Trump is merely the icing on a cake of ****.

Very different countries and very different approaches of course. Staggering difference.

To our benefit we are surrounded by sea and are well spread out (apart from big cities like Melbourne and Sydney) but to Sweden's advantage a a high percentage of Swedes live in single occupancy dwellings.

Australian population 25 million
Sweden population 10.3 million

Compare the pair.
0B2AFD1D-809F-4D48-A509-8DB598C5660F.jpeg

Japan population 126.5 million - No Lockdown
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

South Korea population 52 million - No Lockdown
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

I think a lot of it goes to leadership in the first weeks of the pandemic even before the WHO declared it. Trump gets a lot of publicity but looking at the UK Boris really f’ed up. He listened to the herd immunologists like Patrick Vallance, he did not get testing up and running early enough, he didn't lockdown until the virus had taken hold in London and on a personal level he went around boasting that he wasn't afraid to shake hands with anyone and promptly caught the virus himself. The UK is only now closing it's international borders and hasn't yet got a phone tracing app up and running. Boris got Brexit right but he got COVID-19 horribly wrong.

Trump, Bolsonaro and Johnson all left a bit to be desired.

In hindsight, Trump missed a huge window closing down flights from Europe in his initial focus on China. Not clear to me how much that was due to the lack of US testing and tracking at that time, and how much was a consequence of his errr reactive decision making style amplified by existing prejudices and issues.

BOJO most definitely blinked, and expolential maths did it's thing :( It completely blindsided me to hear that they are only now putting the rest of the EU on a 14-day quarantine. So obvious a move (seen from here) that you just assume it was done 'earlier'... that'll teach me to assume.

Bolsanaro is a real piece of work and I wish their supreme court all power and full speed ahead. Looks like Operation Car Wash is going to gift Netflix a season 3 or 4 of The Mechanism.

ScoMo dodged a bullet, well a whole bunch of them. I think when the timelines are pulled apart forensically later on it will confirm the impression from the public statements already out there that the national cabinet thing pulled him forward and he responded well from then on.

First weeks indeed. Otherwise known as "exponential maths".

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Oversimplification much? **** me.

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:
What do you mean no lockdown? Both those countries have had lockdowns as far as I know.

South Korea nails tracking and testing. South Korea is a lesson in how decent leadership could eradicate the virus in the US.

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:
Lol you do know that South Korea are a very compliant community and put in many strict measures and tracing.
Oh and Japan schools closed they were told to avoid closed spaces they are a very organised society and low levels of obesity. Very different to Australia UK and US.

Last edited:
Just heard on the television news that 2 out of 5 Australian are hoping to go overseas next year. They will need to be careful where they go and be prepared to do 14 days in quarantine when they return. I am confident that Australia can get through this as I think there is a good chance we can eliminate the virus from within our borders but internationally that is a real problem. I just don't see places like the US, the UK or Italy being free of this thing for several years, if ever.

don't forget 14 days iso on *arrival* as well in much of the EU and UK. bit of a strain on the old 20 days a year! the old favorite transfer via DXB or DOH will be a 'corageous' decision for some time. south pacific 'bubble' here we come. has NBN reached Lord Howe Island, how will I %^&*post on Big Footy otherwise?

South Korea nails tracking and testing. South Korea is a lesson in how decent leadership could eradicate the virus in the US.

I think several aspects of what SK (and SIN) did re intrusive tracking - I mean both the pre-existing social tracking capability and the ability to add measures in response to emergency not 'culture of compliance' - that wouldn't be legal evenly across the US. Open questions, those, no lawyer here.

I mean if you're a felon lol much of the US seems happy to slap a "stay the **** at home" bracelet on ya but they still can't legally connect it to a bug zapper's worth of 'feedback' if you leave a perimeter to get a bloody burger... can they? ;)

SIN tragically dropped the ball among contingent workers that aside they were on the same fast track. no pun intended.

track and trace what you can, and 'beg'down, mask-down, shutdown or lockdown what you can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Japanese are tidy, clean & barely show physical affection to one another in public.. might have helped

Plus they have Ninja's.

I think a lot of it goes to leadership in the first weeks of the pandemic even before the WHO declared it. Trump gets a lot of publicity but looking at the UK Boris really f’ed up. He listened to the herd immunologists like Patrick Vallance, he did not get testing up and running early enough, he didn't lockdown until the virus had taken hold in London and on a personal level he went around boasting that he wasn't afraid to shake hands with anyone and promptly caught the virus himself. The UK is only now closing it's international borders and hasn't yet got a phone tracing app up and running. Boris got Brexit right but he got COVID-19 horribly wrong.

Trump, Bolsonaro and Johnson all left a bit to be desired.

It doesn't get any better for poor old Boris...

Heard on the BBC that Boris Johnson is in deep shite over the antics of his personal advisor Dominic Cummings who broke the lockdown curfew by travelling 400 kms to see his parents. Boris has come out in support of his mate and the UK public are furious about his 'he only did what any good parent would do' comments. Social media is full of posts about double standards and asking why people could not go round the corner to a relative's funeral but this guy could exit London to visit his parents in Durham. Conservative MPs are being inundated with tweets and e mails re the double standards. Boris is either going to have to backdown on his comments then fire Cummings or face a revolt with his own party.

I also heard a BBC hook up between several European countries with heavyweights such as Tony Blair involved and listening to them I had to conclude that the Europeans have no idea how they are going to get out of this. They were debating the easing of lockdown measures and the general consensus seemed to be that going out of lockdown will result in a spike in the infection rate. I heard Blair talk about 'living with the virus until a vaccine arrives' and the 'new normal' such as wearing face masks on public transport and aircraft. I immediately had visions of WWII London with people walking around with gas masks in canvas bags over their shoulders.

The problem is that the proverbial horse has bolted as they needed to take quick and decisive action back in February when the news out of China was not good now they are in a bind. They have to balance their economy with the health of their nation. It is GDP v the death toll.

I will have to stop listening to the BBC as it is getting way too depressing.

Just heard on the television news that 2 out of 5 Australian are hoping to go overseas next year. They will need to be careful where they go and be prepared to do 14 days in quarantine when they return. I am confident that Australia can get through this as I think there is a good chance we can eliminate the virus from within our borders but internationally that is a real problem. I just don't see places like the US, the UK or Italy being free of this thing for several years, if ever.
If people are going to go overseas they need to pay a hefty levy for the cost of supervising their quarantine.

Heard on the BBC that Boris Johnson is in deep shite over the antics of his personal advisor Dominic Cummings who broke the lockdown curfew by travelling 400 kms to see his parents. Boris has come out in support of his mate and the UK public are furious about his 'he only did what any good parent would do' comments. Social media is full of posts about double standards and asking why people could not go round the corner to a relative's funeral but this guy could exit London to visit his parents in Durham. Conservative MPs are being inundated with tweets and e mails re the double standards. Boris is either going to have to backdown on his comments then fire Cummings or face a revolt with his own party.

I also heard a BBC hook up between several European countries with heavyweights such as Tony Blair involved and listening to them I had to conclude that the Europeans have no idea how they are going to get out of this. They were debating the easing of lockdown measures and the general consensus seemed to be that going out of lockdown will result in a spike in the infection rate. I heard Blair talk about 'living with the virus until a vaccine arrives' and the 'new normal' such as wearing face masks on public transport and aircraft. I immediately had visions of WWII London with people walking around with gas masks in canvas bags over their shoulders.

The problem is that the proverbial horse has bolted as they needed to take quick and decisive action back in February when the news out of China was not good now they are in a bind. They have to balance their economy with the health of their nation. It is GDP v the death toll.

Yes I listened to that segment of worldwide panelists on ABC news radio too.
Was riveting and yes the main takeaway was that we have to open up but opening up will be many times harder and more fraught with danger than the shutdowns were.

Last edited:
Very different countries and very different approaches of course. Staggering difference.

To our benefit we are surrounded by sea and are well spread out (apart from big cities like Melbourne and Sydney) but to Sweden's advantage a a high percentage of Swedes live in single occupancy dwellings.

Australian population 25 million
Sweden population 10.3 million

Compare the pair.
View attachment 880643

They seemed happy to clean out the oldies...

Lol you do know that South Korea are a very compliant community and put in many strict measures and tracing.
Oh and Japan schools closed they were told to avoid closed spaces they are a very organised society and low levels of obesity. Very different to Australia UK and US.

We have Japanese / Korean cleaners who come once a fortnight, man they do the best job, it’s military like. they always rock up and do their job like it’s the most important on earth, loveliest people too.

Try listening to This WeeK in Virology on podcasts.
Fascinating virologists in USA having in depth discussions and answering listeners questions and reviewing some of the thousands of research papers landing on their desks.
Apparently Texas and a few other states have been lumping antibody and PCR texting in together when they are different things with different goals altogether in order to make their covid19 texting numbers look better.
Some suggestion that the CDC might be pressuring states to inflate their numbers due to White House pressure and so that Trump can boast about their testing rates..
A lot of the other discussion is about the virus itself, things happening on the hospital floor and potential treatments etc..

Just shows what works well. Mass testing, the use of technology to trace (merging mobile phone location data and credit card transactions) and putting people who test positive into quarantine in COVID-19 units.

We just couldn't implement all of that here is Aus. On the tech side we've sort of made an attempt with the COVIDSafe app but we're still well short of the government's target. I think the target was 40% of the population or 10 million people and we're currently sitting at 6 million.

Last edited:
Why are we still doing a 14 day self quarantine when coming into our border? Would it not make sense just for those select people (there wouldn't be many) to have a COVID-19 test done upon arrival in SA, self isolate for 24 hours until the test is processed, and once the negative result has been confirmed they can go out and be a contributing member of society? It's not as if we are inundated with all these cases and to the best of my knowledge, we aren't short on tests either.

Would require a bit of logistical juggling for road borders and what not, but 1 day of quarantine as opposed to 14 at this point would be quite a move forward imo.

Why are we still doing a 14 day self quarantine when coming into our border? Would it not make sense just for those select people (there wouldn't be many) to have a COVID-19 test done upon arrival in SA, self isolate for 24 hours until the test is processed, and once the negative result has been confirmed they can go out and be a contributing member of society? It's not as if we are inundated with all these cases and to the best of my knowledge, we aren't short on tests either.

Would require a bit of logistical juggling for road borders and what not, but 1 day of quarantine as opposed to 14 at this point would be quite a move forward imo.
Isn’t it due to incubation time of the virus? As in you may not show a positive test if you were exposed to the virus yesterday but may in a week or two?

I'm all for opening SA now, you can't go lower than zero.

NSW and Vic telling us to open up gives me the shits though, let me guess which way the balance of trade is tipped with those states!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back