Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Queenslanders who refuse to vote because of COVID-19 fears be fined. I imagine that would create an uproar. It would make a good front page story

It isn’t hard to get out of the fine. I received one for not voting in the Melbourne City Council elections but had it withdrawn by explaining that I was originally from SA and didn’t realise council voting was compulsory in VIC. I’m sure “avoiding pandemic” would trump that excuse.

Will Queenslanders who refuse to vote because of COVID-19 fears be fined. I imagine that would create an uproar. It would make a good front page story

Apparently so. Lawyer on the news last night indicated that depending on your circumstances some people may qualify for an exception but they are very difficult to obtain so don't count on it. Lotsa people not willing to risk a $133 fine (per individual).

Apparently so. Lawyer on the news last night indicated that depending on your circumstances some people may qualify for an exception but they are very difficult to obtain so don't count on it. Lotsa people not willing to risk a $133 fine (per individual).
Here, voting is also mandatory, but the fine is symbolic!

It isn’t hard to get out of the fine. I received one for not voting in the Melbourne City Council elections but had it withdrawn by explaining that I was originally from SA and didn’t realise council voting was compulsory in VIC. I’m sure “avoiding pandemic” would trump that excuse.
You were luckier than me. I didn't vote in the Ballarat council elections, received a fine then wrote back using your argument - recently moved from SA where voting isn't compulsory. I didn't get any sympathy. Had to pay the fine.

You were luckier than me. I didn't vote in the Ballarat council elections, received a fine then wrote back using your argument - recently moved from SA where voting isn't compulsory. I didn't get any sympathy. Had to pay the fine.

Mine didn’t get accepted initially either but I just assumed that they don’t even read the excuses and deny everyone. As soon as I challenged it over the phone I got it resolved.

Here, voting is also mandatory, but the fine is symbolic!
25 years ago it was $25 or $30 in New South Wales. I was away on holiday for 3 weeks so I left before postal votes were sent out and i got a pass.

Cannot believe the Queensland Local Government elections will go ahead tomorrow. Expect a huge spike in positive test results in Queensland next week. Thank god we have closed the South Australian borders.
Pre-voting polling booths opened around three weeks ago. So like myself and many others. Us Queenslanders have been voting over that period of time to avoid the massive queues like they have in Adelaide during election times.

Queenslanders should always refuse to vote. Would certainly do us all a favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-voting polling booths opened around three weeks ago. So like myself and many others. Us Queenslanders have been voting over that period of time to avoid the massive queues like they have in Adelaide during election times.

In South Australia we do not have compulsory voting in Local Government elections and voting is on line.

According to SEVEN News this morning there are over a million Queenslanders who still have to cast a vote.

Deputy CMO Dr Paul Kelly's presser

14 Deaths, one more today.

Since start, 389 people hospitalized = 11% of total cases, only 30 transferred into intensive care beds currently.

Of 3,400 cases median age is 48 years. oldest 98 and a couple of small babies

67% of all cases remain travel related inc 496 cases from cruise ships

Most active cases, they have found where the person contracted from.

Addressed 2 points.

1. Concerted effort turn off tap from O's. Midnight tonight anyone coming back from O's will be taken to hotel from airport staying for 14 days - PM announced this yesterday.

2. Intensive care beds and hospital beds. Intensive care beds have doubled capacity with ventilators ready now. Are well and truly ready and wont be seeing peak on 10th April as reported.

Emerging issue with WA cruise ships. Arrangements working on getting Germans and Kiwis home.

Asked if any questions. There were none.

Last edited:
We do need journalists.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the people being laid off though...

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To an extent we do but it's a workforce that should be cut by probably 80%... just look at the way information is spread using Covid...

WHO has an official website feed and an official twitter feed. Everyone who can access the internet can get both of these sources of information directly, unmanipulated, from the source. The same with all of the other major sources, such as CDC and John Hopkins. There are even aggregating sites showing all of the information at once. We also had the best (in my opinion) description and dialogue about the problem directly from Tomas Pueyo on Medium. Again, anybody can access medium, and the information is democratically promoted to the widest reach based on shares on social media.

Why do we need a bunch of lying clickbait-focused morons to take that raw information and spin it in whatever way they've been told to by Murdoch in order to manipulate people? What does a bottom feeding scumbag like Mike Smithson actually add to that process?

There is definitely still a place for good journalism, to have people that are willing to go in to to dangerous or interesting places and report facts back, or ask questions and hold politicians genuinely accountable, but that describes such a tiny minority of journalists today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back