Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we still doing a 14 day self quarantine when coming into our border? Would it not make sense just for those select people (there wouldn't be many) to have a COVID-19 test done upon arrival in SA, self isolate for 24 hours until the test is processed, and once the negative result has been confirmed they can go out and be a contributing member of society? It's not as if we are inundated with all these cases and to the best of my knowledge, we aren't short on tests either.
I think it was reported as something like 38000 people entered the state in April. Which is about how many tests we've had in the last month without testing everyone thats entered the state. So you're looking at something like double our current testing if you want to do that.

Queensland -5 due to 'data cleansing'. So Australia still has 7114 positive results despite Vic and NSW recording 5 +ve between them overnight. I guess data cleansing is geek speak for 'somebody ****ed up somewhere along the way'?

The official count is now 7009 so the Commonwealth Dept of Health has subtracted 5 from yesterday's total. So yesterday Australia recorded -2 positive tests. :oops:

Last edited:

I think it was reported as something like 38000 people entered the state in April. Which is about how many tests we've had in the last month without testing everyone thats entered the state. So you're looking at something like double our current testing if you want to do that.

Then increase the testing..the cost of that will be more than offset by people being able to put money into the economy within 1 day of arrival in the state rather than 14.

Mind you I'm an advocate of getting rid of the border quarantine altogether. But if you want to open the place up and still be extremely cautious, this appears on face value the most practical solution.

Queensland -5 due to 'data cleansing'. So Australia has 7114 positive results despite Vic and NSW recording 5 +ve overnight. I guess data cleansing is geek speak for 'somebody f’ed up somewhere along the way'?
Most likely is that the same person was entered into the database twice.

My wife works as a Database administrator and about 80% of her job is cleaning the data thats been entered.

Most likely is that the same person was entered into the database twice.

My wife works as a Database administrator and about 80% of her job is cleaning the data thats been entered.

Maybe someone from the ATO was moonlighting at the DOH?

Then increase the testing..the cost of that will be more than offset by people being able to put money into the economy within 1 day of arrival in the state rather than 14.
Because the cost is totally the only resource limitation in doing tests. Thats a massive increase in the number of tests required over a month, a massive increase on the resources to actually do the tests which might not even be able to be increased simply by throwing money at it.

Because the cost is totally the only resource limitation in doing tests. Thats a massive increase in the number of tests required over a month, a massive increase on the resources to actually do the tests which might not even be able to be increased simply by throwing money at it.
Not to mention population compliance.
I like the idea of the temp measuring screens etc and I really do think we shall wear masks on public transport and any potential congested areas

Mind you I'm an advocate of getting rid of the border quarantine altogether. But if you want to open the place up and still be extremely cautious, this appears on face value the most practical solution.
More money goes out of SA to the other states than comes in.
Not saying we should have closed borders, but having them doesn’t cost us overall, though it will of course affect some businesses more than others.

Just checked the https://covidlive.com.au/sa site for today's update. They usually go with this 7 news social media guy to update from his tweets before the official presser.

But these tweets are also interesting from the last 15 minutes or so.

Premier's presser going to 80 from Monday 1st June, provided sitting down, and can maintain 4m2 distancing so not all venues will have 80.
Sports contact training outdoors from 1st June, contact competition from 25th June. Non contact outdoor competition can start from 1st June,

ABC Adelaide

HhCM318meHE.png

19 mins ·
Public

BOCzaD2rwOa.png

#BREAKING South Australia's Premier Steven Marshall has announced
Stage 2 easing of COVID-19 restrictions has been brought forward to next Monday June 1 2020.

He also announced changes to Stage 2 during a press conference this afternoon stating:
- 80 people will be allowed in venues, provided no more than 20 are in each area.
- Funeral capacity will also be increased to 50 people.
- Outdoor contact sport training will resume, and games to resume from 25 June. Non-contact games permitted from Monday June 1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit more detail from ABC live update page.
Zero new cases in South Australia, restrictions to be eased further

Cinemas, theatres, galleries and museums, beauty salons, nail salons, tattoos, gyms and indoor fitness centres across South Australia will be able to open on Monday, with the SA government bringing forward the relaxation of stage 2 coronavirus restrictions.

Those venues, along with pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes will be able to admit up to 80 patrons, provided they can contain them to groups of 20 in discreet rooms or areas within the business.

Pubs will be able to serve alcohol without food but only to seated patrons.

Rules allowing one person per four square metres, and 1.5 metre social distancing will remain in place.

Up to 50 mourners will be allowed at funerals.

Training for contact sport can resume on Monday, as can competition for non-contact outdoor sports.

Competition for outdoor contact sports can resume from June 25.

Businesses will be required to complete COVID plans and produce them on request.

The state government has been accelerating its plans to reopen the economy, including with a surprise decision to open pubs last Friday evening.

Stage 2 restrictions were originally due to ease on June 8.

Reporting by Nicholas Harmsen

At last that is more like it.

Marshall has realised that not all pubs are the same size. I guess the front bars will have tables and chairs arranged with no sitting at the bar. The bar will be a get served then move away area. Fair enough I will drink to that.

Nearly half of the Twitter accounts spreading messages on the social media platform about the coronavirus pandemic are likely bots, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said Wednesday.

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets discussing the virus since January and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

I hope some of our players begin to take the AFL restriction protocols a little more seriously.

I already know of several crow supporters wanting "revenge" who have witnessed our players breaking the rules.

Be smart guys!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ABC 4 Corners has just aired a story on the Ruby Princess. Some really interesting facts. Particularly the fact that the Sydney Port Authority first refused the Ruby Princess permission to dock on the basis that the ship had reported that .94% of passengers were exhibiting flu like symptoms. Then after a phone call from a Carnival Corporation executive to the Port Authority the decision was reversed as the ship was suddenly deemed low risk.

ABC 4 Corners has just aired a story on the Ruby Princess. Some really interesting facts. Particularly the fact that the Sydney Port Authority first refused the Ruby Princess permission to dock on the basis that the ship had reported that .94% of passengers were exhibiting flu like symptoms. Then after a phone call from a Carnival Corporation executive to the Port Authority the decision was reversed as the ship was suddenly deemed low risk.

The issue for me isn't the docking rather allowing them to disembark without testing. The inquiry (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...s-nsw-inquiry-hears-of-shortcommings/12235396) suggested many issues:

1) the 18 hour old information relied upon
2) Carnival reported two cases of respitory illness but without a corona test kit, it is the responsibility of NSW health to "join the dots"
3) poor communication from the port authority and NSW Health
4) the failure to even test the swabs taken

I appreciate these F ups happen from time to time but NSW health have let the nation down.

That said, I'm of the belief a vaccine is not on its way and we will just have to live with the virus until it mutates and goes away. So in the long run, this F up won't change total death tolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back