Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those three states all report their figures for the past 24 hours before 11am. They have done this for the past week or so.

Tomorrow morning they will report the next 24 hour period.

SA reports around 4pm.
Worth saying that the time frames on the numbers are a bit different from when they were announced. Victoria's latest numbers was those as of 4pm yesterday. NSW's was as of 8pm yesterday. So even though they do report early in the morning (NSW is typically 7:30am, Vic about 9am), their numbers are a little behind. Our latest numbers were as of 4pm yesterday and appear to be pretty close to whenever they get announced. However, you're 100% right Ford - the numbers are always for a 24 hour period, and therefore relevant for comparative purposes.

Even medicos are flouting orders to self-isolate. A story in the Age reporting that 33 medical professionals who landed at Sydney Airport on a flight from South America on Friday night disobeyed police orders to go into quarantine at an airport hotel. Federal police stopped 7 of the 33 from boarding domestic flights but the rest succeeded. Doctors will wind up hurting innocents including their own.
How useless are the FP if they can't stop a bunch of doctors boarding domestic flights??

We have had good management and had hospital

Only a problem if you want a hard lockdown.

I would prefer a grim reap aids ad approach. PM stands in front of the nation and says If you don't participate in social distancing, the authorities will brand you like the Nazis banded the Jews, with a cattle prod branding iron on your forehead, big enough so everyone can see, 10cm x 5cms, people will then keep their distance from you, if you wont keep it from them, and if you end up in hospital, doctors and health workers will say fu** you you didn't listen - no medical treatment for you.

That's a tough but fair across the board policy and leaves the community going about at a reasonable level of activity without complete shutdown when we aren't close to a Italy, US, China, Spain, France etc situation.

Norman Swan probably doesn't think that is hard enough.
If they’re not closing schools then what’s the message they’re sending. It’s serious but not that serious? Kids are invincible to this virus? We’ll close them soon once we have things in place so our economy doesn’t fall to s***? They’re trying to manage the situation rather than hit it hard. Would love to know what an independent body of the nations top virologist’s, doctor’s, scientist’s etc approach would be.

If they’re not closing schools then what’s the message they’re sending. It’s serious but not that serious? Kids are invincible to this virus? We’ll close them soon once we have things in place so our economy doesn’t fall to s***? They’re trying to manage the situation rather than hit it hard. Would love to know what an independent body of the nations top virologist’s, doctor’s, scientist’s etc approach would be.
Its about practical common sense. If parents can't look after kids then they have to go somewhere and school is better than the shopping centre and out and about. You still need people making things, food in particular delivering things, providing essentials services, services that are borderline essential services.

As I said we are not Wuhan, Italy, USA, France, Spain.

The shut everything down immediately now people, lack common sense in my opinion.

the 'we are port adelaide' thing soon went out the door as soon as a bit of financial pressure hit, how gutless are the players to run to the safetynet of the AFLPA than stand by there fellow workers at the club and support them by sacrificing their salary for the sake of the people who work at the club, these so-called heroes of the footy field are getting spooked of what might happen to them instead of growing a pair of you-know-what and being a team they claim to be. It just goes to show you all the hot-air these guys give you over the years is nothing but virtue signalling at its finest. If the club actually showed at this time what a team really is then the community would actually respect it and support it, its the equivalent of running back to mummy & daddy as soon as you need a bit of cash.

Large scale shutdowns of significant magnitude like NZ and Italy are still not perfect. There is non-compliance that continues to be an issue, and the longer the shutdown goes on, the more noncompliance there will be. Additionally, shutting down a couple of weeks is achievable... but there are plenty of jobs that are "non-essential" that as time goes by become more and more of an issue. Not only that, large scale shutdowns have other downsides, such as increased domestic violence and mental health issues. There is potentially less physical activity that could create long term health impacts. These are all public health issues, and very complex to weigh against each other.

The government is clearly trying to find a tight balance between it all, and I think it's important to note that many of the countries that have put in place heavy measures are those who didn't get ahead of the curve, and are forced to shut everything down to avoid further damage to their already overwhelmed health systems. It is not our objective to reduce infections to zero... it's actually to keep it at a safe rate.

Its about practical common sense. If parents can't look after kids then they have to go somewhere and school is better than the shopping centre and out and about. You still need people making things, food in particular delivering things, providing essentials services, services that are borderline essential services.

The shut everything down immediately now people, lack common sense in my opinion.
They should have shut schools to everyone but the kids of essential services and at risk kids. Schools could manage this on an individual basis really quite successfully. But this half assed approach that the government is going with will be judged harshly when this gets catastrophically out of control and the government were warned time and again to get ahead of it.

And just on this I know there are kids turning up to school everyday with one of their parents who feel no shame in telling us that they are working from home. What??
Pro tip people if you don’t have to leave home for work anymore then don’t send your kids to school and don’t shop on weekends. It really isn’t that hard Not to be a selfish git

They should have shut schools to everyone but the kids of essential services and at risk kids. Schools could manage this on an individual basis really quite successfully. But this half assed approach that the government is going with will be judged harshly when this gets catastrophically out of control and the government were warned time and again to get ahead of it.
The government is 9 governments ie national cabinet of the feds, 6 states and 2 territories making this decision.

If the virologist and epidemiologist had compelling data they would have shut them down by now. All they are working on is assumptions and opinions.

The messaging that it's safe for kids to gather in large numbers at schools but it's dangerous for them to gather elsewhere in the community is appalling and so typical of the mixed messaging from leaders that is causing so many people to not take this seriously

And just on this I know there are kids turning up to school everyday with one of their parents who feel no shame in telling us that they are working from home. What??
Pro tip people if you don’t have to leave home for work anymore then don’t send your kids to school and don’t shop on weekends. It really isn’t that hard Not to be a selfish git
That’s a bit of a hard one though because working from home is still working. It is very hard to supervise kids, potentially home school then and still get your job done at the same time.

It is not our objective to reduce infections to zero... it's actually to keep it at a safe rate.
I agree with all of your post, but this is fundamental to the government trying to balance this and should be remembered by those who see the case numbers and scream, we're gonna be Italy, we're gonna be Italy, we're gonna be Italy next wee/next fortnight, without looking deeper.

That’s a bit of a hard one though because working from home is still working. It is very hard to supervise kids, potentially home school then and still get your job done at the same time.
Hopefully this will lead to a massive increase in respect from the general community for the incredibly complex work that teachers do every day when things are back to normal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully this will lead to a massive increase in respect from the general community for the incredibly complex work that teachers do every day when things are back to normal
clearly not going by what PG said

I'm working from home,but still sending my two children to childcare. The centre they go to is a very small centre with a stable group of kids. They aren't bringing in any new kids at the moment, and are excellent with their infection control. I would have zero chance in getting any work done with a 2 and a 3 year old here. My wife works at a school and it is still essential that she be there to finish preparing all the remote learning.

I get your point with kids beyond a certain age, but it doesn't work for every age and child. I have a choice at the moment between sending my kids to childcare or losing my job, and even then I wouldn't have eligibility for NewStart because my wife earns ~55k.

I’m not advocating for complete shutdown of schools. I realise kids of essential services have to go somewhere. Any data on countries where there is total school closure NZ , Italy, UK about the kids of essential services employees? Where are those kids or have schools remained open for them?

I’m not advocating for complete shutdown of schools. I realise kids of essential services have to go somewhere. Any data on countries where there is total school closure NZ , Italy, UK about the kids of essential services employees? Where are those kids or have schools remained open for them?
Typically open for essential workers and acting as a daycare service. For information, our schools aren't far away from this for next term, as most schools have attendance levels below 30% already, and this is likely to keep falling.

Typically open for essential workers and acting as a daycare service. For information, our schools aren't far away from this for next term, as most schools have attendance levels below 30% already, and this is likely to keep falling.
So sounds like they’re going to be forced into it. Leadership

How amazing that people were able to find a solution to this I took one look at it and thought that’s practically Bitcoin mining times a Rubik’s dodecahedron.

Everyone with a media presence feels entitled to add their opinion, informed or otherwise. But how good is the response ;)

View attachment 848921

Kano should stick to firefighting or whatever it is he does these days..

“(so far)”

Why the rider Kane Corner if it’s all just a bit of hyteria (sic)?

Parents will pull out their children as the case numbers hike whether they can look after them during the day or not. My cousin and his closer friends are high school teachers across three city high schools and they report to each other that their numbers are down to as low as about 10 students per class. They reckon it is mainly Year 12s going.

Parents will pull out their children as the case numbers hike whether they can look after them during the day or not. My cousin and his closer friends are high school teachers across three city high schools and they report to each other that their numbers are down to as low as about 10 students per class. They reckon it is mainly Year 12s going.
My Mrs works at a very large R-12 school. Classes are 5-10 across the board. Absence rate rose from about 45% on Monday to 70% on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back